• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

TSQURD

Just called IKON to see where our passes were, didn't get that answer but an interesting conversation none the less. Somehow got connected to a rep at Stratton so asked some questions about the new requirements for resorts- he claimed the resorts would be requiring proof of quarantine AND proof of a negative test prior to accessing the lift. Claimed if that is not on file, the pass won't work for anyone not in a green county. He flat out said there will be no weekend trips this year. He also said there are different quarantine requirements for yellow vs red counties which is not they way I interpret the guidance on the VT site (https://www.vermontvacation.com/travel-restrictions)

I was politely pressing on some of his statements, but the call conveniently was disconnected as I was quoting from the VT web site. Not sure if he just misunderstanding some of the information, what he was saying was how IKON was going to address the VT rules, or if I misunderstood something.

For the record, we've been to VT several times since this started, always following quarantine requirements at the time. Never documented the quarantine though. If there is indeed a requirement to document, I see many people getting caught off guard.

mikec142

Just called IKON to see where our passes were, didn't get that answer but an interesting conversation none the less. Somehow got connected to a rep at Stratton so asked some questions about the new requirements for resorts- he claimed the resorts would be requiring proof of quarantine AND proof of a negative test prior to accessing the lift. Claimed if that is not on file, the pass won't work for anyone not in a green county. He flat out said there will be no weekend trips this year. He also said there are different quarantine requirements for yellow vs red counties which is not they way I interpret the guidance on the VT site (https://www.vermontvacation.com/travel-restrictions)

I was politely pressing on some of his statements, but the call conveniently was disconnected as I was quoting from the VT web site. Not sure if he just misunderstanding some of the information, what he was saying was how IKON was going to address the VT rules, or if I misunderstood something.

For the record, we've been to VT several times since this started, always following quarantine requirements at the time. Never documented the quarantine though. If there is indeed a requirement to document, I see many people getting caught off guard.

How are they going to require documented proof? Doesn't seem possible.

machski

How are they going to require documented proof? Doesn't seem possible.
What I read when you buy a day ticket, you have to check a box online that says you will have followed VT guidance. How they will work that daily for passholders I have no idea. They may set up a system where you must log into your pass account each day and check a box or they could lock out your pass from the gates (at areas with RFID anyway). NH is requiring something similar but you are attesting you are symptom free daily rather than quarantined/tested like VT.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

TSQURD

The answer he gave me was through the SARA Alert system. He claimed you receive an email at the end of your quarantine that serves as documentation. He also stated that signing up for that was already required, but everything says its 'strongly encouraged', dont see anything stating its a requirement.

ScottySkis

That crazy
I know Platty is not planning on that

drjeff

The answer he gave me was through the SARA Alert system. He claimed you receive an email at the end of your quarantine that serves as documentation. He also stated that signing up for that was already required, but everything says its 'strongly encouraged', dont see anything stating its a requirement.
If I am not mistaken, aside from some social media shaming by the Woke crowd, the "Karen's" and the COVID paranoid, and even a very small minority of the population who has some co-morbidities that should have them validly concerned about being in close proximity with an active COVID+ individual in a closed space, while one or both are maskless, and then not following proper personal hygiene protocols after, there hasn't been an arrest or imprisonment over breaking COVID quarantine protocols. Some isolated fines? Yup, but in general, this is a "request" for one to voluntarily follow, rather than a direct order with criminal consequences if one doesn't.

Being smart, properly wearing a mask and then following proper hand/face hygiene protocols after putting on/taking off ones mask for the overwhelming majority of person to person contacts, just in reality is going to keep well over 99% of the population safe, and in the unfortunate situation if one does contract COVID, the reality is that if you're generally healthy, rested, up on your Vit D, Vit C and Zinc levels well over 99% will recover. That's just objectively is looking at the data. And I'm sure if someone told many of us AZ'ers staring at a perfect pitch, track free bowl with a foot of blower powder on it that there was over a 99% chance it wouldn't slide if you go ski/ride it, and then over a 99% chance that if it did slide that you'd be fine if you got caught in it, you'd be making tracks in that bowl with minimal thought about the very low risk for harm and even possible death, based on how low the risk is

Sent from my SM-G986U using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

tumbler

This doesn't feel like guidance from the state to the ski areas to me. It feels like the state is passing the buck onto the ski areas to enforce the state's rules. Which in turn, gives the state the opening to shut down the ski areas for not enforcing their rules when a positive case pops up at an area.

urungus

This doesn't feel like guidance from the state to the ski areas to me. It feels like the state is passing the buck onto the ski areas to enforce the state's rules. Which in turn, gives the state the opening to shut down the ski areas for not enforcing their rules when a positive case pops up at an area.

Hmm ... does the state “pass the buck” to bars and liquor stores by requiring them to enforce drinking laws ? Not sure there is any other alternative short of setting up roadblocks at the state line.

slatham

Finally figured it out. I am so slow. This is VT's way of accelerating the move of WFH Tri-staters to VT! Many of which will need to buy a place hence further inflating the already hot real estate market and simultaneously changing the biggest Marco economic issues in VT - population decline and an aging population! Brilliant!

dlague

AND a negative test? The insurance companies are not going pay for Covid tests every time someone wants to go skiing. The test on your own is about $90 and another $99 for lab results at least here in Colorado. We just did it to go on vacation. And that is per person. So the Covid negative test idea is good for maybe a week long stay but that can be a big hit for a family. If some states have free clinics - well having skiers use them so they can hit the slopes is the wrong use for the free test.

Documenting quarantine is another lame idea that people will work around. For the ski area to be checking either for every skier at a place like Stratton, Killington or Okemo seems crazy since they do not want ticket lines but will create a new line.

Also sounds like Ikon will be playing big brother - so it you move you better update Ikon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1dog

If I am not mistaken, aside from some social media shaming by the Woke crowd, the "Karen's" and the COVID paranoid, and even a very small minority of the population who has some co-morbidities that should have them validly concerned about being in close proximity with an active COVID+ individual in a closed space, while one or both are maskless, and then not following proper personal hygiene protocols after, there hasn't been an arrest or imprisonment over breaking COVID quarantine protocols. Some isolated fines? Yup, but in general, this is a "request" for one to voluntarily follow, rather than a direct order with criminal consequences if one doesn't.

Being smart, properly wearing a mask and then following proper hand/face hygiene protocols after putting on/taking off ones mask for the overwhelming majority of person to person contacts, just in reality is going to keep well over 99% of the population safe, and in the unfortunate situation if one does contract COVID, the reality is that if you're generally healthy, rested, up on your Vit D, Vit C and Zinc levels well over 99% will recover. That's just objectively is looking at the data. And I'm sure if someone told many of us AZ'ers staring at a perfect pitch, track free bowl with a foot of blower powder on it that there was over a 99% chance it wouldn't slide if you go ski/ride it, and then over a 99% chance that if it did slide that you'd be fine if you got caught in it, you'd be making tracks in that bowl with minimal thought about the very low risk for harm and even possible death, based on how low the risk is

Sent from my SM-G986U using AlpineZone mobile app

Ditto - 'Woke, Karens, paranoia', prescription is spot on.

Been on some couloir's and chutes with far less than 99% chance of remaining stable. It worked - so far. Life outside = risk.

Others may point out that you may be risking others well-being . . . understand that - I drive 3+ hours each Friday from MA - biggest risk of the weekend.

drjeff

2 foot long swabs shoved up your nose all the time...sounds awesome.

The one's that I use in my office are much closer to standard q-tip size rather than the initial ones that were a good foot long or so.

I will be curious to hear from my daughter later today, who literally as I type this is waiting to get a COVID test at a lab facility run by the hospital where she's having some jaw surgery next week, if they're using the "long" q-tip or the shorter q-tip for test sample collecting....

abc

AND a negative test? The insurance companies are not going pay for Covid tests every time someone wants to go skiing. The test on your own is about $90 and another $99 for lab results at least here in Colorado.
How are they going to do that? Check that your insurance pay for it before they administer the test? Doing all that while you sit in the car in a queue at a drive-in testing facility?

abc

Id say those parents have highly misplaced priorities unless

A. They have no option for in person learning at their primary residence
That's probably the case for many.

While some school district have "in person learning". It's in name only. What's 1 day a week going to make any difference? I doubt it.

Not to mention that can all of a sudden change and school be shutdown without warning if case number goes up.

I'd say a parent who REALLY puts priority for their kids education will do better by finding out how to get the best out of remote learning! For that's going to be the bulk and backbone of the 20/21 school year!!!

kingslug

It took weeks to get our tests back. And has been stated before..you can get it 5 minutes after the test. Its the same as how we do building rounds..you look at a machine..5 minutes later it breaks and the first thing they do is accuse you of not looking at it..as if it can't break because you looked at it. its all BS.