• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big storm coming???

ScottySkis

But why? You have a pass at Bell not Platty!

Yes I not posting all my reason
1 is season pass price for Bellaire Gore and Whiteface which I have is just little more than Platty. And Platy is generally open about half the time of Bellaire Gore or Whiteface
I have few other reasons
I not working now so me saving as much money is very important
So is being able to ski with my friends
So this year is what best for me
Maybe next year I buy NY ski gold pass

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
If the 6 pack wasn't down, I would suggest you go to Hunter. Seems like they got the goods, and had a fair effort at expanding terrain underway. Should be good skiing there....

That's a real drag about Bell.

I'm planning on skiing this weekend, and just can't zero in on where. Bell would be the easy choice if I thought they would open up some fun stuff, but it doesn't look like it. Could even spend the night somewhere friday to increase my range, but just not sure it will be worth it. Would gladly do that for Platty, but not sure what will be open...

What do you mean 'no bumps' policy? That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

I'll be at Belle tomorrow.
Not going to Hunter, would have to pay for a ticket.

Mostly I'm just goofing around although I'm really not impressed with what Belle is doing right now. They are definitely not letting trails bump up as much which is really disappointing. Why so little is officially open is a mystery to me. I'm going to guess they got caught with their pants down and have too few patrollers to cover the whole mountain.

I'll just have to go check it out myself looks like plenty of snow.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

at a place like belleayre where being at the top of any lift allows you to access the entire resort, i wouldn't really care very much about what is and isn't open after a 2 foot dump. just read the terrain and be smart about it and ski it.

JimG.

Staff member
at a place like belleayre where being at the top of any lift allows you to access the entire resort, i wouldn't really care very much about what is and isn't open after a 2 foot dump. just read the terrain and be smart about it and ski it.

That's the plan boss.

I think I'm a little bit more fussy about my skis than you though. I'll start out with my rock skis and switch over to my Kore 105's if warranted. Cornhead told me he got no base damage today so that's encouraging. Would love to bring out the new 105's but the rock skis will do just fine at first.

Cornhead

Was delightful??? The lifts run til 3:30 ya know. Get yer ass back out there!
Ha, we skied from 9:30 - 2:30, I'm toast. I kept telling myself all those chunky groomer days in November were preparing me for powder...they weren't. I'm just fat and old.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

[emoji106] were a few water bars to avoid, but generally conditions couldn't have been better, sunny to boot, and the new gondola was nice to ride as it was quite breezy. Nice and calm in the trees!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Ol Dirty Noodle

Belle was a blast today, rope policy was fuck em and duck em today, everything was in play, couple of mandatory creek hops down low but I found my down Seneca, Dot Nebel, Mohawk and Algonquin without issue, the lower trail back to the gondola from overlook were borderline to deep for the lack of pitch.
35e696def0dcac703eacc0c8939fc9c8.jpg

KustyTheKlown

That's the plan boss.

I think I'm a little bit more fussy about my skis than you though. I'll start out with my rock skis and switch over to my Kore 105's if warranted. Cornhead told me he got no base damage today so that's encouraging. Would love to bring out the new 105's but the rock skis will do just fine at first.

in general i go hard on my bases, but i'm fussier this year. my old love of my life moments finally died their final death at the end of last year. my 2017 DPS wailer 105s became my rock ski when the moment retired, and i got black crows corvus to replace the dps as the eastern daily ski. still havent mounted those. anyway, i'm more precious about the DPS and i actually said no a couple times last weekend where i would have said yes on the moments.

first world problem when your super high end ski becomes your beater.

magic may be gnarly on saturday and the dps may get a bit dinged up

Sirbannedalot

Yes I not posting all my reason
1 is season pass price for Bellaire Gore and Whiteface which I have is just little more than Platty. And Platy is generally open about half the time of Bellaire Gore or Whiteface
I have few other reasons
I not working now so me saving as much money is very important
So is being able to ski with my friends
So this year is what best for me
Maybe next year I buy NY ski gold pass

You said Belleayre should be forced to give all their snow to platekill. I asked why why would you want to give away the snow from the mountain that you have a pass at to a mountain you don't have a pass at?

ScottySkis

You said Belleayre should be forced to give all their snow to platekill. I asked why why would you want to give away the snow from the mountain that you have a pass at to a mountain you don't have a pass at?

That was a joke
And I actually did not another AZ members did
It was funny

jaytrem

Ha, we skied from 9:30 - 2:30, I'm toast. I kept telling myself all those chunky groomer days in November were preparing me for powder...they weren't. I'm just fat and old.

Well I'm glad you got a great day in. Hopefully we cross paths some time this year. Seems like we keep missing by a day.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Typical house stuff...no biggie. The vent has been getting a little loud so I'm not surprised it gave up.

Somethings going on at Belle and I suspect it's Bruce Transue. I think he was sent to Belle by Hunter to screw things up. Frankly his season opening strategy (if you can call it that) is awful. And his bump (or more accurately no bumps) policy stinks. They have devoted zero snowmaking to steeper terrain and just blew some snow on upper Wanatuska a day or two ago. One lousy half black diamond trail open and if you want to ski it you then have to take Iroquois Road back to the bottom of the gondola.

Really just totally pathetic. And now they're going to waste this 23" snowfall because it fell mostly on dirt. I was thinking of going there tomorrow but now I think I will go to K for 2 days Wed Thurs.

"No Bump policy " Have to wonder if that is a dollar and cents issue vs safety thing . I would wager more people get seriously injured on groomers vs bumps .

It takes less base to support a groomed trail vs a mogul run . Keeping base under the trough is key to prevent the sun from melting out the trough .

jaytrem

The ride home yesterday at 230 was a breeze..I though it woukd be a shitshow but it was fine

Lucky you! I left Wilmington at 4:30 and it was mostly blizzard driving on the NY Thruway. Luckily not many cars out. Shockingly I only saw one accident the whole way home, 18 wheeler off the side of the Thruway.

tnt1234

well, time to get serious about where to ski saturday.

Coming from NJ. Bell and Hunter are 2-3/4 to 3. PLatty is 3-1/4-3-1/2. I usually don't day trip platty.

Kind of feel like Hunter has the where with all to expand trail count for the weekend, and maybe even open the new stuff, which I haven't skied.

I like Bell a lot better, but sounds like they are slow playing expansion, and I'm thinking the poachable trails will be a little skied off by Saturday.

If I knew platty would have a few steeps open, I would probably go up friday night and ski there saturday.

Votes?

kingslug

Im thinking mt snow..hotel..then hunter..hunter on a saturday...especialy this saturday will be a zoo..Bell trail count is pretty low. Platt woukd be the best to avoid crowds..depends on their trail count..