• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Singles Line

KustyTheKlown

killington is loading two singles on their six packs. they have signs up that say you MAY get paired with another single on a quad, based on busyness levels. i was paired with another single on skye peak quad for first chair when they had a bit of a queue. i wasn't paired on a quad again all day.

cdskier

killington is loading two singles on their six packs. they have signs up that say you MAY get paired with another single on a quad, based on busyness levels. i was paired with another single on skye peak quad for first chair when they had a bit of a queue. i wasn't paired on a quad again all day.
At Sugarbush it depends on who is managing the queue at lifts like Super Bravo. If 2 singles are in the front row of the lanes, some of the staff will ask if they want to go alone or not. If both are ok with sharing, they pair them up and tell them to sit on opposite sides. If either person wants to be alone, they let them go alone. Other staff just keep singles as singles on the quads and don't even ask.

drjeff

Mount Snow is doing the same thing. (with permission of the people) either 2 singles or a double and a single on the 6 pack, and 2 singles on the quads.

No singles being paired up on triples

From what I have seen, probably 75-80% of folks will agree to being paired up on opposite sides of the chairs when the line attendants ask them

Newpylong

As a single I got paired with a pair on the quad at Ragged by our permission this past weekend and that is a possibility based on signage.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

No way 2 chair lift seats equals 6 feet and neither does 3. The only way to comply with proper distancing guidelines is to have no unrelated parties on a quad and a max of 2 singles on a six.

That makes singles lines useless on anything other than a 6 - unless the goal is simply to give people who ski alone an advantage at the expense of those who ski with others.

And on a bubble lift it is crazy to have even two singles sharing a lift unless both agree not to put the bubble down.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

If all the social distancing paranoid nut's who have have converted to the cult of COVIDIANTY get their way, the ski industry will never be normal.

drjeff

If all the social distancing paranoid nut's who have have converted to the cult of COVIDIANTY get their way, the ski industry will never be normal.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if its YEARS before we get back to the way of the "fill every chair" that we were so used to. Some folks, even when the social distancing requirements are dropped, are going to be steadfast in their insistence of not riding with anyone else.... UGH!!

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I wouldn't be surprised at all if its YEARS before we get back to the way of the "fill every chair" that we were so used to. Some folks, even when the social distancing requirements are dropped, are going to be steadfast in their insistence of not riding with anyone else.... UGH!!
When there are enough vaccine doses available to make proof of vaccination a requirement of boarding a chairlift or entering a lodge we will be all good, albeit with crowds diminished to the extent some prefer never again entering a public space to getting vaccinated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let's just all play by the rules and enjoy things for what they are today and not be ultra critical of others who have less or more tolerance for risk

Attachments

• 4tbg7x.jpg
    4tbg7x.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 11

abc

Sorry, "play by the rules" and "have less or more tolerance for risk" don't go together too well.

One is either by the rule or breaking the rule. People are justifying left, right and center about breaking the rules. It maybe they have more risk tolerance. But they're breaking the rules nonetheless.

Now, "not be critical" is always a nice "rule" for everyone. Though I would think it applies especially for those who are "critical" of others who follow the rules.

Los

Sorry, "play by the rules" and "have less or more tolerance for risk" don't go together too well.

One is either by the rule or breaking the rule. People are justifying left, right and center about breaking the rules. It maybe they have more risk tolerance. But they're breaking the rules nonetheless.

Now, "not be critical" is always a nice "rule" for everyone. Though I would think it applies especially for those who are "critical" of others who follow the rules.
ABC, you are too funny.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Jesus Christ, you are hopeless.

My middle of the road post was very much inspired by some folks in this thread ripping you for your hardline perspective on this topic. A call to chill.

Yet here you are, arguing and arguing some more.

Maybe you are deserving of unmasked people invading your elevator and chair space.

abc

Speaking of my "hardline perspective". I saw a couple examples today.

Today at Mount Snow, I was behind a single (on the single's line). A couple came up and the lift organizer asked if he/she (can't tell from behind) was ok pairing with the double. He/she must have answered something like "I'd prefer to pair with a single, but not a double". The liftie said "not a problem", let the double went ahead and signaled a single from the other side to go with the guy(or gal).

When it was my turn, it got even more interesting. A single from the priority line, wearing a uniform, said he'd prefer to ride alone!

So I was left with the option of pairing with a double again. After seeing those 2 examples, I felt perfectly comfortable to say I prefer NOT to share with a double! Then I saw another single on the other side, and said I'm happy to share with another single. There the two of us went up together.

It really helped that the lift line was at most 3 minutes! So NOT sharing doesn't really cause any significant delay.

Yes, I'm serious about social distancing. So much so I prefer to ski ONLY on weekdays! As a result, I never had to stand in line. Never mind holding up a line by refusing to share a chair.

I do my best to avoid BEING in a crowded place to begin with. But if people still intrude into my space when it's NOT CROWDED? Well, I'll make it clear they're NOT tolerated there!

Today, I'm glad to see I'm far from the only one who took it literally!

drjeff

Speaking of my "hardline perspective". I saw a couple examples today.

Today at Mount Snow, I was behind a single (on the single's line). A couple came up and the lift organizer asked if he/she (can't tell from behind) was ok pairing with the double. He/she must have answered something like "I'd prefer to pair with a single, but not a double". The liftie said "not a problem", let the double went ahead and signaled a single from the other side to go with the guy(or gal).

When it was my turn, it got even more interesting. A single from the priority line, wearing a uniform, said he'd prefer to ride alone!

So I was left with the option of pairing with a double again. After seeing those 2 examples, I felt perfectly comfortable to say I prefer NOT to share with a double! Then I saw another single on the other side, and said I'm happy to share with another single. There the two of us went up together.

It really helped that the lift line was at most 3 minutes! So NOT sharing doesn't really cause any significant delay.

Yes, I'm serious about social distancing. So much so I prefer to ski ONLY on weekdays! As a result, I never had to stand in line. Never mind holding up a line by refusing to share a chair.

I do my best to avoid BEING in a crowded place to begin with. But if people still intrude into my space when it's NOT CROWDED? Well, I'll make it clear they're NOT tolerated there!

Today, I'm glad to see I'm far from the only one who took it literally!

Serious question.... can you find evidence of a case of COVID being attributed to actual skiing/riding activities (lift lines, lift riding, heading down the hill)? Seems like the cases being attributed to skiing/riding are all being attributed to activities in restaurants/bars/hotels/condos/homes in the geographic area around a ski area verses actually from the act of skiing/riding....

abc

Serious question.... can you find evidence of a case of COVID being attributed to actual skiing/riding activities (lift lines, lift riding, heading down the hill)? Seems like the cases being attributed to skiing/riding are all being attributed to activities in restaurants/bars/hotels/condos/homes in the geographic area around a ski area verses actually from the act of skiing/riding....
It's a fair question. I used to think the same way. Basically, there's no concrete evidence of transmission in outdoor settings. Practically all the confirmed transmission are from indoor settings.

However, there's a saying "absence of evidence does not equal to evidence of absence"

While this countries contact tracing is all but a joke, other countries had done better. Singapore and Taiwan had done much more thorough contact tracing. But... even in those countries that appears to do an exhausting contact tracing, they've only manage to trace the origin and/or transmission path of not much more than 50% of their cases!

Put another way, even the best countries were UNABLE TO ACCOUNT for a good portion of their cases as to HOW it was transmitted! Where could those be?

That left a lot of other venues that the disease quite likely transmits, if less easily than those confirmed transmission venues.

Not to forget, there're 3 new strains of the virus that are MORE TRANSMITTABLE than the existing strains. So what we knew how it transmit, may not be all the way these new strains transmits.

Last edited: