• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

slatham

Meanwhile, a new Sugarbush web site, with a very revamped conditions page.

Also, please keep me informed of any establishments implementing a self serve beer tap!

KustyTheKlown

Meanwhile, a new Sugarbush web site, with a very revamped conditions page.

Also, please keep me informed of any establishments implementing a self serve beer tap!

there's a place in brooklyn with a self serve tap. you give the bar your credit card, they hand you a "debit card". you swipe when you serve yourself. at the end you re-exchange cards and settle.

mikec142

Umm...eww...that's my first impression!

Although the 2 new webcams that I see are interesting.
I'll get used to the changes...

Agree that I like the two new webcams. Hopefully they add a few more and fix what was turned off last year.

cdskier

I'll get used to the changes...

Agree that I like the two new webcams. Hopefully they add a few more and fix what was turned off last year.
I'll probably get used to the new look too, although I'm more concerned about the missing info that the old site had that the new one doesn't...

Old site - 6 different temperatures (base, mid, and summit at both LP and ME). New site - 1 (base at LP?)
Old site - 10 different snowfall totals (base/mid/summit at 24/48/72 hr intervals plus 1 summit season snowfall total). New site - 1? (Maybe this will change as we get some actual snow to include in the report...so I'll give them a little benefit of the doubt on this for now)
Substantially shorter text blurb on the conditions page (and having to click "read more" to see the full text of it)...

Also...why is "Lower Snowball Woods" the only wooded area listed on the list of trails?

mikec142

I'll probably get used to the new look too, although I'm more concerned about the missing info that the old site had that the new one doesn't...

Old site - 6 different temperatures (base, mid, and summit at both LP and ME). New site - 1 (base at LP?)
Old site - 10 different snowfall totals (base/mid/summit at 24/48/72 hr intervals plus 1 summit season snowfall total). New site - 1? (Maybe this will change as we get some actual snow to include in the report...so I'll give them a little benefit of the doubt on this for now)
Substantially shorter text blurb on the conditions page (and having to click "read more" to see the full text of it)...

Also...why is "Lower Snowball Woods" the only wooded area listed on the list of trails?
I didn't explore the site that much, but all of your points are most definitely concerns that I would have too.

Hawk

This year they will never increase the number of Bar Tenders. Quite simply there is no one to fill the positions they have already open. I have never had any issues at Castlerock getting service. I get to know the bartenders and tip them heavily early on. That way when I walk into the room during the season, I get my drink. Even if I am not at the front of the bar. That is how it works.

nhskier1969

How about a self service beer tap? I would be perfectly ok with that.
Thinking the same thing but what about a beer truck with the taps on the side. You get the beer by scanning your ikon pass. Shows age and gives payment.

Edit: didn't see the following post. But I do like the idea with the ikon pass

tumbler

There is a button you select next to the temp to change the location, base, mid, summit. New site seems fine, need to check out the app though as that is what I use more. I do like the new cameras especially the one to watch the carnage on Downspout.

cdskier

There is a button you select next to the temp to change the location, base, mid, summit. New site seems fine, need to check out the app though as that is what I use more. I do like the new cameras especially the one to watch the carnage on Downspout.

Ahh, either that wasn't there this morning or I missed it. I swear I tried to click on the temp just for the hell of it earlier thinking maybe it would bring up more info. Still though...extra clicks to see info that can be all displayed on one page is such poor UX design... (so we have half the number of temps we used to have...not that there should be a huge difference between ME and LP so I'm somewhat ok only having 1 set of base/mid/temps).

I see another new camera added now too that wasn't there this morning...view from Walts up towards the ME summit. That's another nice new one.

Edit...one more odd thing I just noticed...the order of the trail groupings isn't logical to the way the mountain is laid out. You have Lincoln Peak (summit trails) followed by Mt Ellen, followed by Gadd Peak trails, then North Lynx Peak trails, then Castlerock and finally Inverness. Mt Ellen and Inverness sections should both be one after the other and follow all the LP area groupings. Kind of like the info was put on the new site by someone not familiar with Sugarbush.

Last edited:

djd66

This year they will never increase the number of Bar Tenders. Quite simply there is no one to fill the positions they have already open. I have never had any issues at Castlerock getting service. I get to know the bartenders and tip them heavily early on. That way when I walk into the room during the season, I get my drink. Even if I am not at the front of the bar. That is how it works.
Hawk -

Trust me,... I know how the bar works - my wife might say too well. I've been going to all the bars up there for too many years and I am a very heavy tipper. But plenty of times, I go and there is just 1 (maybe 2) bar tenders serving drinks for 200+ thirsty people + the wait staff. Maybe I'm too old, but I just don't have the patience to wait and try to get the bartenders attention when there are 20 others trying to do the same. I agree, staffing is an issue this year, however, I would think the amount of money the bartender makes for 4 hours of work - they could easily find more people. If not,... so be it. I just can't count the amount of times I have skipped happy hour and I'm sure I am not the only one. The Bar is one of the biggest profit centers - if they want to try and make up some revenue - that is one place they could. But what do I know?

cdskier

I just noticed there was a blog post in the Sugarblog made last week about the "upcoming" new website (and app, webcams, etc). (For some reason I'm no longer getting the Sugarblog e-mails on my primary e-mail address and only noticed the e-mail mentioning the website upgrade when I just checked one of my other e-mail accounts).

Anyway...I thought this blurb from the blog about the website was somewhat interesting:
One of our most frequently visited webpages, the snow report, is also getting a nice overhaul. We know that change can be hard, particularly with a webpage you check as often as many of you likely check the snow report, but we think that once you get used to it you’ll love it. The backend for our snow reporters is going to be much easier to navigate and with that comes the ability to offer you new information. There are a lot of possibilities that we’re still tweaking, but more clarity on what part of a trail was groomed, what shift it was groomed, or whether snowmaking is happening at night or during the day are just a few of the cool new labels we can give things.

Those are potentially good enhancements.

NYSnowflake

Hi Sugarbush folks! New member here. Joined the forums mostly to chime in on the Sugarbush thread. I will be at Sugarbush about every other weekend this season and staying at Mt. Ellen, which is a totally new plan for me. I have only skied at SB a handful of times. In past years we skiied all over NY and VT with our club and on Epic Pass. Hoping to meet some regulars to ski groomers with at SB because my peeps are all working at the mtn and I am the only one freeskiing. Covid and Vail/Alterra destroyed our ski club day trip routine, so I guess this is how we adapt.

Kingslug20

Last month they were looking for a snow reporter on their hiring site..guess they found him/her?

skiur

If skiing groomers is your thing, sugarbush would be pretty low on my list. Certainly not what they are known for.

NYSnowflake

If skiing groomers is your thing, sugarbush would be pretty low on my list. Certainly not what they are known for.
Well my friends bought a condo up there and invited us to stay with them. My significant other has taken a job as an instructor there as well. I am along for the ride. I’ve always enjoyed myself when I’ve been there.

cdskier

I was thinking the same thing. Not that someone can't have fun skiing the groomers as they do have enough of them to keep someone entertained. My brother is a primarily groomer guy and likes Sugarbush. My dad now sticks to groomers per doctor's orders and still loves SB.