• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

zoomzoom

vt's response to the virus depends on the actions of others in neighboring states. so we'll see what you folks can accomplish in the next few months. i admit it is likely that the economies of many states will tank, because the orange shitstain isn't up to the task of leading the country through this mess.

VTKilarney

Everybody is ignoring the quarantine rules in Vermont. There are tons of New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts license plates on the roads.

JimG.

Staff member
Everybody is ignoring the quarantine rules in Vermont. There are tons of New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts license plates on the roads.

Who wants to deal with any potential hassle? I don't go skiing to deal with that.

I can live without skiing in VT for a season.

chuckstah

Looks like NH only for me this season ( maybe some Maine days also), won't be spending a dime in VT like JimG. I'm not sure how VT will survive an entire year with very limited out of state visits. NH should be harvesting the Lions share of tax dollars that VT will lose. As Edd said, NH will be packed if this continues. I now think a midweek Epic is the play at less than $350 with several NH options.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

I am interested to see the NH rooms and meals receipts for july and August, latest data I can find is from june. Spent last week at squam lake and it was absolutely slammed with out of state plates. The MA, CT and RI plates are nothing new but it felt like the number of mid Atlantic and even south east plates were up significantly.

Per NYT tracker vermont maine and new Hampshire holding strong as the three lowest per capita new cases for yet another week.

As a midweek NH skier I am not looking forward to increased crowds but the reality is that catitash has plenty of excess capacity the vast majority of the season. Also, 16 acts as a natural filter for the day trip crowd from the population centers. Crotch is empty midweek, not sure about sunapee but i doubt crowds will be a problem the handful of tuesdays or wednesdays I ski it this year.

Last edited:

cdskier

I am interested to see the NH rooms and meals receipts for july and August, latest data I can find is from june. Spent last week at squam lake and it was absolutely slammed with out of state plates. The MA, CT and RI plates are nothing new but it felt like the number of mid Atlantic and even south east plates were up significantly.

I'm not overly surprised. From an NJ perspective, NH is considered "safe" and doesn't require people to quarantine when they come back to NJ. One of my friends took his family up to Lincoln, NH for the first time instead of their original planned family vacation in DE. DE would have required 14 days quarantine when they returned to NJ which would have been a problem for his wife's job. FWIW, his kids said it was their "best vacation ever" and liked the hiking and other activities better than going to the beach in DE. I'm sure he wasn't the only one from NJ that decided to head north instead of south for a summer vacation.

urungus

How do you know they haven’t quarantined? Or even that that they need to quarantine ... there are “green” counties in all 3 of those states.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Last edited:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I believe VT is going to lift some if not all travel restrictions come fall and winter after reading this. https://vtdigger.org/2020/08/21/sco...economic-recovery-including-150-gift-cards-/
If they plan to invest 10 million into tourism they have to lift the restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app
This is interesting
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/im...ne-after-traveling.html#.X0PXSAx0cVc.facebook

JimG.

Staff member
Well it's true that it is still 90 days to Thanksgiving so anything can happen still.

We shall see.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Restaurants .....tough business without covid . Wondering if they got covid $$$

Very cheap air fare now . I took a vacation in Colorado last week $176.00 round trip Philly to Denver . Lots of United jets mothballed in Denver.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My comments were about gross revenue for the two restaurants. Point being, there's still been a significant amount of people in Stowe spending money this summer.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

ALLSKIING

Staff member
My comments were about gross revenue for the two restaurants. Point being, there's still been a significant amount of people in Stowe spending money this summer.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app
I haven't been up to Killington in 2 months but a friend has been up at his place for two weeks now and said he has never seen it busier during the summer. Its everyone taking "local vacations " instead of traveling far.

boston_e

VTKilarney

How do you know they haven’t quarantined? Or even that that they need to quarantine ... there are “green” counties in all 3 of those states.

Don’t be so naive. There is zero enforcement and everybody knows it.

And those green counties aren’t where most people live.

37811FE5-5344-4608-BEBA-CB0CC11D2B16.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

And those green counties aren’t where most people live.
View attachment 27030

Oh NO; I'm banned from going to Vermont again starting today!

And a county right by me that was banned yesterday is not banned today!

Life moves fast.

h0f6pas019sz.png

Bonus points for it being because of a prison population, who I'm pretty sure are "quarantined".

cdskier

Oh NO; I'm banned from going to Vermont again starting today!

And a county right by me that was banned yesterday is not banned today!

Life moves fast.

The map is updated on Fridays, so you've been back to being banned like most of us in NJ for a few days now! I still think this whole "by county" thing is a little ridiculous...

BenedictGomez

I still think this whole "by county" thing is a little ridiculous...

I don't think it's a terrible idea. Obviously it has inherent limitations, but I get the logic.
Makes more sense for, say, New York State than Rhode Island obviously.

What I've never understood, however, is why Vermont thinks, "active cases per million" needs to be normalized to Vermont's data. I dont know if I'm missing something obvious, but I fail to see the logic there. I also dont know what they mean by, "known metrics", and AFAICT, they never explain it, which seems pretty important.

After weighing each case based on the date that case is reported, our model adds them together. This number is combined with census data to determine “weighted active cases per million.” The model now has the correct distribution and relative values for county infection levels but needs to be normalized to bring total values into line with known metrics. To achieve this, the algorithm multiplies its outputs by a scale factor α that has been calculated based on Vermont's epidemiological data. This returns the final value of “normalized active cases per million” in a county. It is this final number that is compared to the 400 cases per million

At any rate I'll be able to go to Vermont again in a few days, because the Vermont model has a significant recency bias which is pretty obvious to figure out if you know your counties' data per day, and our "bad data" for my county was from last week.