• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Fwiw, privates are for the coach, not the number of people in the group.
Most group lessons have only 1 or 2 in the group, especially higher levels, midweek usually just one. Midweek group is only $120 pp for 2 hours. If you wanted to your coach could take you in SB and get two good runs in. (I work Mo and Tu, lol)

My problem is I'm solo so don't have anyone I regularly ski with to share a private lesson with.

As for group, do they still do higher levels for group lessons? The SB website last time I looked seemed to indicate that group was now only for beginner/intermediate levels and anything beyond that you could only do in a private lesson now.

HowieT2

I really thought they were going to replace heavens gate or NRX this summer. Oh well.

WinS

When Win was in charge a groomed steins was one of his favorite run I remember. That is why it got goomed frequently. Actually I skied it yesterday and the skiers right edge was really good. Snow was soft with mostly packed powder. I am not a fan of when they groom it mid season. It only takes a couple of days and then it is a sheet of ice. There are plenty of groomed runs. I say leave it alone.
it was a favorite indeed but that’s not why it was groomed. You really have to pick the right time to groom it. The first groom is a lot of work. It takes two full shifts and then likely another the next night. If there is not natural snow afterwards or additional snowmaking it needs grooming with a winch cat every night or it gets unsafe. Winching it every night takes the winch away from other trails. It was my favorite when groomed and a fresh 6-8” pm top. I have not skied Stein’s in a few days, but like Hawk I have enjoyed skiing it but not recently on top of the whales. Were I still in charge I would be pushing for a groom tonight. Maybe just down the middle and leaving moguls on the sides. Looking forward tomorrow morning on it no matter what happens.

WinS

I know it is nitpicking, but as someone who knew Joe Riemer, it's a bummer to see them misspell his name for the past week....it isn't that hard to get it right.

That being said, the skiing is the bomb today.
Was that on the snow report? I did not notice?

WinS

He wasn't 100% sure, but those are the ones he thought it was. Makes sense if it was those 4 planned for replacement in the not too distant future.
I am sure Sugarbush will let all know the plans when finalized. Our long-term plan had HG, NR, Bravo as the first three. GMX has a new drive and with proper maintenance has a longer life. So far as I can tell Alterra is supporting what we had planned prior to the sale. They have already stepped up big on snowmaking with more to come. You can now see from the Bravo and GH chairs where the new traverse from Valley House to HG will be with snowmaking all the way.

cdskier

8" so far at the allyns stake and it is abolutely dumping right now. I think we are over achieving so far at least from what the NWS predicted. They were saying 3-5 over night.

Josh Fox in one of his tweets later yesterday said he was expecting 1-2 feet on the mountains in the MRV based on the latest model data from yesterday afternoon. I think he's going to end up being right.

djd66

incredible difference from where we were in January,... Finally having a decent March!

djd66

Great problem to have,... can someone clean off the Summit camera? :LOL:

1678801805687.png

jimmck

Yep 😕

1 and done, for now. That 1 was great. Easily over a foot at the junction of Downspout/Organgrinder.

Attachments

• PXL_20230314_131117818.jpg
    PXL_20230314_131117818.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230314_130522751.jpg
    PXL_20230314_130522751.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited: