• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

has anyone used shipskis.com or similar services?

MidnightJester

Was thinking of Shipskis.com but they wanted nearly 100 each way for both my snowboard bags together

So just finished my trip to Lake Tahoe with "American Airlines". Flew with carry on and backpack for clothes and things. Had a 1 stop layover is Dallas also on American Airlines both ways.

out of JFK I paid ($30 for 1"43lb" snowboard bag and 1 boot bag packed 20lbs+) they charged a additional $4@bag for side walk baggage handler. so $30+4+4=$38 plus tip

out of Reno I paid ($30 for 1"43lb" snowboard bag and 1 boot bag packed 20lbs+) they charged a additional $3@bag for side walk baggage handler so $30+3 =$33 plus tip they didn't apply the sidewalk fee to the 2 bags but as 1.

KustyTheKlown

Something I haven’t encountered befoe on my trip to Jackson last week via the direct from EWR.

A bunch of people on the flight had their ski bags come later that day/night/next day because there were too many ski bags and too much weight for the hold.

I think most came on a later non direct flight through Denver, but they didn’t get them until the next day.

From the conversations, it certainly sounded like many had been at the airport plenty early before the flight, so not sure how the airline decided what bags to leave off. Fortunately my bag made the cut.

yea fuck that noise 100%. i am landing in SLC and immediately driving to jackson, so a delayed bag seriously changes my whole situation.

the bag was picked up smoothly from my apartment yesterday. the tracking shows it comfortably on its way. i called the hotel today to alert them to it arriving one or two days before me and they couldn't have been more chill and casual about it. they seem to deal with this scenario a lot. so far i am very pleased with the value for $. also allowed me to book the smallest cheapest car for the airport - used local car service because hailing ubers at 3:30 am can be hit or miss by me.

Last edited:

heiusa

Flying direct recently I paid $50 to check my ski bag with Delta. If I ever have connecting flights, I’ll consider this.
That's strange, I just flew with Delta, JFK to Denver and paid $30 for my suitcase and $40 for my ski bag and boot bag combo.

NYDB

Something I haven’t encountered befoe on my trip to Jackson last week via the direct from EWR.

A bunch of people on the flight had their ski bags come later that day/night/next day because there were too many ski bags and too much weight for the hold.

I think most came on a later non direct flight through Denver, but they didn’t get them until the next day.

From the conversations, it certainly sounded like many had been at the airport plenty early before the flight, so not sure how the airline decided what bags to leave off. Fortunately my bag made the cut.
I’m taking this flight next Sunday AM and if my board bag doesn’t make it I’m not going to be a happy camper. I’m landing at 12 and hope to get a few afternoon laps in.

jaytrem

My success rate with Delta and checked skis is 100%. United not so much.
I'm very glad I have Delta to Utah and United home. Won't care so much if they lose my stuff coming home. Would have been Delta both ways, but they killed the SLC-> Newark red eye. Alaska always seems to go very well. Air Canada did manage to rip a binding off my sister's skis. Would love to know how they managed that. At least that was on the way home. Then again she tore her ACL on the first day, so it might have been better if they broke the ski on the way out.

SnowRock

I’m taking this flight next Sunday AM and if my board bag doesn’t make it I’m not going to be a happy camper. I’m landing at 12 and hope to get a few afternoon laps in.
First time I’ve seen/heard it happening and I’ve done the flight quite a few times over the years. Can definitely hustle and get in a few laps either in town at snow king or the resort.

BodeMiller1

I mailed skis to Eugene, OR. Fed X.
No problems except there were complaints the skis were too long. Not from Fed Ex.

BodeMiller1

Being able to track packages is the best thing since the yellow fist down overlay in football.
Seriously, it's cool that you're skiing all over the place.