• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon pass question

SkiingInABlueDream

Basic question, hoping I can get some quick help?
I bought an Ikon pass in early December. I haven't received anything in the mail yet. The checklist section in my account looks like everything is ok. (I've uploaded a picture and signed the liability.) The overall status says "In progress" which tells me nothing.

Can I just go to a ticket window or service desk the first time I plan to use the pass and get it printed there? (That was how it worked at Stowe for the Epic day passes I bought** but I figured I'd check for Ikon before I head up.)

**Yes I feel dirty and resentful about giving vail my money. Some friends wanted to ski at Stowe one weekend last month and I wanted to join them, so that was that.🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Smellytele

Basic question, hoping I can get some quick help?
I bought an Ikon pass in early December. I haven't received anything in the mail yet. The checklist section in my account looks like everything is ok. (I've uploaded a picture and signed the liability.) The overall status says "In progress" which tells me nothing.

Can I just go to a ticket window or service desk the first time I plan to use the pass and get it printed there? (That was how it worked at Stowe for the Epic day passes I bought** but I figured I'd check for Ikon before I head up.)

**Yes I feel dirty and resentful about giving vail my money. Some friends wanted to ski at Stowe one weekend last month and I wanted to join them, so that was that.🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes you can go to an Ikon mountain and get a pass

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Speaking of ikon, does Alterra run the Resorts they own like vail? With a central location and no local input/ management?

Rumor is they're much less standardized/corporate like Vail. Ex- each hill can make many decisions independent of corporate. Some stuff is standard though like website.

Good example- Squaw/Palisades and Mammoth are just a few hours from each other and go super long in their season. It would be like Stowe and Okemo both going til May 1...inconceivable under Vail but Alterra allows it.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Also I'll add I talked to one Alterra resort about working their in a supervisory role this past summer. They were making their own decisions it seemed and not cutting corners. For example, they wanted me there early November to learn the roles weeks and weeks before the resort opened. Doubt you would see that from Vail. Benefits were OK. There was no talk of "standardizing the product" resort-to-resort a la Vail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Speaking of ikon, does Alterra run the Resorts they own like vail? With a central location and no local input/ management?
Yes. To elaborate, there is SOME local discretion for each resort. I say some. I am not an insider, but am commenting based upon what I have seen at Solitude/Deer Valley/Steamboat.

From the last couple months at Deer Valley, it is clear that no Resort COO can question Alterra about crowds and IKON. The Deer Valley COO made it public that he was "exploring" limiting IKON passes in order to reduce crowding at DV. He's gone now.

In terms of big ticket spending, passes, marketing, website, and those sorts of things, it's clear that Alterra calls the shots.

One Solitude employee told me that the most recent COO retired because she was not happy with Alterra telling them what to do and when to do it. That said. it is not quite as centralized as Vail, but it is pretty close from what I've seen. Particularly marketing and concerns with IKON crowding. All the Alterra Resorts and partner resorts had identical talking points in 2019 when locals started grumbling about crowds.

Last edited:

hovercraft

Rumor is they're much less standardized/corporate like Vail. Ex- each hill can make many decisions independent of corporate. Some stuff is standard though like website.

Good example- Squaw/Palisades and Mammoth are just a few hours from each other and go super long in their season. It would be like Stowe and Okemo both going til May 1...inconceivable under Vail but Alterra allows it.
apple to oranges, Stowe has a lease with the state it can’t go past the 3rd weekend in April

Pez

I bought mine back in early December but never uploaded a pic until a week and a half ago. I'm guessing I'm going to have to pick it up, but it would be nice to know if they're gong to mail it

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bought mine back in early December but never uploaded a pic until a week and a half ago. I'm guessing I'm going to have to pick it up, but it would be nice to know if they're gong to mail it
Yeah, as said, best to go to the resort. I know someone who had major issues with IKON passes. He waited on the phone for six hours and nothing. Alterra sent him duplicates of THREE of the FOUR passes. The fourth one was sent to a stranger who was nice enough to look up the guy and mail it to them. Pretty effed up.

jaytrem

apple to oranges, Stowe has a lease with the state it can’t go past the 3rd weekend in April
Must be a new lease restriction since they went to April 24th in 2016 and April 23 in 2017.

chuckstah

Must be a new lease restriction since they went to April 24th in 2016 and April 23 in 2017.
It's not restricted. It's close to a 100 year lease from sometime in the 1960's and expires I think in about 2060. Stowe has operated into late April or May multiple times over the years.

jaytrem

It's not restricted. It's close to a 100 year lease from sometime in the 1960's and expires I think in about 2060. Stowe has operated into late April or May multiple times over the years.
I know. I was just trying to be nice, so I left out the "I call bullshit!" part.

gladerider

my daughter ordered hers in October or so but didn't upload her photo, so she didn't get the pass sent to her. she went to the customer service, i think, at sugarbush and they printed her pass. took minutes.

my little one lost her pass on a trail after falling. went to the customer service desk at Killington. they verified my identity and printed the pass right there. took minutes.