• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

dblskifanatic

If they are to bridge the gaps that are developing they will be spreading the remaining snow fairly thin. The pile above the headwall could be used to make a narrow path down but will get skied off very fast.

My bet is they don't reopen but if they do it will not be all day.

slatham

I think NYDirtBag sums it up rather accurately. Making that skiable today is a stretch. After another 60 hours of high speed melting?

Newpylong

If they did Friday morning (and dealt with missing the weekend traffic) instead of waiting until Sat, they likely could patch it together. I think the extra 24 hour burn until Saturday is going to be the coup de grace.

chuckstah

Open Saturday as the snow lies. Free skiing for those willing to walk......a lot... IMO...

drjeff

Looking at the webcam this morning. Looks like they could have 3 distinct patches available. If that's the case, I would say that they go for it. If the middle section, which often melts out quite quickly at the end, starts going rapidly today, then stick a fork in it.

Open with lift served, and walking/mud skiing required, that I could see, and why not cap it off that way in this season like none of us have ever experienced before (and hopefully will never have to experience again!!)

ScottySkis

They know where the melt will occur in the next 48 hrs...
They official close d on Facebook
"""Despite how badly we want to hold onto spring skiing, Mother Nature has other plans. After assessing conditions and the forecast, it’s clear that the 2020-21 winter season at Killington has come to an end. We will not reopen for skiing and riding. Sunday, May 16 was officially the final day of winter operations at Killington.

Thinking back to Opening Day – Friday, Nov. 20, 2020 – we kicked off winter with uncertainty and new challenges, but we made it work. We made it happen. πŸ’ͺ With your help, we protected the longevity of the season, spanning 170 days at Killington – the longest season in the East! Thank you for being a part of this unforgettable season, for joining us in our Operation Stay Safe efforts, for being patient with us, and for choosing to ski and ride Killington.

Now, we welcome all that summer at The Beast has to offer. The Bike Park and Golf Course open Memorial Day Weekend! The Adventure Center is back in action July 1, and we’re welcoming events back this summer, including Cooler in the Mountains Free Concert Series presented by Bud Light Seltzer.

Cheers to year-round adventure! 🍻 Killington.com

Pez

Lack of snow the reason they don't have stage 1 of the sky ship open? has it been open yet this season?

Was thinking of heading there Tuesday, and love starting my day with a long gondola ride.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lack of snow the reason they don't have stage 1 of the sky ship open? has it been open yet this season?

Was thinking of heading there Tuesday, and love starting my day with a long gondola ride.

KZone has a lot more details...but the Sparknotes version is... Crappy weather and wayyyy under normal staffing levels. They've been only able to make snow on 2-4 trails at a time which is below what they can normally do. They also had a big break on Wildfire at Bear and another infrastructure piece broke over there which shut down snowmaking that side of the hill entirely.

Last season was my last as a K regular...but after a few years of new lifts and lodges and tunnels the next thing we need is new pipe. The stuff on Bear is horrible. Lower GE especially is swiss cheese. After new pipe more pumping capacity is needed... K has a lot but one could argue it is still undersized for the sheer size of the snowmaking system. Even in a cold year they have to pick/choose where they make snow bc there simply isn't enough time to cover it all. They've brought back snowmaking on Conclusion and Pipe Dream, and added it to Great Bear. Rumor is they may add snowmaking back on the Fiddle once the new condos on the Bear side go in...another resource-intensive trail. They never made snow on Vertigo last year. Idler snowmaking is abandoned. Powerline they used to drag hoses/guns through the woods but that hasn't happened in a loooonggg time. The stuff by the Skyeship has been abandoned save for GE. No more Upper Dreamaker either.

Reactions: Pez

skiur

Lower skyeship should be next on the list, they have been doing some pipe repair down there, also a pipe blowout on wildfire (for like the third year in a row) where there was a river they had to make a bridge over on lower wildfire. Snowmaking dept also extremely short staffed this year like everyone else.

mister moose

The forecast changeover to sleet did not happen. The mountain reported storm total of 12 inches and it skis like it. Unlike some storms where the depth is very elevation dependent, there was a foot everywhere by afternoon. Unfortunately there was also long lift lines. All the WFHers will be out tomorrow, but it will still be a great day.

Who cares about Rte 4 Skyeship when ropes are dropping all over South Ridge, Skye Peak and Snowdon?