• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

worth skiing this weekend

ajl50

I'm wondering what everybody thinks about this weekend. I've got a hotel reservation by belleayre so that i could check out their demo weekend but with the warm weather and the chance for i'm thinking i should just cancel the trip, lose my deposit and live to fight another day. What do people think the conditions will be like. I've also never skied in spring conditions so i'm a little unsure about that too.

SkiDork

hehehehehehehe....

He said - "is it worth skiing this weekend"

Thats preachin to the choir dude...

It's ALWAYS worth skiing....

Vortex

I'll be out if the lifts are open. Foul weather gear may be in order. The snow is always soft if there is NCP and it will keep the crowds down.
A freeze after the mosture is where the issue gets a bit shaky.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, as said, we're all going to be skiing regardless :lol: That said, right now things aren't looking so good :roll: That hopefully will change. Do your snowdance.

skibum1321

I was planning on taking some PTO to do the ski with the Point day at the Bush on Friday. I won't be taking the time off or paying for Sugarbush, but I'll be up at Smuggs for the weekend. If I had to pay for lift tix I would think twice about this weekend but with a pass I'm definitely there.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sorry.... you must go....

Sorry, AZ members have no choice but to ski. It's our destiny and our mandate :)

Take a positive spin on this- NE season is too short; squander no ski days on flatlander activities; Try something new - you're sure to be a better skier for it; you'll probably pickup some new skills.

I only have two reasons not to ski:
a) It's bona-fide raining throughout the mountain
b) It's freezing rain on the highways (unless the snow conditions above the transition zone warrant it... :)

uh, maybe three - if it's a marriage breaker, you know like a wedding, graduation, party.... Then again, you shouldn't be planning such events during ski season :wink:

GO FOR IT!!!

loafer89

I would wait another day or two if you can to stay on top of the forecast. I have been reading that some of the NOAA models have the rainstorm on friday staying further south :D

Belleayre has good base depth that can withstand the thaw, and there is about 8-12" of natural snowcover as well.

The rain looks to be a quick hitter on friday night into saturday, followed by some arctic air and possible snow showers for the Catskills.

ajl50

Yes I agree that its always worth making turns. Let me clarify my question. Is it worth paying for a hotel and lift tickets for wet granular and spring conditions. I've never skied spring conditions so i don't know what it is like and am wondering if i should save some money for a colder period.

SkiDork

ajl50 said:
Yes I agree that its always worth making turns. Let me clarify my question. Is it worth paying for a hotel and lift tickets for wet granular and spring conditions. I've never skied spring conditions so i don't know what it is like and am wondering if i should save some money for a colder period.

Spring is the absolute best time of the year.

My favorite 2 months are April and May. I live for those 2 months.

loafer89

Based on the current forecast, you should wait. I think the spring conditions will only exist before/during the rainfall. Once it gets colder it will be icy for quite some time until snowmaking resumes.

Belleayre has a strong snowmaking system and they manage the snow fairly well.

skidbump

loafer89 said:
I would wait another day or two if you can to stay on top of the forecast. I have been reading that some of the NOAA models have the rainstorm on friday staying further south :D

Belleayre has good base depth that can withstand the thaw, and there is about 8-12" of natural snowcover as well.

The rain looks to be a quick hitter on friday night into saturday, followed by some arctic air and possible snow showers for the Catskills.

Dont know waht happened yesterday but belleayre was all frozen granular today...i was there on sunday and it was great but today sucked...frozen and some loose"groomed today" most was groomed yesterday and it was solid and lotsa ice"yes i mean ice"

skijay

As long as its a warm rain on Saturday, I may ski. I will not go to Mount Snow (Bronze pass). I have done Butternut during a rainy weekend. Most people stay home. Just wear rain gear.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Looking a bit better for the northern parts of New England.

Over the last three days.

European computer modeling (ECMWF,UKMET) has been disagreeing with the American GFS and the Canadian global (GEM). Above, these two models showed a wide ranging dispute along the east coast, creating a tremendous amount of uncertainty in the forecast this weekend as it stood on Tuesday.

If the earlier solutions of the American/Canadian version wins out - It will mean potential for flooding rains taking away a lot of our snow, followed by moderate backlash snows replacing some of what was lossed. However, more and more, it appears that this threatening rain system may only affect southern New England into Pocono's and Catskills, as the massive western storms actually nudge the easter storm further east by Saturday. This will help to bring colder air in quicker in New England.

Both the Canadian and the European model is releatively more accurate in the longer range, but recently, these two models have been suggesting either heavy rain or nothing at all, while the American model had huge flooding rains/ All three earlier models seem that they wil be wrong. The reason---blame it on the west coast storms messing up, what we call, 'teleconnections." But we may end up 'thanking, not blaming' the west

Place your bets?

Roger Hill

loafer89

According to Accuweather the above normal weather is eating away at the snowpack which is below January averages:

iws6b_430.jpg

iws6_430.jpg

Still no real cold weather in sight for the next 10 days or so :angry: :evil:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
lyndon was an ice skating rink this morning, seriously. three cars on the side of the road and i was fish tailing down the highway. in town, was going 10-15 mph and fishtailing on the downhills. couldn't get up the road to the college at 8am so i waited at the dinner until sanders could loosen things up a bit. it was crazy dangerous this morning and doesn't bode well for the local ski areas which likely saw a similar freeze after the rain event.

:eek:

RISkier

We've been in Stowe all week. Conditions have been quite good. This morning, roads were awful early with lots of accidents. Took quite a while to get to the hill. Conditons were a bit firm but edgeable on top with bhero snow lower. It became somewhat spring like later. Tomorrow will depend entirely on temps, when the cold front comes through it's going to get icy.

SKIQUATTRO

looking like rain on Sat, cold air filling in behind it Sat night/Sunday..I am seeing ICE!!...thinking of heading from CT to VT Sunday AM.....hmmmmmmmmmmm, just dont know