• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Magic is going to try. C’mon Sugarbush! Make snow!

Historically speaking, Sugarbush is not one of the resorts that plays the "resurfacing via snowmaking" game after a thaw/freeze event. They rely on grooming to fix the surfaces. Their snowmaking strategy is to make the amount of snow they need on each trail to get through the season in 1 main shot (with the exception of going back to add depth to the spring trails once primary snowmaking is completed on all other trails).

I'm not going to say they've never made snow this late to resurface some key areas...just it is very unlikely and not their SOP so don't get your hopes up.

Los

Historically speaking, Sugarbush is not one of the resorts that plays the "resurfacing via snowmaking" game after a thaw/freeze event. They rely on grooming to fix the surfaces. Their snowmaking strategy is to make the amount of snow they need on each trail to get through the season in 1 main shot (with the exception of going back to add depth to the spring trails once primary snowmaking is completed on all other trails).

I'm not going to say they've never made snow this late to resurface some key areas...just it is very unlikely and not their SOP so don't get your hopes up.
Agreed, but still wish they would - I presume the ponds are filled to the brim…

Hawk

Policy or not it is foolish not to at least resurface one or two trials for vacation week. People have shelled out thousands to stay for the week. I will never agree with this policy they have. I skied yesterday and it was not pretty. Just a couple more days for snowmaking on Spring fling, snowball, downspout and organgrinder maybe slowpoke for the beginners would make a world of difference.

I can't wait for the rosey colored outlook saying that the groomers are doing a great job and the little bit of snow mixed in is making a huge difference. Wait and watch for it. LOL

HowieT2

Policy or not it is foolish not to at least resurface one or two trials for vacation week. People have shelled out thousands to stay for the week. I will never agree with this policy they have. I skied yesterday and it was not pretty. Just a couple more days for snowmaking on Spring fling, snowball, downspout and organgrinder maybe slowpoke for the beginners would make a world of difference.

I can't wait for the rosey colored outlook saying that the groomers are doing a great job and the little bit of snow mixed in is making a huge difference. Wait and watch for it. LOL
I blew off driving to sunday river. Didnt want to go ice skating.

cdskier

I agree with you. At least running a few guns on several different trails in key spots would make a huge difference. I skipped skiing yesterday after work as I figured it would be terrible. Today was ok the first few runs, but getting very scraped off with lots of ice being exposed after that. Just grabbed a sandwich at Mutha Stuffers and will be relaxing in my condo the rest of the day lol.

NYSnowflake

I agree with you. At least running a few guns on several different trails in key spots would make a huge difference. I skipped skiing yesterday after work as I figured it would be terrible. Today was ok the first few runs, but getting very scraped off with lots of ice being exposed after that. Just grabbed a sandwich at Mutha Stuffers and will be relaxing in my condo the rest of the day lol.
I miss Peak Resorts. They used to work absolute miracles resurfacing Mt. Snow after a thaw event.

Hawk

So I basically skied Birdland to lower organgrinder 10 x. a couple or snowball - Springflings and a couple of domino chutes to organgriners and I was done. Definately not a top 10 day but I got out. Margaritas and nachos now on the docket.

This is the way!

cdskier

So I basically skied Birdland to lower organgrinder 10 x. a couple or snowball - Springflings and a couple of domino chutes to organgriners and I was done. Definately not a top 10 day but I got out. Margaritas and nachos now on the docket.

This is the way!

Birdland 10x? I couldn't convince myself it would be worth it to even ski it 1x today. I basically hit all the groomed runs off SB/VH a bunch of times and that was it.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to walk over to take photos of the fireworks or not tonight.

Hawk

Perfect timing tonight. Just as the torchlight started a huge squall rolled in and obsured everything. Not very good for pictures. Soon as the fire works were over the skies cleared. The mountain can't buy a break this weekend. Oh well.

cdskier

Perfect timing tonight. Just as the torchlight started a huge squall rolled in and obsured everything. Not very good for pictures. Soon as the fire works were over the skies cleared. The mountain can't buy a break this weekend. Oh well.
HAHA. That timing was uncanny. I did end up walking all the way down to the road by the parking lot and grabbed a bunch of photos. Definitely some of the most unique fireworks photos I've ever taken.

DS7_3562c.jpg
DS7_3606c.jpg
DS7_3610c.jpgDS7_3617c.jpgDS7_3621c.jpg

tumbler

I’ve been wondering why Birdland is no longer groomed, it’s one of my favorites to start the day on.

pinnoke

My guess is that they didn't get to make as much snow on it as they would've liked, due to the pipe repair that needed to be completed, first?

Kingslug20

They groomed upper birdland?
Kind of rocky in there..
Murphys is more of a morning run

cdskier

My guess is that they didn't get to make as much snow on it as they would've liked, due to the pipe repair that needed to be completed, first?
My guess as well was because they didn't make as much snow...although I thought Birdland had less snow made due to running out of water before they could finish it.

They groomed upper birdland?
Kind of rocky in there..
Murphys is more of a morning run
You're thinking of lower birdland. Upper Birdland most years is regularly groomed. Mid-week they'll sometimes alternate between grooming Birdland and Murphys and then on the weekends groom both typically. This year I think Upper Birdland has only been groomed once or twice (I know it was done at least once to spread the snowmaking piles out...but can't remember if it was groomed again after that).

SkiTheEast

Ouch, more mechanical issues on Bravo? - seem to be piling up this season...,tough start to the holiday week. And not doing a Sugarbush vs K thing but since people mentioned snowmaking after the recent r*** I see on the 'gram that they have 125 guns going right now...:oops:

WinS

I have not spoken to anyone about the snowmaking plan, but this is how I believe it will be thought about to decide. First, is the cost. GMP read the meter in the first few days of the month after snowmaking ceased. By turning on now there is a significant demand charge for the month. This year snowmaking expense has risen significantly, and I am quite sure the electricity cost is way over budget. Under the tariff agreement GMP can curtail in a couple of ways. One they can mandate a total or partial shutdown or they can allow snowmaking to continue if Sugarbush buys through in the spot market. They did that once to us a few years ago and have done this on multiple days this winter. Say the tariff is 13 cents a KWH, buying through this winter has been as high as 29c a KWH. I am sure the Sugarbush team is very frustrated with this. The second decisiom is getting the staffing. The snowmakers who stay around are working lifts now. Also control room personnel have to be brought back. A few years ago we turned snowmaking back on later than this. I believe Shady was here and one of the 4 or so we pulled fro lifts for a couple of days of snowmaking. If I were betting I would out it at 50/50 with the focus on some of the spring trails where it is not as deep as past years and where there are towers.