• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskill mountain that is least crowded on the weekends

rob56789

Hey guys I was just wondering which mountain you think would be least busy on the weekends, Belleayre, Hunter, or windham. Over the past few years I’ve had a midweek day off of work so I’ve been spoiled with no lift lines but at my job now I’m off weekends so I’m just wondering what you guys think is my best bet. Thanks in advance!

cdskier

Plattekill is by far the top choice in the Cats for low crowds.

Belleayre would be my number 2 choice and was my Cats choice for years on day trips on the weekend over Hunter or Windham before I discovered Platty, but it is a distant #2.

rob56789

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on the forums but I remember Plattekill always know to be less groomed and less snow making. Does that still hold true? I’m a blue groomer cruiser trail type skier. Nothing against Plattekill just wondering if it would really fit my skiing ability

JimG.

Staff member
It’s been awhile since I’ve been on the forums but I remember Plattekill always know to be less groomed and less snow making. Does that still hold true? I’m a blue groomer cruiser trail type skier. Nothing against Plattekill just wondering if it would really fit my skiing ability

Belleayre has tons of low angle and blue terrain.

But Plattekill is the best choice for fewer skiers; there is sufficient snowmaking but I would agree Platty is best when the winter has been kind with lot's of snow.

BenedictGomez

Then stick to Windham. You probably won't like Platty if you can't handle real skiing terrain and/or want all machine groomed skiing. I'm saying that in a purely factual way, not a trying to be mean.

mbedle

Then stick to Windham. You probably won't like Platty if you can't handle real skiing terrain and/or want all machine groomed skiing. I'm saying that in a purely factual way, not a trying to be mean.

What??? Can't handle "real" skiing terrain? WTF does that mean?

BenedictGomez

What??? Can't handle "real" skiing terrain? WTF does that mean?

Non-groomed terrain, natural terrain, terrain in trees, and/or anything else not significantly altered by human efforts.

If he can't ski that stuff, there's no point sending him to Plattekill.

cdskier

Yea, for the type of terrain the OP is looking for, I'd probably skip Platty. I'd still choose Belleayre over Windham though from a crowd perspective. Both have enough blue cruiser terrain though to make someone looking for that terrain happy. Windham probably has a bit more of that terrain, but also will be more crowded than Belleayre.

tnt1234

I've never skied Windham, but had occasion to be in the area a few weeks ago and stopped by to check it out.

Looks like more continuous vertical than Bell.

How is that...I think it's called "discovery bowl" area between the two lifts? How often do they get enough snow to open that up?

rob56789

Facepalm .....If your're going to troll for Windham at least choose a different avatar :slap:

Sorry brotato chip it’s been awhile since I’ve posted on here. 2006 join date. At the time I was in college and windham had a cheap college season pass. Didn’t realize avatars were that serious I’ll be sure to change it for you asap. I’m looking for some people to ski with you seem like a good guy. We should meet up some time this season.

drewfidelic

Windham is probably the best mountain on the Catskills for intermediate cruisers and progressing from there. But it is also generally the most crowded on weekend days. (Though I didn’t ski Windham since they moved the quad over to C lift, which might help it flow better?)

Hunter overall draws slightly more visitors, but can spread them out better and advanced skiers can find their away around the crowds. Intermediates are more crowded in at Hunter and. it’s much more difficult to avoid crowds.

Plattekill is definitely the least crowded overall, but isn’t as intermediate targeted as Windham.

I’ve actually never skied Belleayre, but it’s probably the answer here.

And this year, who knows?

tnt1234

It's pretty easy to avoid crowds at Bell, except for the fact that lifts often go down.

rob56789

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the limited Belleayre season pass. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to avoid the crowds? Best place to park, which lifts and trails to head for etc?

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the limited Belleayre season pass. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to avoid the crowds? Best place to park, which lifts and trails to head for etc?

Stick to the slow fixed grip lifts like lift 7 and Tomahawk. Lift 7 has a midstation that accesses tons of blue terrain. Tomahawk will get you to Deer run which is the longest blue trail on the mountain.

Hard to say what parking will be like this coming season so no advice for you there.