• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

mister moose

They had Osterholm walking that lockdown idea back yesterday and today. Claims that was an earlier report he authored and has never advised Biden as such. Yeah, ok.

With that said, I have seen some early pandemic interviews with Osterholm, he seemed more level headed and matter of fact than Fauci then.
Biden and others have strongly advocated they would "follow the science" without addressing the common instance of many scientists not being in agreement.

abc

Biden and others have strongly advocated they would "follow the science" without addressing the common instance of many scientists not being in agreement.
What "common instance" of "MANY" scientists not being in agreement? Example please?

(Just one or two crackpot of "scientist" whose specialty are not even in virology disagree isn't the equivalent of "many scientists not being in agreement")

drjeff

What "common instance" of "MANY" scientists not being in agreement? Example please?

(Just one or two crackpot of "scientist" whose specialty are not even in virology disagree isn't the equivalent of "many scientists not being in agreement")

Not all relevant scientists is this situation are infectious disease and/or virologists. Economists are scientists as are psychologists.

This is a disease that certainly has effects that many are suffering from that have never, nor possibly will ever, contract(ed) COVID-19. And one simply can't think in this case that the only "scientists" who have relevance to the guidance to manage this crisis, have degrees in infectious disease related categories. This to some degree, needs to be a team approach to determine the "best" course of action for not just those who contract the disease, but the majority of the population who won't, but need to be a part of the ways to get through it

Zermatt

Ef anybody who says follow the science. Last spring the science said beaches in NY could open but swimming was not allowed yet in CA the science said swimming was ok but no beaches.

THERE WILL NEVER BE A NATIONAL LOCKDOWN! Anybody who thinks that is possible is likely from a large city, young and does not understand the government structure of our federation of independent states.

Teleskier

I liked to add that there are some of us that can and will quarantine. Fortunate enough here to work at home and live alone.

Hear! Hear! I think this is the case for more people (especially in rural locations) than people realize, not just living alone but who are quarantined as a household and can follow the VT guidelines... remember back in March when people stayed home for 25-days at a time?

cdskier

Word on the street is that Governor Scott will announce today that bars and restaurants must close. He is also going to announce curtailment of sports activities. I suspect that school sports will be cancelled. I am not sure if he will announce any new restrictions for skiing.

Word on the street was mostly right. He did announce that bars and clubs must close, although is letting restaurants stay open for inside service until 10PM.

He also banned multi-family gatherings whether they are inside or outside in public or in private...

skithetrees

Hear! Hear! I think this is the case for more people (especially in rural locations) than people realize, not just living alone but who are quarantined as a household and can follow the VT guidelines... remember back in March when people stayed home for 25-days at a time?

True, but if you have kids a 14 day true quarantine is virtually impossible right now. Also, while many of us can work from home, what percentage of the skiing population can/does? When you find the intersection of the work from home and the no kids in school (or playing with any friends) group, I bet that population is quite small. On top of that, I bet that group is probably one that isn’t spending a ton of money on the mountain anyway. Families with kids pay the bills and keep the lights on at most mountains.

NYDB

Word on the street was mostly right. He did announce that bars and clubs must close, although is letting restaurants stay open for inside service until 10PM.

He also banned multi-family gatherings whether they are inside or outside in public or in private...
How does that reconcile with Ski Resorts ability to operate. Does not seem to be trending well at present

cdskier

How does that reconcile with Ski Resorts ability to operate. Does not seem to be trending well at present

I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't seen much in the way of details on that part of his announcement today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any other state in the country have bars and restaurants back to takeout only? None that I know of. And it's because Vermont is....by far...the least Covid-inflicted state in the country.

I feel like you're almost asking your population to break the rules at that point. Why penalize the people who are doing the best job? Hey if the bars close NY, MA, and NH have their bars and restaurants open, what's stopping VT people from going there?
Restaurants can still serve sit down meals until 10PM

The rule change is specific to bars and night clubs.

IIRC the delineation between a bar/club and restaurant in VT is if 50% or more of your revenue comes from alcohol sales, you are considered a bar.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not skiing related, but I was supposed to see an outdoor concert in town tomorrow. The performers were from Burlington, VT.

The band just cancelled because they didn't want to have to quarantine for two weeks when they got home.

kingslug

The new measures prohibit multi-household social gatherings — regardless of whether they are public or private, indoor or outdoor. Only individuals living alone may gather with members of their immediate family living in a different household.

So how are VT ski resort lodges going to operate if you can't do this in a house?

VTKilarney

People have missed a big news item from today's announcement out of Vermont. All non-school sports leagues are on pause. This appears to include ski racing programs.

VTKilarney

The new measures prohibit multi-household social gatherings — regardless of whether they are public or private, indoor or outdoor. Only individuals living alone may gather with members of their immediate family living in a different household.

So how are VT ski resort lodges going to operate if you can't do this in a house?

Also, it appears that you must be from the same household when seated at a table in a restaurant.

One other thought to consider: the Vermont numbers are much higher than they are reporting.

The state does not include positive rapid antigen tests in their tally. I spoke with someone who got a rapid test in Washington County a couple of days ago. There are five rapid testing locations in the county. At just this one facility, they are seeing roughly 40 positive results per day.

Many people who get a positive instant test just quarantine and do not bother with the PCR test - so their result is never reported in the official numbers. Sure, some of those are false positives, but not that many.

slatham

Gov Scott didn't really answer the question he got on skiing - he just referenced travel ban, lack of snow, and we'll see where we are in a month.

But he did answer one on bowling - you can go to a bowling alley, just not with someone outside your immediate family.

And restaurants are still open with indoor dinning. Again, just your immediate family at your table. Theory was these are "Structured" environments that are following strict guidelines.

The comments on recreational sports centered on leagues. This is prohibited.

So given current info I think skiing can happen, you just can't go with a group outside immediate family. And of course no ski racing etc, which I have to think would apply to any group activities like lessons.

VTKilarney

The timing of this wave in Vermont has to be incredible worrisome for ski areas. They need to decide very quickly if they will be making snow - and if so, how much of it they will make.