• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

i got bored and booked a 2 week ski trip

KustyTheKlown

friday feb 17 - weds march 1

fly into SLC.
rented a turo (2016 subaru legacy with snow tires) - $850
drive to jackson, ski 4-5 days, room at motel feb 18-22 - $395 option or $800 option
drive to sun valley, ski 3-4 days, room at motel feb 22-25 - $400
drive to ogden, ski 1-2 days each at powmow and Snowbasin, room at motel feb 25-mar 1 - $495
fly home from SLC

11 ski days, 3 states = $2140 + flight (~$550) = ~$2700

all skiing is ikon or indy, and i got the full ikon specifically to accommodate these destinations

the only way to stay in the cheapest places that let you reserve now pay later, and also have free cancellation, is to book it at the height of summer.

hopper and kayak both said to wait on flight. and flight is the only thing i need to commit to when i do choose to buy it.

no money down for anything except the turo, but I'll be happy to have that paid come february

1659365534664.png

Last edited:

abc

Nice trip!

hopper and kayak both said to wait on flight. and flight is the only thing i need to commit to when i do choose to buy it.

no money down for anything except the turo, but I'll be happy to have that paid come february
How does the car reservation work when you haven't committed to a flight? Or do you already know which flight you'll be buying sooner or later?

KustyTheKlown

i know the dates i am looking at and i can probably adjust the exact time for the car rental when i know specifics for flight times, but this particular turo owner just leaves the car in the airport lot for you and you pay the day rate to get it out, so as long as i show up on Friday feb 17 its gonna be like $18 or whatever the day rate is no matter what. same deal when i return it, i just park in the airport lot and leave the key in a dropbox on the car.

NYDB

I'm surprised you are hitting Sun Valley. it would be the last mountain I would ever think you'd be interested in based on your posting history.

thanks for reminder to book though. i got my week at JH reserved

KustyTheKlown

I'm surprised you are hitting Sun Valley. it would be the last mountain I would ever think you'd be interested in based on your posting history.

thanks for reminder to book though. i got my week at JH reserved

i'm aware that its less gnarly than what i typically am chasing, and that its even kind of overly groomed, but its still an important and historic american ski destination i should experience and have an opinion on for myself. and i want to check out ketchum. its also after 4-5 days at jackson so I'm sure i will appreciate dialing it back for a few days. and then its back off to utah where i can surely get into good trouble. i know powmow is on the mellow side, I've been already, but its so sprawling and chill. snowbasin will be new for me. i like the mix of new and old destinations at play here. beaver mountain utah is also an option on indy

abc

i'm aware that its less gnarly than what i typically am chasing, and that its even kind of overly groomed, but its still an important and historic american ski destination i should experience and have an opinion on for myself.
I'd be curious to read what you thought of it after you experience it first hand!

The "historic" factor in my view is way overplayed. The place is definitely overly groomed. Everything a northeast skier had too much of back home. You forego SLC areas to spent the time going to Sun Valley surprised me also. (I went once, felt once was enough. Though skied it a second time as I was driving right by it on my way to Whistler, only for a day. Didn't improve my impression the second time around)

ctdubl07

Funny, i was bored this weekend to and booked Feb vaca week to Heavenly.
With current airfare pricing insanity, the 6 RT tix at $950 each isnt fun....

KustyTheKlown

i dont really view it as foregoing the SLC areas. mainly because I've been to them all so many times and i am seeking a big road trip and new sights. if i really find myself bored by sun valley after a day or two on the hill i can always audible to SLC and get a very cheap in-town motel and ski alta/bird/brighton/solitude/dv.

i dislike that none of these are cannabis states. i hate flying with weed.

KustyTheKlown

Funny, i was bored this weekend to and booked Feb vaca week to Heavenly.
With current airfare pricing insanity, the 6 RT tix at $950 each isnt fun....

did you pull the trigger? i think prices are going to go down. not just because hopper and kayak said so. i don't think the airlines are necessarily fully scheduled that far in advance, and i think fuel cost is trending in the right direction. new flights will appear over time. i am anticipating a $500-$600 cost for direct flights to salt lake (currently $800-$1100). i am not fucking with connecting flights this year, the airlines are too in disarray. maybe a connecting flight coming home if it makes a big price difference. def not for going there.

ThatGuy

i dislike that none of these are cannabis states. i hate flying with weed.
Not a fan of flying with weed either, but in NY they won’t do anything about it/throw it out if found. Just take a cart or two in your carry on and maybe some flower packed into your luggage and you’ll be fine. TSA has bigger priorities, especially since they are so understaffed currently.

KustyTheKlown

i vacuum seal and stuff in a sock and have had no problems. i just don't like the anxiety of it. also am aware that they arent looking for it.

crank

I have flown with weed so much that I never even worry about it anymore. I double ziplock bag it but that's about it. I also bring gummies in carry on.

On a trip to Chamonix I didn't bring any, was jonesing and actually found a roach in my shell's pocket.

Sun Valley has never floated my boat either but it would be fun for a few days I'm sure. I actually planned and contracted for a trip there for my ski club because I thought it would be a great place for most of them and I got a great price on a brand new, really nice hotel. I didn't go on the trip though.

KustyTheKlown

preznits weekend at JH. probably be an IKONIC shitshow no?

a few thoughts on that...

- I've used the president's day holiday for my big trip almost every year. i need to be conscious of the time off from work so the day off allows me to take a big trip without taking too many actual days off. its also kind of a fake holiday. a lot of people have to work. that means a lot of families cant go on a ski trip even if kids are off. and are kids even off in all states for presidents day?
- some places it seems that they actually are quieter on holidays when the base pass is blacked out. especially president's and MLK, which lots of businesses don't give off
- jackson has reservations so they're doing something to limit capacity somehow anyway
- i am alone and skiing singles line and I'm an early riser. aside from an opening gondola and occasional tram lap, lines shouldn't really effect me personally.

Last edited:

djd66

i vacuum seal and stuff in a sock and have had no problems. i just don't like the anxiety of it. also am aware that they arent looking for it.
That's what I do when I flying back from Colombia, seems to work.

NYDB

a few thoughts on that...

- some places it seems that they actually are quieter on holidays when the base pass is blacked out
- jackson has reservations so they're doing something to limit capacity somehow anyway
- is presidents weekend even observed in all states?
- i am alone and skiing singles line and I'm an early riser. aside from an opening gondola and occasional tram lap, lines shouldn't really effect me personally.
yeah I agree with all that. not every place has the entire week off but I'm pretty sure the three day weekend is universal.

definitely have seen the blackout effect here on the east coast.

abc

I have flown with weed so much that I never even worry about it anymore. I double ziplock bag it but that's about it. I also bring gummies in carry on.

On a trip to Chamonix I didn't bring any
I wonder if that's what happened to Brittney Griner... (forget about restriction in other countries)

I've had my pocket knife confiscated when transiting through a Chinese airport. Should have read the fine prints more closely...

Smellytele

I wonder if that's what happened to Brittney Griner... (forget about restriction in other countries)

I've had my pocket knife confiscated when transiting through a Chinese airport. Should have read the fine prints more closely...
Not sure you can have a pocket knife going on a flight in the US let alone China.