• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beware of Northeast Skiology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I'm not sure you could call Skiology a business. I think that is the goal, but it's a really tough thing to do. Ski The East has sort of "perfected" that model, and personally I consider STE a failure.

I learned in my 20s, that taking something you love to do, and trying to make it a business, can ruin it for you. I was a passionate artist, and tried to make it, and the experience put me off fine art forever. When I found blogging, I learned I loved it in the same way. I will never try to turn it into a true business. I certainly have costs that I try to cover with advertising, and the only ask I make is that, if you value what we do, you don't use ad blockers when visiting our site.

I hate begging, and don't do it. The ad block thing is a close as I come to it. And I don't mention it too often.

Puck it

He also has stated there is too much snow of powder days. It was a couple of years ago, that he complained about. Someone else may remember better than I as I just heard about.

KustyTheKlown

CDBED7FE-A08C-4518-8FF0-976B57B74C7D.jpegLol guy is such a dork and his culty fans are worse

I’m at killington skiing in the sun - life is good

Attachments

• 9228A514-6AA3-4576-8535-21265B25C560.jpeg
    9228A514-6AA3-4576-8535-21265B25C560.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 23

JDMRoma

He also has stated there is too much snow of powder days. It was a couple of years ago, that he complained about. Someone else may remember better than I as I just heard about.
I believe it was anything over 6 inches is too much ! too hard to board in I guess !

icecoast1

Just putting an FYI out to this group. The social media feeds run by skiology Matt (who isn't by degree a meteorologist- but I will admit does a weather analysis on par with most average pay for info ski weather sites) isn't a ski resort insider, regardless of the insinuations he makes. So do your financial supporting of his site with some skepticism and a grain of salt.

Since as a person who has contributed in the 3 figures to his site over the last year or so found out this week that if you choose to be part of a social media group that questions anything he says (Northeast Clownology) on FB, that he will direct messenge you threatening to ban you from his site) and then apparently trying to post to his site that Killington passed FIS snow control for this year's WC cup races, when he speculated on his site a day before that his weather thoughts didn't think it would happen, was agregious enough for him to ban me from his FB group, it will happen to you too...)

Additionally you are never allowed to have your own critically thinking ideas about anything COVID, as he apparently is incapable of considering a thought process anything other that Dr Fauci's whom as most anyone now should be able to see should be brought into question!

That guy is such a toolbag, after lecturing people about COVID and then disregarding the rules himself, I can't believe people give that guy money. Putting it in a barrel and lighting it on fire would be a better use of your cash

abc

I'm not sure you could call Skiology a business. I think that is the goal
That makes it ”a business”. Therefore should stand on its own in terms of financing.

On the ad blocker front, some sites gently put up a banner to remind you turn off the ad blocker. Some sites simply wouldn’t let you read the content with an ad blocker (and offer a subscription to avoid ads). I think those are quite reasonable ways to get financial support in exchange for contents people really care about.

abc

Way back when (to be specific, late 80’s and early 90’s), there were computer software technical discussion boards that were run not for profit. The owner(s) were typically running it to get technical discussions to help each other. I contributed to those back then, as my job performance (and income from such) was significantly enhanced thanks to ideas/advices from such boards. Those were the days there were no advertising on discussion boards.

But eventually, even those boards started cashing in with advertising. That’s when I stoped contributing financially. After all, they were no longer ”free”: my present alone (“eyeballs”) was revenue to them. So there’s no point in my giving money on top of just being there.

BTW, I tune my ad blocker very loose. I want ads to come in. I’m also a believer in targeted ads being the future direction of internet commerce (rather than being bombarded by totally irrelevant ads). So I’m helping sites and algorithm creators by allowing ads and acting on ads that interest me. I see that as my “payment” to contents I like.

Those are my geeky response to the current state of internet commerce.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I'm not sure you could call Skiology a business. I think that is the goal
Let me rephrase this.

I personally wouldn't classify it as a business. It relies on volunteers, requires hours of labor, and doesn't providing a living wage for one person. To me it's more like a full time hobby. I don't believe the CEO would agree with me.

abc

o me it's more like a full time hobby.
OK, I'll give you that.

But again, why should I fund someone else's hobby? Oh wait, I'm already doing that.

By visiting, my "eyeball" counts in the google analytic in calculating ad prices. Fine, I have no problem someone is benefiting (financial or another way) from my being there, as long as the content is to my interest.

And if my interest/hobby aligns with a blog/forum/site, I don't even give a second thought on "volunteering" my time on them too.

But contributing money is a more significant step. I'm not a believer of the "community service" talk. Too many owners aren't "providing community service". They're either fanning their ego, aiming for eventual financial payoff, or even padding their resume etc. I would only give money for one of two purposes, 1) non-profit, 2) investment. 99% of the sites we're talking about aren't that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against anyone making their hobby pay. Or at least a bit of income to offset the expense of their hobby. I just don't have any illusion as to what all these bloggers are doing. As such, I'm not motivated in financing these hobbyists.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
abc we aren't disagreeing. When I said "to me it's more like a full time hobby" I was talking about Skiology. NYSkiBlog is more like a regular hobby. Part time, with no revenue goals or expectations.

I don't think you should fund Skiology, unless you really believe in it and want to insure it continues.

I feel like saying PLEASE is BS. Spend your money on things you want, that provide value to you.

abc

We're not disagreeing.
I don't think you should fund Skiology, unless you really believe in it and want to insure it continues.
I haven't even heard of Skiology until this thread. So obviously I wouldn't have any motivation to fund it. But if it provides an indispensable service to some, I could understand why they may wish to "insure it continues".

But judging from the comments in this thread, that is far from the truth. It sounds more like a hobby, a hobby to get an ego trip! It's just coincidental that it occasionally have some useful content. ;)

Sorry for being such a cynic. I've been an enthusiastic early user of "crowd sourced information" (or the glorified term of "online community", a term I dislike). But I'm not a fan of blogs. I've seen all kinds of sites pretending to be what they're not. A lot of the time, even the owner (blogger) don't realize it consciously. They just follow where their hobby take them. Nothing wrong with that. It's the follower/worshiper that I found naive.

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
We're not disagreeing.

I haven't even heard of Skiology until this thread. So obviously I wouldn't have any motivation to fund it. But if it provides an indispensable service to some, I could understand why they may wish to "insure it continues".

But judging from the comments in this thread, that is far from the truth. It sounds more like a hobby, a hobby to get an ego trip! It's just coincidental that it occasionally have some useful content. ;)

Sorry for being such a cynic. I've been an enthusiastic early user of "crowd sourced information" (or the glorified term of "online community", a term I dislike). But I'm not a fan of blogs. I've seen all kinds of sites pretending to be what they're not. A lot of the time, even the owner (blogger) don't realize it consciously. They just follow where their hobby take them. Nothing wrong with that. It's the follower/worshiper that I found naive.
The guy has 20k fans so somebody likes it.

One thing that drew me in, he would make windhold forecasts. If you're a regular at a mountain you know what is what. And truthfully I'd probably never go to a place I didn't know after a big storm, but that seemed pretty cool to me.

abc

The guy has 20k fans so somebody likes it.
How many of those fans actually pay attention?

(I ask because a close friend of mine told me he has 10k followers but he suspect many of them are too lazy to remove themselves after the initial "check it out" period)

One thing that drew me in, he would make windhold forecasts. If you're a regular at a mountain you know what is what. And truthfully I'd probably never go to a place I didn't know after a big storm, but that seemed pretty cool to me.
Well, if his predictions are good, I can see others consider it worthwhile. Is it?

eatskisleep

Really ? He was the Douche that sent people around harassing ski areas that were still open when Covid hit the fan. his whack a do followers were threatening ski area employees and video taping the parking lots on the day everything got shut down
Holy shit that’s nuts! Wtf is wrong with people

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Sure he's full of himself. Most folks promoting themselves on the Internet are.

I still find it a useful source of information about where to ski when for optimal weather, snow, and snow making conditions, that is provided for free and conveniently pops up on my Facebook feed since I follow him.

If someone values the info he provides enough to want to give him some money, that's cool to. I haven't noticed him asking for money in a way I find annoying, and have not yet given him any.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
How many of those fans actually pay attention?
Unknown, to me anyway.

There is definitely some valuable info there. I want a 7-10 day heads up on storm POTENTIAL. If it doesn't pan out I'm ok with it. But I need more than 3-5 days to plan an escape from work.

But IMO it's like 24 hour cable news. If you feel like you have to speak, all the time, at every moment. There will be a lot of BS.

Last edited:

drjeff

This is a nice summation from vtskiandride about an incident they had with him last year.

He does a good job with his weather a analysis.

His ability to handle anyone attempting to have a different opinion than his or add a bit of perspective from a different angle has created many problems for him and some followers of his site

Status
Not open for further replies.