• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

kingslug

My fear is about a week from now the Thanksgiving superspread will hit the hospitals and things will get shut down. 50 million people traveled..

Edd

I have also heard other reports of skiers who plan to complain to management about this situation. Maybe management can step up their game. But they have also said that they will notify Augusta.
Did management say that on the SR forum?

tnt1234

My fear is about a week from now the Thanksgiving superspread will hit the hospitals and things will get shut down. 50 million people traveled..
yeah, unfortunately it feels inevitable.

And despite skiing being inherently safe - we're outdoors, we're moving - it's also inherently accident prone. Local community hospitals aren't going to want ambulances showing up with hurt knees and shoulders from the ski mountains while they are dealing with Covid.

This is all pretty nuts. Just trying to gear up for an unconventional winter....

tnt1234

Folks, I posted this on the Sunday River thread, and feel like, maybe we need to talk about this a bit????

I just read a troubling report from a friend who skied Saturday. Apparently, many folks are not wearing their masks in the que and crowding up too much. This is not up to the skiers or Sunday River. If an inspector comes here and sees non compliance, they have the emergency power to shut it all down. It doesn't matter if we agree with it or not. If it gets shut down, that means no more snowmaking, no more grooming, no more lifts running, and as we saw last year, no more uphill skinning.

I hate having to wear a mask, or bending the knee to authority and all that as much as the next guy, But let's get real here. I want to ski, and I suspect ALL of you also want to ski.

I have also heard other reports of skiers who plan to complain to management about this situation. Maybe management can step up their game. But they have also said that they will notify Augusta. That could lead to getting it shut down.

Folks, I know we all hate this COVID thing and want it to just go away. But dems da rules. If we want to play this year, we are gonna have play by the rules a little bit. Would it kill ya to pull your facemask up over your nose and mouth and maintain a little more distance in the lift line?

Look, I can almost understand if they drop the masks on the chair, you are fairly well isolated from others. But I also know that when people smoke on the chairs in front of me, I get a good dose of tobacco and weed. I "know" I am "bulletproof" and won't get sick, but I also don't want to be stupid, because I know it could happen to me.

Okay, I've said enough, can someone help me get down off this wooden crate with the three "X"s on the side.

Other thoughts, once a ski area gets shut down, how long before they all close down? I think we can remember what happened last year.
The mask thing....well, it does seem really difficult to see how you mask up at teh bottom of every run. I'm thinking you just leave the cloth mask under your chin all day, and pull it up at the bottom.

But crowding each other - that's really easy to control and it's aggravating that people wouldn't give each other space right now.

1dog

Killington did a good job respectfully requesting distancing and masking at all queue's. Thanked each one, and even thanked those who were complying.

A good WSJ piece today on the testing. Here is a bit of it:

U.S. government scientists now estimate that 40% of cases are asymptomatic and 80% of symptomatic cases are mild—in short, 88% of subjects don’t know they are infected or have no great incentive to find out if they are suffering from Covid or some more familiar bug.

urungus

if he is ready to shut it down for everybody, why doesn't he just stay away if he is truly worried about his health, and let the skiers all infect themselves and die off. I know, not the right logical thought.

Because the infected skiers don’t live in a bubble, they will spread the disease to whoever they come into contact with once they leave the ski area.

Reactions: Edd
Lets hope "those people in Augusta" don't check out the Sunday River's web cams, or any others for that matter.

JimG.

Staff member
Ummm... no, management did not say that. I see the ambiguity you are asking about. These other skiers have said that if Sunday river does not get it under control, the skier will report them to Augusta.

Which just sort of begs the question. So, if he is ready to shut it down for everybody, why doesn't he just stay away if he is truly worried about his health, and let the skiers all infect themselves and die off. I know, not the right logical thought.
Yeah just as I figured it will play out...some asshole skier who couldn't stay home because he is afraid will now ruin things for everyone.

Inevitable human bullshit.

RISkier

Hope you're wrong. I hope I'm wrong too because I think case numbers are going to increase dramatically between now and Christmas. ICU beds are already in short supply in many locations. And it's not just coronavirus cases that need ICU beds,

thetrailboss

Staff member
Folks, I posted this on the Sunday River thread, and feel like, maybe we need to talk about this a bit????

I just read a troubling report from a friend who skied Saturday. Apparently, many folks are not wearing their masks in the que and crowding up too much. This is not up to the skiers or Sunday River. If an inspector comes here and sees non compliance, they have the emergency power to shut it all down. It doesn't matter if we agree with it or not. If it gets shut down, that means no more snowmaking, no more grooming, no more lifts running, and as we saw last year, no more uphill skinning.

I hate having to wear a mask, or bending the knee to authority and all that as much as the next guy, But let's get real here. I want to ski, and I suspect ALL of you also want to ski.

I have also heard other reports of skiers who plan to complain to management about this situation. Maybe management can step up their game. But they have also said that they will notify Augusta. That could lead to getting it shut down.

Folks, I know we all hate this COVID thing and want it to just go away. But dems da rules. If we want to play this year, we are gonna have play by the rules a little bit. Would it kill ya to pull your facemask up over your nose and mouth and maintain a little more distance in the lift line?

Look, I can almost understand if they drop the masks on the chair, you are fairly well isolated from others. But I also know that when people smoke on the chairs in front of me, I get a good dose of tobacco and weed. I "know" I am "bulletproof" and won't get sick, but I also don't want to be stupid, because I know it could happen to me.

Okay, I've said enough, can someone help me get down off this wooden crate with the three "X"s on the side.

Other thoughts, once a ski area gets shut down, how long before they all close down? I think we can remember what happened last year.
Wow. That is a surprise. FWIW our Boyne Resort, Brighton, has been on top of enforcing masks in the lines. I have only seen two people get spoken to in four days there.

njdiver85

It all comes down to enforcement. At A-Basin, the enforcement was excellent - they were strict but not mean about it. If you weren't wearing a mask in the lift line, you were flagged immediately.

At Mount Snow - different story. Enforcement was spotty at best. 50% of kids were half-assed about the mask thing. Either pulled down or noses not covered. Out of all the crazy regulations, you'd think this would be the easiest to enforce.

How about, one warning, and then on the second infraction, you are banned from the mountain for the day? With the electronic ticket scanning, it should be an easy thing to flag someone's pass with a warning, and if they do it again on same day, kick them out and cancel their ticket for the day. I bet in one weekend of this, word gets out, and you will have 100% compliance!!!

EPB

Yeah just as I figured it will play out...some asshole skier who couldn't stay home because he is afraid will now ruin things for everyone.
Not all heroes wear capes... In all seriousness, though, I'm surprised Boyne and others aren't more on top of things. They should guard their ability to keep operating like it's precious (because it is).

Shredmonkey254

Its not that hard. Burton has a great prod, the Anon MFI face mask. This is a magnetic mask that attaches to your Anon google. No fogging and 100% face coverage. get the lightest one they make, anything heavier tends to freeze up and become uncomfortable. Or get a merino wool version. Its not that hard to mask up and not look it. And the magnetic lens attachment is the best thing ever.
Just do it!