• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wyoming??

LonghornSkier

A colleague of mine has skied lost trail, while he liked the skiing he had mentioned to me that the lifts are old and slow.
That is correct. But that didn’t really bother me because there were no lines... Still felt like I was getting plenty of turns in.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A colleague of mine has skied lost trail, while he liked the skiing he had mentioned to me that the lifts are old and slow.
Yes, a lot of Montana areas have very old lifts. Many reused from other places.

raisingarizona

For small, off the radar ski areas Wyoming doesn’t have much worth a vacation imho. Snow King is really cool but it’s super steep. I’ve been told that per vertical foot it’s one of if not the steepest ski areas in the country.

Montana on the other hand is deserving of a cross state ski safari road trip. There’s a bunch of cool and funky mid sized mountains up there.

jaytrem

Another problem with the small WY places is that most are not open 7 days a week. Same with a lot of the small MT places. Makes trip planning a bit tricky. Sadly I just cancelled my small area MT/SD/WY trip. Hopefully get em next year. May substitute something driveable like a southeast trip. Figure I gotta get diwn there some day and got lots of Indy tickets.

flakeydog

I am not sure what your geographic range is but we hit up Pebble Creek in Idaho on a trip between SLC and Bozeman. I was just looking for any ski area that was somewhat on the way be it northern Utah or eastern Idaho. It is only 6 miles off of I15 and is about 15 miles from Pocatello. Such an awesome place! Small totally local feel, completely unassuming. We joked that the base lodge looked like the local Cumberland Farms (architecturally speaking). But- it has 2200 vertical drop, great steep glades (the kind with actual trees for us eastern folk) as well as open bowls and some cruising runs as well. Well worth the trip in my mind.

Tonyr

I am not sure what your geographic range is but we hit up Pebble Creek in Idaho on a trip between SLC and Bozeman. I was just looking for any ski area that was somewhat on the way be it northern Utah or eastern Idaho. It is only 6 miles off of I15 and is about 15 miles from Pocatello. Such an awesome place! Small totally local feel, completely unassuming. We joked that the base lodge looked like the local Cumberland Farms (architecturally speaking). But- it has 2200 vertical drop, great steep glades (the kind with actual trees for us eastern folk) as well as open bowls and some cruising runs as well. Well worth the trip in my mind.
That's a good called. We drove by Pebble Creek on the way up to Big Sky and thought about stopping but didn't have the time. The trail map looks great there too, glad to hear that it was! Pocatello had some life in the town as we drove through it. That wouldn't be a bad place to stay as a home base. ID in general felt like a booming metropolis compared to the states of MT and WY.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's on my list to ski....

jaytrem

Yup, Pebble Creek is great, good call! Skied with a local "character" while I was there. Older guy bombing the hill nonstop, still got his # in my phone in case I need a place to stay next I'm in the area. So yeah, friendly locals!