• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WROD, or will you wait?

So as I was sitting in Barker lodge on sat afternoon, that familiar warm fuzzy feeling in my quads, I overheard an older bethel local talking to someone who had skied. He was bitching and moaning that he'd have to get out on snow in two weeks for the seasonal kids programs (he's a coach) and had absolutely NO intention of getting any time on the hill between now and then. He lives in bethel, has a pass...doens't have to drive far, doesn't have to shell out any money...but refuses to ski the WROD and doesn't even want to ski on "early" season conditions at all. How about you...are you down with the WROD, get out there ASAP, or are you content to wait until there is "white in the valleys" as is the guy I overheard in the lodge. How do we turn this into a poll? WROD or wait for white?

Greg

Staff member
I'm down with the WROD.

AdironRider

Last season I was out there open to close opening day here at Jackson ripping groomers on AV. This year, most likely not. Its one thing to get the jones out, but day in, day out riding the WROD while you stare at the upper mtn goods just isnt good for the soul if you ask me. Its like going home with a sure thing, then only getting to make out with her.

But Im in Wyoming, while there will be the WROD come Nov 29th (well not really, but groomers will be all thats skiable if you want to stay healthy for the goods and not blow out a knee), the pass at 10000 feet will be skiable pow. So I can just go for a hike and get better goods than anything back east. But if I were to live in Bethel, I couldnt see why a couple runs wouldnt hurt.

Well that was rambling, but I guess the WROD is nice and all, but its not worth bending over to try and get to it kind of thing.

crank

As an old fart myself I have enjoyed my share of WROD skiing through the years and have no desire to ski until there is a good bit more open. First trip is usually early to mid December. This year we have a weekend planned, probably at K, Dec. 13 &14.

bvibert

Staff member
WROD works for me, as long as I don't have to drive too far or shell out too much money...

prisnah

Was planning on skiing the WROD this past weekend at SR. As long as the lifts are turning I'll be up there at least one day next weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of it and honestly wouldn't bother if I didn't have a pass and my girlfriends family wasn't in the area.

As is, i'll be going more to play around on whatever rails and kickers they got going on than actually skiing.

If I was still living up there, I'd be out there everyday though.

Bottomline: Not a huge fan and wouldn't go out of my way or pay to ski it, but if it's there and it's free, why not?

hammer

WROD works for me, as long as I don't have to drive too far or shell out too much money...
+1

Also, I wouldn't burn a vacation day for skiing a WROD, I'd rather save a vacation day for better conditions (if they show up) in December.

Some locals become so freakin jaded. When I went to UVM some students who were so-called diehard skiers didn't even bring their skis up to school until after Thanksgiving. When I lived in Montana people didn't even bother to ski until things got filled in...there are rock skis for a reason.

Me personally I just enjoy skiing so I'll ski every chance I get whether it's a little hill or big mountain..you never know when your last day on earth will be...life is to short to wait for better conditions. The worst thing for me is to read TRs when I haven't been skiing. Back when I was a kid and couldn't drive..I was always envious of those who made opening day at Killington in October when my first day wasn't until Blue opened in early December....so ever since college, I've always made it a point to hit opening day..whether it's at Mount Snow, Belleayre, Killington, Okemo..wherever..Aside from my bills..the only thing I have to spend $$$$ on is skiing and I definitely get alot of bang for my buck skiing..since it's priceless..

For a sport like golf that I enjoy but am not diehard about..I won't go out and play in pouring rain or nasty cold weather..but I feel guilty if I skip a day of skiing if it's raining...It's tough to ski 327 days in the past 3 seasons being a fairweather skier..

Last season I was out there open to close opening day here at Jackson ripping groomers on AV. This year, most likely not. Its one thing to get the jones out, but day in, day out riding the WROD while you stare at the upper mtn goods just isnt good for the soul if you ask me. Its like going home with a sure thing, then only getting to make out with her.

But Im in Wyoming, while there will be the WROD come Nov 29th (well not really, but groomers will be all thats skiable if you want to stay healthy for the goods and not blow out a knee), the pass at 10000 feet will be skiable pow. So I can just go for a hike and get better goods than anything back east. But if I were to live in Bethel, I couldnt see why a couple runs wouldnt hurt.

Well that was rambling, but I guess the WROD is nice and all, but its not worth bending over to try and get to it kind of thing.

Ahahahahaha..you're already getting jaded..I would rip laps on the AV groomers to add to my seasons vert total..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'll be out bushwhacking some BC downslope pathways Tuesday since Obama and Johnny turned down my request for a cabinet position.

Don't know what WROD is if it's not a radio station in Daytona Beach...

Geoff

There were only around 100 cars in the KMart parking lot today. The surface was nice and soft. 'Twas a white ribbon but a pretty pleasant one.