• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

icecoast1

Lmao. That rural Virginia county probably has population under 2k and travel to neighboring counties is necessary to get to dat dem Wally-mart and de Dolla' Gen'ral where the RONA is sky high but they're safe to come to VT because they're in the lucky zip code.

I think a better way VT could go about this is tracking their hospital capacity. If under x number of ICU beds are available, ban all out-of-staters.

Is there even anyone in an icu bed in VT due to Covid currently?

gittist

The new safer ski area COVID standard operating procedures are at https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=1035. Looking forward to seeing people wearing MOPP suits and going through decon stations before they get in a lift line. Safety is the number one priority! Does this go too far? Not for some.

drjeff

Is there even anyone in an icu bed in VT due to Covid currently?

There are seven people that are hospitalized. They do not say how many of those are in the ICU.

For reference perspective, looking up hospital bed stats for the State of VT, there are 835 total hospital beds in VT (there are actually likely some more, but the stats for the VA Hospital in White River Junction aren't included), and 135 ICU beds in the state of VT. Obviously not all of those ICU beds would/could be used for just serious COVID patients, as there are almost always patients sick and/or recovering from other medical situations, without COVID, who will occupy some of those ICU beds

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Those are definitely the worst state stats I've seen yet.
No daily testing stats
No 7 day avg positivity rates
No geographical data

MA, RI, even Maine have way better state stats, WAY better

They don't want people to know how little Covid there is in their state so the "re-open now!" people don't get too agitated. VT has done a terrific job keeping it out, I'll give them that.

kingslug

[FONT=&quot]Nearly all of this is happening through socialization — an evening party, drinks after work, hanging too close with too many people. Many of the transmissions have occurred in the late evening, after partying, when peoples’ guards are down.

This is the problem.
My worry is this will happen in VT once things ramp up. Hope not or this season will end quickly.
If you just show up ..ski..then go back to wherever you came from it might work. Big ski houses with lots of people..not so much.[/FONT]

NYDB

[FONT=&quot]Nearly all of this is happening through socialization — an evening party, drinks after work, hanging too close with too many people. Many of the transmissions have occurred in the late evening, after partying, when peoples’ guards are down.

This is the problem.
My worry is this will happen in VT once things ramp up. Hope not or this season will end quickly.

If you just show up ..ski..then go back to wherever you came from it might work. Big ski houses with lots of people..not so much.[/FONT]

I think about 15% of people will actually be disciplined enough to do that for the entire season.

1dog

Those are definitely the worst state stats I've seen yet.
No daily testing stats
No 7 day avg positivity rates
No geographical data

MA, RI, even Maine have way better state stats, WAY better

US has lowest death rate per week since started counting - March 22.

from cnsnews.com

For example, there were 21.1 COVID cases in the last seven days per 100,000 people in this country; and 0.2 deaths in the last seven days per 100,000 people.

The states with the most deaths (0.8 - 1) in the last seven days per 100,000 people are Montana and North and South Dakota; the states with the fewest deaths (zero) in the last seven days per 100,000 people are Vermont and Maine.

mbedle

Great to see the local officials pleading with locals to follow restrictions and dispelling the utter nonsense that any state's COVID cases are due to non-residents.

What, non-residents can't spread the coronavirus in states they travel to???

mister moose

They maybe the ones "bringing it" there. But it takes the locals to "spread it" around amongst locals.
Locals also leave the state to work or shop, and they then are exposed to bringing it back to themselves.

abc

Locals also leave the state to work or shop, and they then are exposed to bringing it back to themselves.
That too.

If you think about it, visitor may get gas, buy grocery, go hiking, and even eat in a restaurant. All of those places tend to have some forms of social distancing policy in place.

But the locals will go home, go to visit their relatives, go to church... I bet they're not wearing mask when they are at home or visiting the in-laws. They SPREAD the virus they caught from the visitors (or from their own out-of-state visits)!

Last edited:

zyk

My wife got sent to Vermont for work due a covid situation. She was given travel papers. Not sure of protocol when she returns. Strange times I guess.