• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wyoming??

ski&soccermom

You were all very helpful a few years back when a friend of mine from Texas wanted to ski in Colorado at a small resort that would be comfortable for beginners (at the time they had only ever done one sub-zero week with us at Mount Snow). They found Cooper (NOT Copper) mountain and fell in love and have gone every winter for years. Next winter, they would like to find a similar hidden gem in Wyoming. Does anyone have ideas? They do not need any resort amenities, but do need access to easier terrain so I picture Magic but flatter? (Coming from the NY girl who has only ever skied the northeast). Thanks for any ideas!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Second Grand Targhee. If you are looking for something off the radar than another option, assuming it is still in operation, is White Pine Resort just outside of Pinedale, Wyoming. You're an hour from Jackson Hole, but not paying J-Hole prices. The Wind River range is spectacular. Pinedale is pretty low-key and has the basic amenities.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Targhee is awesome, but White Pine is more likely in line with what the OP seeks.
Depending on how they get there, if they are coming from SLC they might be able to throw in a sidetrip to Pine Creek if the snow is good:

KustyTheKlown

Targhee is great..when you can see it..not for beginners though.
Jackson may not be a hidden gem but it has plenty of terrain for beginners..

most disorienting white out ive ever been in was at targhee

maybe its because i've only been to targhee as the chill day in the midst of lots of aggressive jackson skiing, so targhee feels tame, but i perceived it as pretty mellow and likely beginner friendly. tho i admittedly didn't actually investigate their beginner slopes/small lifts.

AdironRider

Targhee beginner terrain is minimal, but is pretty much solid to upper level intermediate skiing everywhere. Best snow in the west.

Do not underestimate the visibility comments posted here, it can be brutal and will instantaneously make everything a double black.

2planks2coasts

Would they be driving or flying? White Pine is on the Indy Pass and depending on where and how they are traveling, there's plenty of other Indy Pass places they might be going by. The closest is Snow King in The town of Jackson, but while they have some easier terrain, they have a lot more steep stuff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Would they be driving or flying? White Pine is on the Indy Pass and depending on where and how they are traveling, there's plenty of other Indy Pass places they might be going by. The closest is Snow King in The town of Jackson, but while they have some easier terrain, they have a lot more steep stuff.
Yeah, I was thinking that Snow King is pretty steep....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Targhee beginner terrain is minimal, but is pretty much solid to upper level intermediate skiing everywhere. Best snow in the west.

Do not underestimate the visibility comments posted here, it can be brutal and will instantaneously make everything a double black.
They do call it "Grand Fog-ee" for a reason.

ski&soccermom

They would be driving -great idea!

LonghornSkier

Not Wyoming, but IMO the most underrated place to ski in the west is Lost Trail MT/ID (it's on the border).

Not expensive, consistent snow, and a great mix of terrain for everyone.

Tonyr

I skied two days at Grand Targhee a few weeks ago, it's no frills but an outstanding experience. There is plenty of intermediate terrain, the beginner terrain looks equivalent to White Pines although I didn't ski any of it. Targhee does have some steep areas but for the most part it's pretty tame especially compared to Jackson. The tree skiing and snow was excellent we were in knee deep powder both days and never waited anymore than 30 seconds in line. I'd highly recommend Targhee as your under the radar place to ski in WY, it's probably the best resort in the state next to Jackson. We stayed in Victor ID which was 35 minutes away and a nice little town, Driggs is 15 minuites closer to Targhee and is also a nice home base as well. The resort is pretty remote so I'd recommend staying in one of those two towns if you go.

Last edited:

Tonyr

Yes. That is on my list.

Also, Ski Discovery (Montana) is a fun place.
A colleague of mine has skied lost trail, while he liked the skiing he had mentioned to me that the lifts are old and slow.