• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe or Okemo this weekend?

abc

"suspension"? Not dealing with a full deck are you?.

Anyway, sure after the tourons go probably they'd use the pass other places, and Flail and Keystone could come to mind, but Breckenflat? Puleese. Like a MRG regular going to Bromley or Flatton to try something different.:roll:

And let's see, the tourons leave after the places close in April right after Easter, so what's left open? Wait. It would be AB, yes? Heroic cluelessness- you're approaching Epic. Epicfail.
You ARE the touron. And you don’t even know it. Keystone over Breck? That tells the whole story!

KustyTheKlown

a-basin is better than anything owned by vail in colorado.
in summit/grand/eagle counties i'll take winter park over anything owned by vail too.
breck is certainly overrated, but i prefer it to copper. agreed re: statement of useless high lift to windblown alpine bs.

Last edited:

drewfidelic

No matter where you'd prefer to ski, if you can't have fun at Okemo, or Keystone, or Breck, or wherever, you're doing it wrong. While we would all prefer to be at the mountain with the best steeps, bowls, and trees with no lift lines with fresh snow at perfect weather, most days that you're out are going to be some compromise. So maximize what you can, but just enjoy being out on the snow and never begrudge others for going to the flatter, more boring, more corporate resort down the road -- so whatever you prefer, you can ski.

jimmywilson69

thread took a weird turn...

A-Basin is great, so is Breck. Plenty of stuff to ski at Breck that isn't vanilla, dude sounds like the jaded local from Powder Magazine.

I'll be checking out Keystone for the first time when I'm out there along with Breck and A-Basin. I'm sure there is plenty of great stuff for this PA Dude to find interesting and challenging at Keystone.

Dickc

no matter where you'd prefer to ski, if you can't have fun at okemo, or keystone, or breck, or wherever, you're doing it wrong. While we would all prefer to be at the mountain with the best steeps, bowls, and trees with no lift lines with fresh snow at perfect weather, most days that you're out are going to be some compromise. So maximize what you can, but just enjoy being out on the snow and never begrudge others for going to the flatter, more boring, more corporate resort down the road -- so whatever you prefer, you can ski.

this!!!!!!!!!

gmcunni

No matter where you'd prefer to ski, if you can't have fun at Okemo, or Keystone, or Breck, or wherever, you're doing it wrong. While we would all prefer to be at the mountain with the best steeps, bowls, and trees with no lift lines with fresh snow at perfect weather, most days that you're out are going to be some compromise. So maximize what you can, but just enjoy being out on the snow and never begrudge others for going to the flatter, more boring, more corporate resort down the road -- so whatever you prefer, you can ski.

this +2

ghughes20

+3.

Hell, I've had fun skiing at Mt. Peter (Warwick, NY) with the kids not long ago. Skiing a small mountain on 100% groomed man-made snow is better than sitting on the couch watching TV. We spend too much time arguing about degrees of "better".

kingslug

Ive skied all these places and cant say i have ever had a bad time. Stuck in Denver i took a bus to Breck..found steeps and a nice storm at the top . A Basin was awesome as well. Considering some of the stuff we ski on here..a foot of powder on any terrain can be a gift.

Edd

I was prepared to dislike Breckenridge and Keystone when I first tried them a couple of years ago but I had a great time at both. I was afraid of crowds but it wasn’t that bad (weekdays) and I enjoyed the terrain.

The list of places I genuinely don’t like skiing much amounts to 2, both in the East. Just a matter of how they flow, for me. It’s pretty easy to have fun at nearly any ski area.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

gregnye

The only ski area that I've left halfway through a powder day on was Okemo. There was just too much snow to ski it. Even the black diamond tree runs were too flat--couldn't even turn in the glade, just had to go straight.

Okemo is by far the worst large ski area on the east coast.

kingslug

I got stuck there when a big storm closed the roads..18 inches fell and i did find a few runs that i could get going on..it is kind of flat..

Los

I was prepared to dislike Breckenridge and Keystone when I first tried them a couple of years ago but I had a great time at both. I was afraid of crowds but it wasn’t that bad (weekdays) and I enjoyed the terrain.

The list of places I genuinely don’t like skiing much amounts to 2, both in the East. Just a matter of how they flow, for me. It’s pretty easy to have fun at nearly any ski area.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Which two?

big_vert

thread took a weird turn...

A-Basin is great, so is Breck. Plenty of stuff to ski at Breck that isn't vanilla, dude sounds like the jaded local from Powder Magazine.

I'll be checking out Keystone for the first time when I'm out there along with Breck and A-Basin. I'm sure there is plenty of great stuff for this PA Dude to find interesting and challenging at Keystone.

Anyway, Brekenflat is the least of all the I-70 areas, and yes, anyone who considers AB one-dimensional is completely and truly clueless. Taking Breck over AB means you have to be a Stratton "expert" who have a multitude of excuses not to ski anything over a green cat trail.

Keystone doesn't get a lot of love (remembering all of the Epicski posts), but I've had a ball there. Excellent area. Go up and straight back into the Outback and there's great tree skiing, and, there's a good Cat ride to some great terrain.

jimmywilson69

I was wondering if the Cat Ride is worth the wait and $$. I have a friend of a Friend who lives in Summit County and has always shit on Keystone. It seems the farther you get away from the base area the better the skiing looks.

While I agree that the "trails" at Breck are kinda meh, there is some good stuff on Peak 10 and above tree line when its not a windblown mess. I don't need to defend A-Basin, it speaks for itself. Totally worth it to pay for in my opinion. I mean I bought a ticket and a bloody mary for $78!

abc

+++

People who had to put down other’s preference are typically the kind who’s insecure of their own preferences. So they have to constantly justify theirs by crap on any different others have.