• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

drjeff

It probably wont all that much os my guess. People are over it vaccinated or not. Mask up maybe? Last season worked on for me honestly

Last season showed that the outdoor side of the sport can be done safely. Will that necessarily mean more reservations for daily lift access and/or capacity reduction in lift loading? That might be more open for debate.

Indoor lodge use and dining may be subject to capacity restrictions and/or mask wearing while not eating.

The simple fact is that all along the risk of transmission while one is outside, while not zero, is really, really, really low

Last edited:

boston_e

I'd predict similar... no real effect on the actual skiing components. Maybe some lift loading or reservation type of stuff.

Depending on how it goes, indoor operations could be affected. I'd also be curious to see if Vermont (the most vaccinated state) could bring back any future travel restrictions on states with lower vaccination rates.... again it all depends on how things go. If some sort of travel restrictions returned, it would be unlikely to directly impact most of the states that skiers visit from since the surrounding states are all pretty high vaccine rates as well.

Hopefully more and more people realize the importance of getting vaccinated over the next month or two.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd be very surprised if next season resembles last unless other business restrictions happen first.

As long as restaurants, theaters, sports arenas etc are going full capacity in the flatlands, I see ski resorts doing the same.

Let those with a low tolerance for risk continue to tailgate etc. Let the rest of us go back to almost near normal. I'd be agreeable to wearing a mask indoors while not eating or drinking if things got real bad again. I will be bullshit if the chairlifts aren't at full capacity again. If you really think a chairlift ride with a stranger will get you Covid, stay home.

Hawk

I tend to think the lift capacity thing will go away. I am not sure about the indoor dining and lodge capacities. I guess it will be up to the individual States and the mandates and guidance they put out. I think if the case numbers go up in November at the start of the season, VT will be the first to mandate masks and limit numbers inside the buildings.

Dickc

I hope we can use the lodges more. I now have trouble walking any real distance and ski boots make that ten times harder. I can still use my vehicle as a lodge if we have to, but would rather take boots and stuff to the lodge and change there to cut down that ski boot walk. Masks inside are annoying, but I'll do it if its deemed needed. Just do not make me wear them outside please.
Yes, I am vaccinated, but with the J & J. Have not seen anything on the news about its efficacy with Delta. Would not surprise me to have J & J declared as needing a booster from either Pfizer or Moderna.

abc

If we continue to see outbreaks and need to social distance, there're a whole lot of other things I would need to worry about. Skiing would be low on that list of concerns. Being able to use the lodge, while significant for my personal circumstance, would be the least of my worries.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I think staffing issues will be the problem this year. Everywhere I go I see help wanted signs lots of competition. It takes a pretty hardy person to be out in the cold for extended periods.
Hopefully the mountains will sweeten the deal with perks but there’s another reason for lift tickets will go up again . Fuel prices are up again too. Mother nature needs to give us a break!

I think the flu will make a comeback this year as well. People are paying more attention to hygiene than the past which is good but not sure if they’ll think that there in the clear because they’ve been vaccinated.

abc

I think the flu will make a comeback this year as well. People are paying more attention to hygiene than the past which is good but not sure if they’ll think that there in the clear because they’ve been vaccinated.
They just need to get vaccinated for flu also.

Social distance and mask wearing will really help a lot too. But it seems we're discontinuing those though

icecoast1

I think staffing issues will be the problem this year. Everywhere I go I see help wanted signs lots of competition. It takes a pretty hardy person to be out in the cold for extended periods.
Hopefully the mountains will sweeten the deal with perks but there’s another reason for lift tickets will go up again . Fuel prices are up again too. Mother nature needs to give us a break!

Yup and tons of people that pay much better than the ski industry are having trouble too. Should be interesting. Foreigners will be back this year though so that will help a bit

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I doubt any state, even the bluest of the blue, will re-implement capacity restrictions. Travel restrictions and mask mandates sure, but any government that re-imposes limits on businesses is committing political suicide at this point.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

2Planker

I doubt any state, even the bluest of the blue, will re-implement capacity restrictions. Travel restrictions and mask mandates sure, but any government that re-imposes limits on businesses is committing political suicide at this point.
Wanna bet ??? Both ME and MA are already discussing it....

abc

Are you living in an alternate universe? You’re not aware of this? 30% of people coming though are not accepting the vaccine and being transported into US communities.
I'm just not aware those same Mexicans are going to help alleviate the staffing shortages in ski industry! ;)

Who's living in an alternative universe?