• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 20-21 Intel

drjeff

Skied well this morning. Had to be a bit careful on the ungroomed stuff as there was definitely some areas of variability in the snow density and what was under it in places.

Light crowds during the 10 runs I grabbed starting at opening bell.

Biggest bottle neck area is the last pitch on lower fools gold where it's down about 1 cat width which makes it essentially single file travel down that area.

My son skinned up to the Summit this morning and said that you could feel the snow getting heavier density wise as you descended.

Currently 35 and light drizzle/mist in the air across the street from the mtn

drjeff

Vail is spending some $$ this Summer and putting a sizeable expansion on the mountain ops building that was put up a few seasons ago after the old one burned down..

I'd guess from looking at it this evening that the finished facility will be atleast triple the size of what was there the last few years since the post fire rebuild... Can't imagine how much lost revenue from the reduction in a few parking spaces will amount too 🙄🙄

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Vail is spending some $$ this Summer and putting a sizeable expansion on the mountain ops building that was put up a few seasons ago after the old one burned down..

I'd guess from looking at it this evening that the finished facility will be atleast triple the size of what was there the last few years since the post fire rebuild... Can't imagine how much lost revenue from the reduction in a few parking spaces will amount too 🙄🙄

So they're not moving it to Sundance base as in the master plan? It's such a shame to see all the work Peaks put into that plan go to waste. That was as comprehensive as it gets and was a viable long-term vision.

drjeff

So they're not moving it to Sundance base as in the master plan? It's such a shame to see all the work Peaks put into that plan go to waste. That was as comprehensive as it gets and was a viable long-term vision.

Guessing with the new ownership that a reassessment of what the old ownerships view of the master plan is to be expected.

Also seems like that due to multiple, probably unknown at the time of Peak's Master Plan's creation that much of the additional retail and residential development slated for the Carinthia base area isn't going to happen now either

Newpylong

Jeff, where exactly is that?

The maintenance building was not effected by the fire was it? I can't imagine just Mountain Ops needing all that space if the cats are still kept elsewhere...

They must be planning to move other staff to that top floor as well...

drjeff

Jeff, where exactly is that?

The maintenance building was not effected by the fire was it? I can't imagine just Mountain Ops needing all that space if the cats are still kept elsewhere...

They must be planning to move other staff to that top floor as well...
It's in basically the exact same location, between the A and B parking lots, the original mount ops building was, and looks very close in size to what the original footprint of the building that burned down a few seasons ago.

Not sure what their full intentions for all the extra space is, as there hasn't been any information put publicly about it. Maybe it will house the locker room area for all of the paid parking lot checks that they will need this Winter ;) :mad: :dontknow: o_O

Heck, I was taken by surprise by it myself when my wife and I drove through the base area on Sunday afternoon after not having been on the Mount Snow property since closing weekend in April!

Whitey

It's not all a Vail project. It took them a while to work out the insurance payout from the fire. Most of the $ for the project is coming from that but VR is adding more $ to the project to increase its size. When completed the 1st floor will be fleet ops/snow cat maintenance, building maint, and snowmaking. Lift Maint will stay where they are now. On the 2nd floor will be mtn ops mgmt offices, conference rooms, and ski patrol.

Part of the bid process was that the winner had to agree that the project would be done by Oct/Nov. So they are working really, really fast. Started about a week after the season ended. Hence why you were surprised by how much progress they made since April.

Vail is buying Mt Snow another new snow cat, a park pro. 2 new cats at Mt Snow in the last year with only 1 older cat moving on.

FBGM

It's not all a Vail project. It took them a while to work out the insurance payout from the fire. Most of the $ for the project is coming from that but VR is adding more $ to the project to increase its size. When completed the 1st floor will be fleet ops/snow cat maintenance, building maint, and snowmaking. Lift Maint will stay where they are now. On the 2nd floor will be mtn ops mgmt offices, conference rooms, and ski patrol.

Part of the bid process was that the winner had to agree that the project would be done by Oct/Nov. So they are working really, really fast. Started about a week after the season ended. Hence why you were surprised by how much progress they made since April.

Vail is buying Mt Snow another new snow cat, a park pro. 2 new cats at Mt Snow in the last year with only 1 older cat moving on.
Now they just need to find employees to fill all those offices. 😂😂

Whitey

Just announced - Snow Lake Lodge will be 100% employee housing this season. Room for about 200 ppl. Additionally, the housing located near Carinthia will be employee housing as well. Should be a huge assist to staffing the operation this winter as housing availability and housing cost are the biggest barriers to staffing. People will put up with sh!tty pay if they have a place to live and can be at a ski area for the winter. Snow Lake Lodge will be a very multi-cultural experience with all the international seasonal employees there this winter. . .

slatham

Just announced - Snow Lake Lodge will be 100% employee housing this season. Room for about 200 ppl. Additionally, the housing located near Carinthia will be employee housing as well. Should be a huge assist to staffing the operation this winter as housing availability and housing cost are the biggest barriers to staffing. People will put up with sh!tty pay if they have a place to live and can be at a ski area for the winter. Snow Lake Lodge will be a very multi-cultural experience with all the international seasonal employees there this winter. . .

Thats very impressive, though the devil is in the details - for instance, what are they charging? Interesting to see the math vs "normal' year occupancy revenue. But having that amount of housing that close to the mountain is great. Don't even need a car to go to work.

drjeff

Thats very impressive, though the devil is in the details - for instance, what are they charging? Interesting to see the math vs "normal' year occupancy revenue. But having that amount of housing that close to the mountain is great. Don't even need a car to go to work.

Rumor for a few years was that they were looking at having to do a complete top to bottom gut and redo if not knock it down and rebuild the entire place if they wanted to keep Snow Lake Lodge in their short term lodging pool for guests.

It definitely is showing its 60ish or so years of age

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Rumor for a few years was that they were looking at having to do a complete top to bottom gut and redo if not knock it down and rebuild the entire place if they wanted to keep Snow Lake Lodge in their short term lodging pool for guests.

It definitely is showing its 60ish or so years of age

I loved it 10ish years ago I'd stay there usually once a season or so. $70 a night for a room with a real breakfast, indoor/outdoor pool, and walk to the slopes or take the shuttle. Then with the CT ski council the midweek rate was like $45 midweek, or $50 any day after mid-March.

I knew those days wouldn't last forever the way the industry was headed but didn't know they'd already be gone.