• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This season (2022-2023) compared to other years past slow and rough starts on multiple ski mountains and resorts. Trail conditions and trail counts,

MidnightJester

What do you snow lovers think about this year and the trail counts and lack of natural snow till this point in time with not happy cat track ice areas. The rain mid week helped seal the tracked in the ice : ( I rode Killington and 29 trails on Saturday and 27 trails at Okemo on Sunday. I had gone in the past at this point on the calendar or earlier with better conditions almost every other time I can remember.

Last edited:

djd66

You definitely win the contest for longest thread titles. You also win for keeping this place lively (a good thing)

This season is probably the worst start I have ever seen in 50+ years of skiing. (for the east coast)

deadheadskier

Staff member
One of the worst, but the start to seasons has been trending bad for awhile.

Fun fact, Burlington VT is 7 degrees warmer today in winter than it was in 1970. The greatest increase of any metro in the country studied.

KustyTheKlown

I guess my memory doesn't go back that far,... what did 2015 look like in December?

2015 looked like november in december, and january, and february, and march. we were skiing WROD all year. riding chairs over grass, just about all year.

abc

but the start to seasons has been trending bad for awhile.
Definitely!

I used to hang up my bike by the end of October and hibernate till December. Now, I ride in November, sometimes in shorts. I even continue biking all the way into Thanksgiving for a few years now.

While man made WORD makes December seems “skiable”, people are misled by that and without realizing how much warmer December has become.

deadheadskier

Staff member
2015 was definitely the worst season of my lifetime overall. I just checked Jay's website and they claim 205" on the season, so probably 150. Wildcat got 92" that season. It was brutal all the way through.

Kingslug20

Last seasons start is about the same as this one. Pretty crappy...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I guess my memory doesn't go back that far,... what did 2015 look like in December?

I distinctly remember skiing Mount Snow December 18th-ish for a weekend on an early season deal. Cascade-Canyon, Long John, and Inferno. 2.5 trails. The resorts local to me in CT did not open til early January. I had 1 or 2 off-trail days my entire 50ish day season.

The year before was also a slow start. 2011-2012 as well...? That was the season skiing literally melted down in mid-March. Week of 70 degrees+ in VT/NH/ME and the snow never returned like it did after a similar event President's week 2019.

Yo VT Raps

The trend for Killington's opening day is not good over the recent decades. Once it gets pushed back so that November openings are not happening anymore I think we will see an artificial surface on part of Superstar for year-round action.

cdskier

I can recall numerous crappy starts to the season in the past 10 years alone. I don't think this one is worse than some of the other notable ones that people already mentioned. I also take a lot of photos which helps me remember what a particular season was like. I just looked back at 2015 for example as that was one mentioned in this thread...the photo I have of the base of Sugarbush from just before Christmas that year was absolutely terrible. I always find these "worst" or "best" discussions funny because everyone always seems to forget how bad (or good) previous years really were.

MidnightJester

Well the pattern change is coming with this cross country blizzard this week and the cold is staying for the long term 14-day outlook after it appears. Hopefully snow counts should build with each passing moisture system.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

All it takes is one good storm and that could be this Thurs/Fri....
Possible 12+ Friday but then possible change over over night

as it starts to come into focus, its apparent that its gonna be a tough storm to drive. snow starts thursday, so even getting into position thursday night is tough (and not really possible for me with work, anyway). driving anytime friday looks pretty sketch. driving early saturday may also have uncleared roads. it may be a wait til sat PM and go up to ski sunday sort of weekend. unfortunate, but grateful for the incoming.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The trend for Killington's opening day is not good over the recent decades. Once it gets pushed back so that November openings are not happening anymore I think we will see an artificial surface on part of Superstar for year-round action.

To be fair their philosophy has changed several times over the years. In the 90s you got the stupid early openings because they'd open with one night of snowmaking on a surface of grass, leaves dirt, and ice. Then that ended and they had to open ttb so you had some late openings. Now we have the stairs and they want to open on a decent surface. You can't have 1,500 people riding North Ridge on something that will erode to dirt by 11am each day.

brandt_cant_watch

as it starts to come into focus, its apparent that its gonna be a tough storm to drive. snow starts thursday, so even getting into position thursday night is tough (and not really possible for me with work, anyway). driving anytime friday looks pretty sketch. driving early saturday may also have uncleared roads. it may be a wait til sat PM and go up to ski sunday sort of weekend. unfortunate, but grateful for the incoming.
I'm heading to Killington this weekend. Happy that were getting snow but logistics is a small headache. Lady isnt flexible to leave Thursday, so a late Friday might be the plan. At least I got the winter tires on...