• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

Another customer satisfaction move, the snow report say "Skinning is not permitted" at either mountain. This one kills me as they do not own the land that South is on. Yes they have this mysterious "Special Use Permit" the state issues them, good luck trying to find it in the public records to see what it actually says. It would be nice if Mr. "H" would post the entire permit for all to read.
Since they have an operating permit and they are in the process of preparing the mountain for the season, they are likely moving heavy machinery around and not looking out for skinners/skiers and guns/hoses may be pulled out and not fully obvious on trails. Its a safety issue and if an injury happens and they didn't post this first, the NFS would likely investigate and could limit/pull their operating certificate if they felt the resort was negligent.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

John Hammond on Storm Skiing Podcast this week. Gives a few insights to what they may be planning expansion-wise as well. Little tidbits, nothing solid but they have recently been exploring at Mount Ellen above Inverness. Also talking about a new small pod away from current lift tops that may be a skinning accessible only zone, though no decision on that as of now. Check it out.

cdskier

They also typically don't allow skinning every year prior to opening...this is nothing new. They often cite safety concerns about snow making equipment, grooming equipment, winching, etc being all over the place this time of year. Later on once most terrain is open they can go back to their regular operating plans that allow them to ensure the skinning routes are clear and safe at the defined times. Makes perfect sense to me...

Hawk

The agreement with the national forest service gives them the rights to the land and and allows them to set the regulations on how and when we can access the land. This is not news and the policy for years has been no Skiing on the trials while early season snowmaking is in operation. There is no customer dissatisfaction from any of the regulars about this. If you want to skin, MRG is 10 minutes up the road and they don't have snowmaking operations. ;-)

Blurski

So you are good with not being able to skin to & from your property and don't see it as kick in the nuts?

Hawk

No I do not. To be totally honest, I can skin from my property and not have to enter a trail that has mountain ops working snowmaking so it is not an issue. Also some of us are discrete, smart, respectful of mountain ops and conscious of what is going on. You can find tons to ski and not be impacting mountain operations. Usually there is tons to ski without skiing the trails so we don't really take the time to bitch and piss off the mountain.

djd66

John Hammond on Storm Skiing Podcast this week. Gives a few insights to what they may be planning expansion-wise as well. Little tidbits, nothing solid but they have recently been exploring at Mount Ellen above Inverness. Also talking about a new small pod away from current lift tops that may be a skinning accessible only zone, though no decision on that as of now. Check it out.

Link - https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-28-sugarbush-president-and

Last edited:

pinnoke

I also equate this to 'luxury' cabanas for rent...likely to be utilized by the 'top 1%' (not his words; my thoughts)

mister moose

If you have to ask,... you can't afford it

Look up the cost of a prefab 12x16 garden shed. I get about $4,500 painted, delivered. Divide by 14 weekends. $321 per weekend with the resort not marking it up a penny and magically getting 100% occupancy. Might be useless next year, so you'd need to recover the cost this year. Can you beat that production line price with local labor from scratch, and have time to get it done?

No, not cheap.

djd66

Look up the cost of a prefab 12x16 garden shed. I get about $4,500 painted, delivered. Divide by 14 weekends. $321 per weekend with the resort not marking it up a penny and magically getting 100% occupancy. Might be useless next year, so you'd need to recover the cost this year. Can you beat that production line price with local labor from scratch, and have time to get it done?

No, not cheap.

$321.00 to sit in an extra large unheated outhouse? No thanks

Powder Whore

Hello all, after a few years of following this forum I finally created a profile.
Can you imagine how many snowboardes will be poaching MRG if there is lift service above Inverness???😱😱😱😱

Hawk

I think that I heard that they would be more like yurts or something like that? Not sure. And of course it would be for people with money.

1dog

Hello all, after a few years of following this forum I finally created a profile.
Can you imagine how many snowboardes will be poaching MRG if there is lift service above Inverness???😱😱😱😱

between NFS permitting and Act 250, among all the other overreaching regulations, unless you're under 30, don't count on it anytime soon.

ski it if enough snow on far skiers right - just left of Ext Woods.

Its south facing so they'd need to leave trees or tight trails . . . . some good pitch in there. And sure, poaching would occur over to MRG.

'because they could'

Hawk

I been out there a few times. Enough to know it is really not worth it unless you go far enough to make it to the 19th hole. First off it is really thick with evergreens so skiing and boarding is not ideal. Secondly people have got lost on that ridge a few times and had a decent slog out after dark. Be careful and do your research well.