• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

has anyone used shipskis.com or similar services?

KustyTheKlown

i am considering using shipskis.com to get my skis out to jackson next month. i called the hotel and they were pretty damn chill about receiving them for me. I'm flying newark to chicago to slc on american with only 1 hour layover time in chicago. then i land and immediately drive to jackson. so, i am worried about my skis missing the connection and then if they were to arrive late, they prevent me from getting on with going to jackson timely.

since i don't use my pow skis back east i can ship them and a set of poles at the cheapest option and I'll still have skis for home

I'll pack boots and most clothes in my carry on bag.

in theory this sounds good. curious if you all have experience with it? or other providers you might recommend?

coming home is direct and i dont care about flying with the skis coming home.

1674664637224.png

Kingslug20

100 bucks seems ok..I've looked into it..and yes I worry all the time they will lose my skis..but that has happened only once and they showed up back home in a few days.
Just wonder if it's more guaranteed to get there.

DrPeteG

I have used Luggage Free to ship to and from Europe. They get them there on time. FedEx is the actual carrier for them

jaytrem

Might be able to cut down on your price if you use pirateship.com. They have excellent customer service that helps when the post office screws up. They do offer the UPS option, which is probably a wiser choice.

kendo

another vote for Luggage Forward (with service provided by FedEx).

We've used them on trips to Crested Butte & Telluride to ship our ski bags (filled with skis, poles, avi gear and ski clothes) door to door, from home to the resort. Super convenient and worked out great.

Brought my boots in a small backpack that fits under the seat. Street clothes & helmet went into a small roller bag also as carry on.

Ski bags were waiting for us in CB at check in and a return label to ship them back is included. Just dropped the ski bags at the front desk and they were delivered home the next day. Yeh, you may be without skis for a day or two at home depending on the service level, but saves the schlepping. Will use again in March.

jaytrem

Looks like the way to go would be to get a good price from maybe Pirate Ship, then have luggage forward match it and give you $25 off you next shipment. Assuming Pirate Ship is lower.

drjeff

Considered it recently after the fact. I am interested to hear input.

If you have the extra time (often the ground shipping which is typically around 5 days for the best rates from the East Coast to the Rockies) IMHO it's worth the extra $$ and also peace of mind since with the shipper you often have a greater degree of knowledge about where your bag(s) are vs with the airlines at times.

I know when my kids were younger and needed attention while traveling that required more free arms and/or physical carrying capacity from my wife and I, we would often ship not just our ski bags, but also our boot bags via FedEx right to where we were staying and then back to our house on the return trip which gave my wife and I the ability to better help assist our kids during travel, but also often allowed us to rent a smaller sized vehicle once we arrived as we didn't have the volume of bags between our regular suitcases as well as all of our ski gear. Essentially I could rent a mid sized SUV rather than a full sized SUV and still be able to get all of our bags to/from the airport.

I've now also started to do the same basic thing when I am traveling to warm weather destinations with my golf clubs, as just like with my ski gear, I want to make sure that they are where I am going to, when I get there so that I can use them on my vacation

KustyTheKlown

If you have the extra time (often the ground shipping which is typically around 5 days for the best rates from the East Coast to the Rockies) IMHO it's worth the extra $$ and also peace of mind since with the shipper you often have a greater degree of knowledge about where your bag(s) are vs with the airlines at times.

I know when my kids were younger and needed attention while traveling that required more free arms and/or physical carrying capacity from my wife and I, we would often ship not just our ski bags, but also our boot bags via FedEx right to where we were staying and then back to our house on the return trip which gave my wife and I the ability to better help assist our kids during travel, but also often allowed us to rent a smaller sized vehicle once we arrived as we didn't have the volume of bags between our regular suitcases as well as all of our ski gear. Essentially I could rent a mid sized SUV rather than a full sized SUV and still be able to get all of our bags to/from the airport.

I've now also started to do the same basic thing when I am traveling to warm weather destinations with my golf clubs, as just like with my ski gear, I want to make sure that they are where I am going to, when I get there so that I can use them on my vacation

yea shipskis.com seems to do golf clubs too.

the tight layover in Chicago has me at about 99% going this route for the way out to ut

KustyTheKlown

another vote for Luggage Forward (with service provided by FedEx).

We've used them on trips to Crested Butte & Telluride to ship our ski bags (filled with skis, poles, avi gear and ski clothes) door to door, from home to the resort. Super convenient and worked out great.

Brought my boots in a small backpack that fits under the seat. Street clothes & helmet went into a small roller bag also as carry on.

Ski bags were waiting for us in CB at check in and a return label to ship them back is included. Just dropped the ski bags at the front desk and they were delivered home the next day. Yeh, you may be without skis for a day or two at home depending on the service level, but saves the schlepping. Will use again in March.

just booked with luggage forward on your rec. thanks for the tip. i like using a service someone has actually used. 'shipskis.com' came at me in an instagram ad or something.

luggage forward was $139 for 5 day shipping with $1500 declared value, pick up at my apt, arriving the day before i do to my hotel in jackson. i am gonna fill the bag with skis and poles and non-ski clothes/shoes. i'll fill my carry on bag with my ski boots and at least 2 days worth of ski clothes. so worst case i end up wearing smelly ski clothes and renting skis if the ski bag somehow disappears.

crystalmountainskier

Why not fly Newark to SLC nonstop? There are flights every day on Delta and United. A one hour connection after a flight from the least on time airport in America is asking for trouble. Also FYI most days United flies nonstop Newark to Jackson.

KustyTheKlown

Because direct flights were all >$1000 and the connection flight was $450. Flight out of Newark is 5 AM so at least im the beginning of the days routes.It’s direct coming back.

And I don’t want to fly to Jackson.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Because I am not only going to Jackson. I am skiing at Alta, Snowbird, PowMow, Snowbasin, Jackson, and Sun Valley on this trip and wanted to fly thru SLC where I have the best turo options.

I land in SLC and drive to Jackson the first day. The skis will be waiting for me. I eventually end the trip in SLC and fly home direct from SLC