• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Snow report said GH and ME open to skinning to Mid and Bravo running on Aux power so loading every other chair. I always have little to no expectations of skiing with nor'easters mostly because of the high winds.

cdskier

Snow report said GH and ME open to skinning to Mid and Bravo running on Aux power so loading every other chair. I always have little to no expectations of skiing with nor'easters mostly because of the high winds.

Just was about to post basically the same thing. Interesting about Bravo running on Aux power. I didn't know that was an option... Does Super Bravo have 3 engines? Or are they running on the 1 diesel and using the electric as their "backup" in this case? I know GMX has 3 engines, so I would have expected that to be the one they used for a scenario like this.

KustyTheKlown

i took a legit sick day yesterday. had the shits. barely slept. kind of ruins my ability to do it tomorrow. oh well. leftovers this weekend.

Hawk

The thing you always neglect to understand is that the forum consists of all kinds of skier. They are all not all "top" sliders like yourself so maybe things might be a little tougher for them. In genreal those of us that really like to ski in the woods don't go sending the general public into anywhere. People tend to get hurt. Just a thought.

mikec142

i don't get why you would hire a guide for slidebrook. seems like a real jerry trap to me. do the guides just take you into doors 1, 2, and 3?
I guess I'll respond to this as I am the original poster. Couple of reasons why I'd be happy to hire a guide and/or hesitant to venture into Slidebrook on my own without enough knowledge.

1. The obvious issue is I could get lost. It's like 2000 acres or something. I have zero point zero desire to find myself in a position where I have to take my skis off and hike out.

2. Considering I've only read about doors 1,2, and 3, I'd be pretty psyched just to learn what type of terrain they lead to.

3. I could get hurt and would like to have someone with me who would know what to do.

4. Maybe learning about the three doors would give me the confidence to try some more off the beaten path stuff.

5. I consider myself a good skier. Certainly good enough to get down 99.9% of the inbounds stuff at Sugarbush. However, I wouldn't exactly call myself an outdoorsman. I'm not skinning or touring. Frankly I think the hike from Heaven's Gate to Castlerock kinda sucks. So the idea of blindly going off piste with no idea of what I'm facing sounds like a bad idea to me.

I'm sure I could come up with a dozen more reasons.

Side note, around 35+ years ago (pre cell phone), I was skiing with a friend at Stowe. We had flown up to BTV from NJ and were staying with my Uncle. He drove us to the mountain each morning and would hang out in the lodge while we skied all day. Towards the end of the day, we were heading down the mountain and my buddy saw a couple of sets of tracks leading off the trail into the woods. We decided we would follow them as assumed it would be a fun adventure. This was before resorts maintained their gladed areas. After a while, we realized that we were lost and no where near the trail we had left. The snow was deep and we were forced to take off our skis and post hole every step forward. It was also getting darker at that point. Eventually after an hour or so of wandering around, we ended up a mile or two down the access road in someone's backyard. We knocked on the door and the guy kindly put our gear in the back of his pickup and drove us back up to the lodge where we tapped my uncle on the shoulder from behind at around 5:30pm. I'm sure he was out of his mind with worry. We laughed about it afterwards, but when it was happening, it wasn't that funny, especially as 15 year old kids.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

that is all valid and i dont question your decision tho its not one id make the same for myself. but one point of clarification is that slide brook is a drainage basin. all roads lead to the road, so to speak. very hard to 'get lost'

mikec142

that is all valid and i dont question your decision tho its not one id make the same for myself. but one point of clarification is that slide brook is a drainage basin. all roads lead to the road, so to speak. very hard to 'get lost'
That's fair.

I've ridden the lift over it enough now that I have some ideas of what to expect. But a few things:

1. I've read you shouldn't start heading downhill until you've traversed across the slidebrook lift line. How would I even know that if I hadn't done some research.

2. Lets say I got in there and skied down far enough to reach the creek at the bottom. How would I know that you had to turn off onto one of the snowmobile paths before you got to the creek. Now I'm at the creek and hiking back to one of the paths to get out.

3. I think you underestimate my ability to get lost. ;)

4. I think the cost of hiring an instructor or the effort of finding a knowledgeable friend is well worth it to protect against what could be a pretty serious downside.

5. Over the past few seasons I've had a few nicks and bruises that ended my ski day. I'd be really bummed if one of those happened and I had to hike out of non-lift served territory because there was no one with me.

6. I have no idea, but is it possible to find yourself just a little off course and get cliffed out?

Last edited:

mikec142

So basically the majority of the top of the mountain has been closed with HG, NL, NRX, and Summit on hold today. I'm guessing that there will be a ton of untracked stuff just waiting. If you were first chair tomorrow, where would you head first? What would your plan of attack be?

Castlerock has been running so even though there have been free refills, it might not be as pristine as the other places.