• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

BenedictGomez

ecskier.jpg

chuckstah

T2 today at Sunday River. Decent Bumps by noon timeIMG_20181019_115310374_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

WJenness

NWS Forecast for our two open areas (Summit forecasts):

K:
5eKyriP.png

SR:
yg7lJfZ.png

Looks like K will get back snowmaking temps sooner and have a bigger window.

Let's see what they do with it.

Newpylong

Correct I would not recommend using it for precipitation forecast but the temperature gradiant by elevation, and I noted you have to cross reference. Precipitation makes no difference when planning snowmaking windows. Temperature, humidity and wind data are king.

dlague

Opening day Terrain Summary:
SR: 1 Lift, 2 Trails, 12 Acres
K:2 Lifts, 2 Trails, 5 Acres
Wow that is funny to look at. Wolf creek has 960 acres open with 4 lofts but opened on the 13th with 3 lifts a shit load of trails and over 400 acres with no ropes.

A Basin opened with 28 acres while Loveland opened with 40 acres. Both WROD like SR and K. Wait time in lift line about 15 minutes yesterday as A Basin. The wait for our mugs about 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Wow that is funny to look at. Wolf creek has 960 acres open with 4 lofts but opened on the 13th with 3 lifts a shit load of trails and over 400 acres with no ropes.

A Basin opened with 28 acres while Loveland opened with 40 acres. Both WROD like SR and K. Wait time in lift line about 15 minutes yesterday as A Basin. The wait for our mugs about 3 hours.

A Basin view from yesterdau12604.jpg

slatham

re: weather forecasts, almost all "graphical" forecasts, including NWS, use the GFS model. I think the various mountain forecasts based on elevation are suspect. Use with caution.

Jully

Sunday River is down to just T2 (had Upper Punch Friday and Saturday) today. Snow report says some walking off the top of the lift may be required. Anyone there to confirm? I was there Friday and it was solid coverage on T2 with what felt like soft April bumps. April weather with an October base can't last super long though.

Looks like Killington can (and is) making snow right now, but from what I can see SR doesn't have the temps yet.

machski

Sunday River is down to just T2 (had Upper Punch Friday and Saturday) today. Snow report says some walking off the top of the lift may be required. Anyone there to confirm? I was there Friday and it was solid coverage on T2 with what felt like soft April bumps. April weather with an October base can't last super long though.

Looks like Killington can (and is) making snow right now, but from what I can see SR doesn't have the temps yet.
I take this as actual conditions but no big deal. They are closed Mon-Fri and with the cold coming in Midweek to the start of the weekend, they will be back to both runs in great shape of not TTB. Assuming the cold air doesn't moderate between now and then.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

kbroderick

We were skiing right off the lift this morning, and there was plenty of frozen material to slide on ("snow" might not be exactly the right word for some of it). I'm not sure if they may have run out of snow at the loading ramp at the base later in the day, though—it was pretty minimal in the morning, but it also didn't warm up much, if at all, today.

Jully

I take this as actual conditions but no big deal. They are closed Mon-Fri and with the cold coming in Midweek to the start of the weekend, they will be back to both runs in great shape of not TTB. Assuming the cold air doesn't moderate between now and then.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

The fact that they close anyway from M-F really saves them for sure. I hope the cold comes as forecast. I was really hoping for ttb next weekend.