• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky

crank

Both are great mountains, but, if in Jackson I would stay there.

Big Sky is big and worth a week on it's own...takes a few days, at least for me, to learn where you want to go.

Shredmonkey254

We did the drive from Jackson to Big Sky cause skiing was bad at JH and great at BS. Gorgeous drive, nice way to see the country. But, the trip back got delayed because pass was closed due to snow which was gonna add many more hours of driving. Turned into an expensive vacation! Super 8 at base of access road is cheap, but eating at Bucks T4 which is part of the hotel isn’t cheap, just delicious. Great memories! Personally, I think Big Sky is the far superior resort.

Zand

big sky def also more expensive to stay. jacskson has lots of cheap decent motels in town. big sky not so much. i stayed in west yellowstone, far as fuck, but super cheap. by the end of the trip i sprung for a single room in someones house on airbnb to stop the madness. that whole jaunt was when i had utah xmas booked and it didnt snow at all in utah. drove up to big sky and made it work.

Yeah I've noticed that. Figure if I go up there, I'd stay in West Yellowstone on the way up. Then the night or two I stay up there I saw a place that has little cabins nearby for $130 a night or maybe just drive to Bozeman which is closer than West Yellowstone.

3 hours to Big Sky from Jackson is nothing. Last year I skied 22" at Alta, didn't get to the base of the canyon till 5 because of the resulting traffic shitshow, then drove 5 hours to Jackson. 3 hours is fine and if there's a big storm I'll just stay put instead of trying to drive up.

skimagic

I'm also headed to Big Sky, plan to ski there 3 days with one day at Bridger Bowl. I'll be staying in Bozeman most likely.
does anybody have any experience with the skyline bus shuttle from Bozeman?
Other cheap spot was whitewater inn or the corral motel on main road. other than that lodging prices are pretty expensive

SnowbirdDevotee

I just got back from Jackson/Targhee. I was lucky enough to ski "the big dump" for 3 days. Someone said there was a mogul somewhere on the mtn, but it turned out to be only a rumor.
I would ski Jackson for 1st half day. Then Targhee Monday, JH tuesday. Then if you are up to it consider driving to Big Sky for change and just to do it. But a 3.5 hr drive is a lot(too much!) after a day of skiing. Probably better to drive in am and ski when you get there.
Last year I stayed at a $100/nt LaQuinta near BZN airport, but it is out of your way in other direction from JH. Maybe you can get a hotel w/in an hour of BS w/o going past it for more driving.
Recent big snow is meaningless for how it'll be in 3 wks, except you are assured of a good base and everything open at JH.

abc

I'm also headed to Big Sky, plan to ski there 3 days with one day at Bridger Bowl. I'll be staying in Bozeman most likely.
does anybody have any experience with the skyline bus shuttle from Bozeman?
Other cheap spot was whitewater inn or the corral motel on main road. other than that lodging prices are pretty expensive
Yes, the shuttle from Bozeman totally rocks!

I would totally use the bus instead of driving if I were staying at Bozeman. In fact, you can do the whole trip without bothering with a rental car. (but rental car is quite cheap so the saving may not be much)

Hawk

Not everything. If you want to ski the North snow field(which I highly Recommend) you need the same as the Big.

skimagic

Yes, the shuttle from Bozeman totally rocks!

I would totally use the bus instead of driving if I were staying at Bozeman. In fact, you can do the whole trip without bothering with a rental car. (but rental car is quite cheap so the saving may not be much)

We got a car for some flexibility and to go to the hot springs and BB midweek. , but didn't want to drive it down the canyon to BS if it snowed. I just found out about the bus so we'll give it a try.

Pez

Last year when I went to big sky I used big sky shuttle inc for a ride from the airport to the huntley lodge at big sky. round trip was $112. They had shuttles every 2 hours i think. It was cheaper than a rental especially when I knew i was just going to stay put. Different from OP's situation but just throwing it out there.

Zand

JetBlue just announced a new nonstop route from Boston to Bozeman starting in June. Will operate in summer and winter.

This might actually give me a reason to stay put in Jackson and maybe do a Montana trip next year. But playing it by ear for now. Maybe they'll get around to a Boston to Jackson nonstop at some point too since they have one to Steamboat.

Zand

Time to revive this...one week to go. Seems like pretty much the same situation still.

Also, if I dont go to Big Sky I'd probably do a day at Targhee. Worth it for $74?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Time to revive this...one week to go. Seems like pretty much the same situation still.

Also, if I dont go to Big Sky I'd probably do a day at Targhee. Worth it for $74?

Grand Targhee is AWESOME. Only downside is that the fog/clouds make it difficult to ski since so much of it is above treeline. One day is good, but you probably will want two.

And if you are tempted, we are having an awesome winter here in Utah. 100" bases at Alta/Snowbird with BCC not far behind.

FWIW on my trip to Montana two weeks ago they DID NOT have nearly as much snow as we do down here or at Jackson. I am pretty sure that Big Sky is in the low snow category. Storms have just not hit them.

Zand

I'll be in Utah in April. Wish I went earlier in January when they were getting 3 feet every week. Unless Big Sky gets a big dump next week I might just stick to Jackson since they're having a banner year and do Big Sky next year.

I have to pay for Targhee so probably just one day there. Unless I take a rest day I'll exhaust all my Ikon days at Jackson so need one day somewhere else, they seem,to fit the bill.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll be in Utah in April. Wish I went earlier in January when they were getting 3 feet every week. Unless Big Sky gets a big dump next week I might just stick to Jackson since they're having a banner year and do Big Sky next year.

I have to pay for Targhee so probably just one day there. Unless I take a rest day I'll exhaust all my Ikon days at Jackson so need one day somewhere else, they seem,to fit the bill.

....and don't mention IKON in Jackson or else the locals might get angry. :lol:

jimmywilson69

I was supposed to go to Jackson last year with a friend and his son, and we were going to go to Tarrghee. Since it ended up only being my son and I we didn't rent a car, so no Targhee. I say definitely go there. shorter drive and as others have said pretty cool place.

Zand

....and don't mention IKON in Jackson or else the locals might get angry. :lol:

It stays in my pocket so no one would know I even have it (except at places without RFID but they all do out there). I did notice a way more negative vibe regarding Ikon in Utah last year than I did in Jackson.

chuckstah

Definitely worth it I had a couple of my all time best days there. Of course 3 feet in 2 days helped a bit. Great mountain.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Noticed it more on the Snowbird tram than anything.

So trying to figure out Targhees map...is that entire right side of the map all cat skiing terrain (which says it's $475 to do???)?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Noticed it more on the Snowbird tram than anything.

So trying to figure out Targhees map...is that entire right side of the map all cat skiing terrain (which says it's $475 to do???)?

As to Snowbird, I'm surprised. It simmers, but under the lid normally. Alta I saw people get aggro.

As to GT, the main mountain is EASILY skied off Dreamcatcher. IMHO Blackfoot is awesome. As to Sacajawea, it has some decent skiing, but as you see, it ends well below that summit and their intent is to add another HSQ to the top someday that would get all that skiing to looker's right. The orange shaded area on the map is cat skiing. I would not let that deter you though. Grand Targhee is really awesome. Feels so authentic and low key when compared to J-Hole.

And fun fact: the family that owns GT used to OWN Vail as well as "Booth Creek Resorts" (Loon, Waterville Valley, Cranmore, etc).