• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

KustyTheKlown

non-sequeter - i quit cigarettes in april. i only would smoke en route to and from work, and when ripping drunk. mostly secretive from my significant other. being forced to work from home together in the midst of a respiratory virus pandemic was a good kick in the pants. it was surprisingly easy. one day i just stopped and that was that.

cannabis intake is at collegiate levels. also due to constantly being home.

EPB

non-sequeter - i quit cigarettes in april. i only would smoke en route to and from work, and when ripping drunk. mostly secretive from my significant other. being forced to work from home together in the midst of a respiratory virus pandemic was a good kick in the pants. it was surprisingly easy. one day i just stopped and that was that.

Good for you!

I had a casual dipping habit for a little while that I kicked for good when the now-wife moved in. Had a very similar experience to you. IIRC, your dad's a dentist - I had many a thought about being ashamed if my parents/gf knew. Now if only I'd stop drinking as much...

KustyTheKlown

Good for you!

I had a casual dipping habit for a little while that I kicked for good when the now-wife moved in. Had a very similar experience to you. IIRC, your dad's a dentist - I had many a thought about being ashamed if my parents/gf knew. Now if only I'd stop drinking as much...

good memory. yea both my parents are dentists and i always knew that they knew about my smoking because of my teeth and it was this sort of unspoken shame. both parents smoke pot, my mom even more than i do, but the cigs i assume have their own unique teeth staining grossness

1dog

The "what's the most doom and gloom headline today" topic is so blatantly visible in my home state of CT by the local media.

If the total number, or sometime even percent of positive tests is up, that's the lead headline default all along.

If the percent positivity rate is down that day, but say the number of new hospital admissions for COVID is up, the new hospital admissions number is the lead headline.

Anytime the total number of deaths passes a "milestone number" (usually the next 100) thats the lead headline.

What never is mentioned is how many, both in terms of gross numbers and percentage have recovered.

It is a situation of scare the people and keep them scared in whatever way possible. Which likely in the not too distant future is going to take a MASSIVE effort on the part of the media to flip their messaging to get people out for vaccination and also back out and into a much more normal way of life and supporting so many businesses that may still be around to support
Most of us are educated and entertained by the posters here - much rather hear from those I don'ts eye to eye with, but all posts ( in a Covid string) seems relatively appropriate.

This is free and open debate. Thankfully responses have a lot of humor in there as well. ' We Are All Gonna Die' is just great -My response to those who say 'Have a nice day.' to be 'Have a great eternity'. Speaking of Jesus. . . . . .

Here's another point of view - ( with admitted 1% false signatures)

abc

Here's another point of view - ( with admitted 1% false signatures)

While I'm not sure I buy the "herd immunity through getting infected" approach, the practical steps are spot-on, and should be adopted.

Sadly, many are not.

"Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent PCR testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals. "

It's not people don't want to follow rules. But many of the rules do cause hardships for some. Little attempt were made to provide support to make it practical for people to follow the rules. Sure, people who are resourceful are able to find workaround to abide the restriction. Not everyone can or have the resource to do so. With so little support to address the issues due to the restrictions, it's not surprising many just throw up their hands and say "I can't, therefore I won't"! Bad for everybody.

kingslug

I found it very easy to quite drinking in April. Didn't go out anywhere..stopped going to the liquor store. And watched The Stop Drinking Expert on youtube..and man did that wake me up. Watched on Sunday..Quit on Monday..havent regretted it. Saves a lot of money too.

KustyTheKlown

i stopped drinking september 1 as part of a 75 day diet which just concluded. no added or artificial sugar, no wheat carbs, no alcohol, lots of water. I've reintroduced limited amounts of alcohol, mainly beer which is the only thing i missed all fall. lost about 15 lbs. also rode my bike every day for the first 45 days or so until a combination of it getting colder, darker, and me getting lazier

JimG.

Staff member
I have the solution for all of this...all you AZ health and science experts should take over the US government and save the rest of us. Why are you all wasting time here diddling around on AZ trying to save us ignorant lemmings?

Bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks.

slatham

VT Governor Scott just got a question on Ski protocols at his press conference. Key message to me was 1) Ski areas have strict guidelines that were recently agreed and announced and 2) there was no hint of any change from any comments he and his associates made. The focus was attestation of compliance to quarantine rules.

1dog

BenedictGomez

Congrats on beating tobacco. Hopefully you beat pot soon too.