• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

Have some respect for the women of the valley!

I shouted out to the pups ' you lying dog-faced pony soldiers!'

No crowds at Lincoln - if any lines - 5 mins 10:30-11:30 HG at 2 - 10 chairs in front of me at the Rock at 9:45-10 AM.

Same later in day.

Everyone has spread out to go to other Ikon mountains maybe?

trees were good - the wet snow/rain early in week packed it down.

lots of newbies out there - just like each of us were some time, somewhere. . .

Any news on next years arrangements w regard to passes? People want to know. . . .

Slidebrook87

Very warm today but good conditions early in the day. Started at Ellen and went back to Lincoln around 10:30. I timed the bus too: 20 minutes. Keep in mind this was the first run of the morning (8:00) so there were no crowds to wait for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

4cdbba747cec2d7eed6300e2b0e8f4b2.jpg

Hawk

This weekend was really big fun for my wife and I. We lapped woods run after run on Saturday. First time this year. Rode singes line all Saturday so we didn't feel the lines as much. Today everybody left. No lines. lift line and Middle earth softened and were great. No complaints. Did Slidebrook a bunch. Coverage was fine. Actually my faith was a little restored. Skied several places that no one had been. I guess the internet has not ruined everything. :)

mikec142

But my favorite is when I see people in the woods that ask "where does this go" or "can i follow you" It takes all I have not to tell them to go blow or send them in the wrong direction. I don't because I feel responsible and usually screw up my own plan to get them out. I truly hate that.

Can I follow you? :razz:

KustyTheKlown

lol based on this thread I set out to find bear claw, which I’ve probably skied before as I’ve explored most of the gap between HG and CR just not knowing names. I’ve skied the easier entrance to the church once a few years ago. Anyway, I set out to find bear claw, and I found it, but managed to cliff out on the way to it. I had a nice skiable path but noticed at least one set of footprints climbing back up. I decided to roll the dice and proceeded. It wasn’t a bad cliff, maybe a 10-15 footer with a gap in the middle so you could hop to it, pivot and hop down to the clear area below. I successfully hopped to the first landing. Then, as I am pivoting to turn mid air and stick the second drop, my high ski caught a branch and it spun me out and I fell on my shoulder and kind of my head. Was fine, got up, skied away, had a great run. Gotta go to know.

Slidebrook87

How much of an affect did this warm weather have on the snow cover?

Hawk

The overall coverage and snow depth so far has not gone down that much but the condition of the snow will be just like any other time that it gets warm and then it freezes. Unless of course we get some snow. The forecast is looking a little better on that front. I think the higher up the hill you go the more snow you will see by Thursday night. There is also talk of Upslope. We will see.

Slidebrook87

One issue that I’ve noticed lately has been the lack of beginner terrain on the Lincoln side of the mountain. Most beginners gravitate towards the Gate House Express which also happens to be the most crowded lift on the mountain. Once at the top of Gate House, the only obvious easy way down is Pushover. The main issue with Pushover is the park rats bombing down it. Do you think that it will ever be a possibility to cut another trail to the skier’s right of Birch similar to the photo shown here?
935d1ed46135782bf1a4f59cac7f7601.jpg

KustyTheKlown

^this. my girlfriend is a true beginner and not very likely to ever progress to intermediate. the one time she skied at Lincoln peak she experienced icy pushover, with zipping park kids, and she fell a few times and she yelled and cursed at me, and now she won’t ski at Lincoln Peak. There really is nothing there for the beginner who has progressed just a little past the bunny slopes.

WinS

^this. my girlfriend is a true beginner and not very likely to ever progress to intermediate. the one time she skied at Lincoln peak she experienced icy pushover, with zipping park kids, and she fell a few times and she yelled and cursed at me, and now she won’t ski at Lincoln Peak. There really is nothing there for the beginner who has progressed just a little past the bunny slopes.

Hmm. Somehow lots of first timer skiers and riders are still here and quite good. :daffy:

As far as beginner off of North Lynx a better option is skier’s left of Sunrise.

WinS

Talk 8-12 through Thursday. Wind is looking nasty at45-55 with 70mph gusts

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The worst is forecasted to pass through in the morning. We should get some decent accumulation on the mountain.

Slidebrook87

Hmm. Somehow lots of first timer skiers and riders are still here and quite good. :daffy:

As far as beginner off of North Lynx a better option is skier’s left of Sunrise.

You’re right about it being better to the skier’s left of Sunrise. Much better profile with no double fall line.
46b26fd43ebac56fa1de1d1f4de53b13.jpg

cdskier

There's another reason why skier's right of Birch would be a potentially unpopular option... :grin:

Sirbannedalot

One issue that I’ve noticed lately has been the lack of beginner terrain on the Lincoln side of the mountain. Most beginners gravitate towards the Gate House Express which also happens to be the most crowded lift on the mountain. Once at the top of Gate House, the only obvious easy way down is Pushover. The main issue with Pushover is the park rats bombing down it. Do you think that it will ever be a possibility to cut another trail to the skier’s right of Birch similar to the photo shown here?
935d1ed46135782bf1a4f59cac7f7601.jpg

There is a trail there if you ski the trees.