• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Booting Up in Lodges and Bag Storage Updates

jimk

Everything is pretty much normal in Utah based on my visits this winter to Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton and Deer Valley. Also seemed pretty normal for my Colorado visits this winter to Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, Steamboat, and Copper Mtn. I very rarely eat at an on-slope restaurant that has wait-service, so I don't know if any of these places required masks until food arrives?? All the cafeteria type facilities I've visited this season in CO and UT didn't require masks.

I mostly ski Snowbird (got 25+ days there this winter) and almost always boot up at my car since I'm generally able to find free ski-in, ski-out parking seven days per week there.

Last edited:

kickstand

I sooo agree with this. It really drives me nuts when people just leave their stuff on or under a table. To great extend that's on the management. If no proper place storage is provided, people will just default to less than considerate behavior. Sugarloaf is a prime example for this. Mid week, it's not too bad but a weekend day, it's really bad.
As an aside, I really appreciate being able to boot up inside. Schlepping in ski boots from a parking lot is the pits and it really rips up their bottoms.
In the few times I've had to eat at a table where people have left their crap under the table, I've made it a point to rest my feet on top of said crap. I can be an asshole, too.

Mum skier

having kids it was actually easier booting up at the vehicle then having to lug 3 kids worth of shit into the lodge. Did we do it sometimes? Yes cold windy days for sure. Walking in ski boots has never bothered me nor anyone in my family. I broke them in early (kids not boots).
Yes. I find it easier making the kids walk with their stuff on than lugging it all into the lodge and then repeating at the end of the day. I’d rather have my boots on my feet than have to carry them. We were lucky in that the Covid year they were 8 and 9 and able to do it.

Sunapee no longer requires vaccine cards, hasn’t for a while. Masks dropped a couple weeks ago. Non skiers or cold skiers can stay as long as they like in the lodge (if you can find a spot) You can leave bags for free in either the main lodge or Spruce lodge. Some people have started leaving them at tables again ( bad ). But extremely limited food service. Only the main lodge for hot food. Cold snacks and hot chocolate at Spruce. Nothing at summit, restrooms and sit inside to warm up.

flakeydog

In the few times I've had to eat at a table where people have left their crap under the table, I've made it a point to rest my feet on top of said crap. I can be an asshole, too.
Clearly… you could also just sit there normally like we’ve been doing for decades. Many aspects of skiing involve a sense of community. We share chairs, we often share tables in the lodge on a crowded day and some times squeeze on to a bench where god forbid someone has put their bag under the table because there was nowhere else to put it. 1st world problems…

da-bum

Non skiers or cold skiers can stay as long as they like in the lodge (if you can find a spot)
That means its back to the overcrowding of the cafeteria, where a non-skiing member of the family take up the whole table and spread the lunch and clothes of the rest of the family. The person will occupy the table the whole day while reading their book. I usually grab lunch after 1pm on weekdays and have problem finding a table, so I can only imagine how much worse it is around noontime on weekends.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stratton got rid of their cubbies in the main base lodge and started charging $5 a day to use the new cubbies that you have to go outside to get to. Over at Sun Bowl they still have free cubbies but you can't leave bags anywhere in the lodge.
Alta has done the same.

Honestly I like booting up at the car and leaving my stuff there. At least my car is locked. It’s a lot easier.

Mum skier

That means its back to the overcrowding of the cafeteria, where a non-skiing member of the family take up the whole table and spread the lunch and clothes of the rest of the family. The person will occupy the table the whole day while reading their book. I usually grab lunch after 1pm on weekdays and have problem finding a table, so I can only imagine how much worse it is around noontime on weekends.
Yes we stared seeing that again at Sunapee . I quite liked the limited time allowed in lodge. But we all skied so we only ever wanted a quick 20 minutes snack.

jimk

@da-bum I bring a folding chair if I’m planning on booting up in the parking lot, much easier than trying to use car seat.
Used a folding chair today at Snowbird. Shot taken around 11:15 when I switched from skinny to bigger skis. Snowed about 6" today, but it all fell during the ski day and was dry when I booted up 830am and took boots off 315pm :p
car 20 mar.jpg

Kingslug20

JH doesnt have the best boot up place..but whatever..the lot isnt that far.
Sporty day today...dumped about 6 inches today on top of crusty stuff20220320_104049.jpg20220320_104057.jpg20220320_104102.jpg

jimk

@Kingslug20 I am amazed at the amount and variety of skiing/riding you do. Seems like you constantly alternate between postings from New England and Rocky Mtns, while skiing all winter long and racking up a lot of days doing it! Whereas I just mostly park my butt in UT for four months. :confused:

da-bum

Used a folding chair today at Snowbird. Shot taken around 11:15 when I switched from skinny to bigger skis. Snowed about 6" today, but it all fell during the ski day and was dry when I booted up 830am and took boots off 315pm :p
I'm back to booting up at the lodge and leave my bag there. It's would be too out of the way just to grab some snack to have with lunch, change goggles or remove/add an additional layer (usually during lunch). We use to put 2 sets of boots, helmets and multiple goggle/gloves in a rolling duffel bag and my lady friend would roll that to the lodge, while I carry all the skis, but switched to our old boot bag with the limited storage space in the changing area that were opened this year.

If I bring multiple pair of skis, I would just leave the other pair right by the lift line and swap out with no time lost.

Kingslug20

@Kingslug20 I am amazed at the amount and variety of skiing/riding you do. Seems like you constantly alternate between postings from New England and Rocky Mtns, while skiing all winter long and racking up a lot of days doing it! Whereas I just mostly park my butt in UT for four months. :confused:
I get around ..just ski though..Theres 8 of us here skiers and boarders....I like both now that i can ski vermont on a regular basis..had more powder days there than out west. But nothing beats the western terrain.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

At sun valley they had little wagons you could use to drag your stuff around..never seen that before.

boston_e

At sun valley they had little wagons you could use to drag your stuff around..never seen that before.
Killington and Pico has those - or at least they did last year. Not sure I’ve noticed them this year or not.

4aprice

Until its spring I'm not a huge fan of booting at the car. This past Thanksgiving week reinforced that with -2 in the parking lot at Winter Park. The boots were as cranky as I was. Only place I wouldn't know where to go to find indoor benches and lockers would be Aspen Mountain and they probably have them I just don't know where. I've become a huge fan of my Trans Pack with the slings for the boots on the outside of the pack, unfortunately they don't seem to make the same model anymore, which I know because I was trying to get one to keep out west with the equipment I keep out there. Have found a similar Volkl Bag which I may have to purchase but its not cheap.

Newpylong

Then you gotta contend with the mud in the spring lol.

I am not a huge fan of vehicle booting up unless the only lodge options available I know are going to be swamped.

boston_e

At least 50% of the time, I am parking closer to a lift than a lodge, and with most tickets / passes now being direct to lift there is no reason (or less requirement) to go to the loge. In those cases, I always boot up at the car. The remainder, I'm a mix of both, but overall I'm probably more likely to skip lugging the bag to the lodge.