• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Would you get bored with 365-day skiing?

abc

there was good, substantial snow in the hills 12 months a year. How many days would you be out there? Would you give up your other sports/activities? Could you get bored?
Would I get bored? Yes.

Would I give up other sports/activities? No, because of above.

How many days would you be out there? Now, that's a different question. I'll definitely be out there more than what I've managed to do so far.

Since I am obsessed with skiing I don't think I would get bored if I had 365 days of it. However, I do love spring, summer and fall too with all those seasons have to offer so I don't mind if my skiing season starts in October and ends in June.
That would be my take too.

I personally don't think I would enjoy it as much. Half the fun for me is the anticipation.
There's a lot of truth in that, too.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I may have misunderstood the question. If you mean that skiing could be available 365 days a year, not that I would ski everyday, then absolutely yes! Even with any day of the year skiing, I probably would struggle to break 100 days though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I have a friend that has a season's pass to Stowe and a house nearby. He skis in the morning, then spends the rest of the day and evening with his family. That's a good deal if you can get it!

I don't think I'd want to have access 365 days a year. The excitement of anticipation is a good thing that would get lost. Just like living in the woods, I'd just get used to it and start to take it for granted. I do have other activities I enjoy and as my family grows up, that will change things too.

ToddW

Heck yeah -- I struggle to get enough time on snow. Using all my vacation, holidays, weekends, etc. I only got in 52 days last season. Adding most of the remaining weekends of the year would get me comfortably past 100 days. Still not enough to sate my obsession, but a step in the right direction.

Riverskier

If I could ski year round I would, and I would never get bored. No question about that. However, I think the ideal season for me would be from October 1st to May 31st, or some othe variation that results in an 8 month season. That would be the perfect compromise for me. That would give me time to enjoy other activities, but more importantly would allow for the anticipation of seasons to come. I love the excitement that comes from thinking about the upcoming season, and the amazing feeling of making those first turns. While I would never tire of skiing year round, i think I would lose some of the appreciation.

chrisrunsi

If I could ski 365, I'd like the option, but I would miss my kayak and camping on top of mountains in spring and fall, and beaching. So long as there are options, I'd be okay. If you meant ski every day..... well.... I could do it, but it would be lacking in enthusiasm.

Much the same. The ability to ski 365 would be awesome but also having the ability to hit the beach, camp, rafting would make it perfect. I guess I just have to get a personal jet :razz:

frozencorn

If I could ski year round I would, and I would never get bored. No question about that. However, I think the ideal season for me would be from October 1st to May 31st, or some othe variation that results in an 8 month season. That would be the perfect compromise for me. That would give me time to enjoy other activities, but more importantly would allow for the anticipation of seasons to come. I love the excitement that comes from thinking about the upcoming season, and the amazing feeling of making those first turns. While I would never tire of skiing year round, i think I would lose some of the appreciation.

This.

ta&idaho

Mammoth usually opens in November, but they pretty frequently have a 7-8 month season.

One thing California has going for it is there is pretty much no outdoors down-time (think rainy Fall and late Spring days, not to mention rainy Summer and Winter days). Virtually all of the precipitation produces snow in the mountains, so its pretty much always either sunny down near the coast or snowy up in the mountains (and very often both at the same time). For someone who loves to ski and enjoy various other outdoors pursuits, its tough to beat a place like San Francisco, where you can enjoy "summer" sports nearly year-round and ski November through April or May. I'd take that weather pattern over being able to ski on a glacier 365 days a year.