• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

bigbob

Could never understand why the state of Maine never built a divided highway from the turnpike up into the Rt. 2 corridor. Easier access into the Bethel, Rumford, Farmington, Rangeley region would be am economic boost to some fairly depressed areas.
Maine has made some major improvements to Rt 26 over the years, but it would be nice to have a 4 lane with limited access.

Hawk

Nope I have not been in there in a couple of years. Years back we did a bunch of maintenece in there but that was in the 90's LOL

KustyTheKlown

i saw people climbing the other day from the top of jordan to the top of oz, and i thought to myself 'that seems dumb and not worth the effort to ski the top 200 feet from oz'. were those people actually going somewhere more interesting (B zone)? i presume it naturally circles you back around the front so you don't get wilderness'd?

machski

i saw people climbing the other day from the top of jordan to the top of oz, and i thought to myself 'that seems dumb and not worth the effort to ski the top 200 feet from oz'. were those people actually going somewhere more interesting (B zone)? i presume it naturally circles you back around the front so you don't get wilderness'd?
Nope, it bottoms out on the backside, no way to circle around.

machski

Nope I have not been in there in a couple of years. Years back we did a bunch of maintenece in there but that was in the 90's LOL
I wanted to go in last summer and clean up so e of the deadfall but honored the mountain's request to keep our due to all the construction on Jordan and Kansas.

KustyTheKlown

Nope, it bottoms out on the backside, no way to circle around.

so were these guys (who looked like bozos, not like guys who knew where they were going) likely just hiking to ski the untracked top 200 feet onto kansas? if so, lol.

Hawk

Sometimes people go up there and hang out and drink and smoke. if you go out past the lift there is an open spot with a sunny view of the back side.

Zand

Lived in Gilead for years so 93 was the best Rt from Concord MA. That way sucks IF the weather is acting up. The Notch, and Rt 115 are iffy at best.

Prefer 95 then the back way to 302 Then Rt 35. Way less traffic, Dinner at Tut's
My in-laws live in Woburn right by the 128/93 intersection and I've done many SR trips from there. Usually takes 2:45 in good conditions. According to Google, the 93/2 route takes 3:15 so you'd really have to fly to make up 30 mins on 93.

26 in Maine usually flows pretty good except those couple of stoplights in the Norway/South Paris stretch. Ive taken the 302/35 route which seemed to go quicker but i didn't really time it. Just remember 35 being super bumpy but nothing compared to Burma Road up to Rangeley!

Granite1

My in-laws live in Woburn right by the 128/93 intersection and I've done many SR trips from there. Usually takes 2:45 in good conditions. According to Google, the 93/2 route takes 3:15 so you'd really have to fly to make up 30 mins on 93.

26 in Maine usually flows pretty good except those couple of stoplights in the Norway/South Paris stretch. Ive taken the 302/35 route which seemed to go quicker but i didn't really time it. Just remember 35 being super bumpy but nothing compared to Burma Road up to Rangeley!
When I did the comparison-just typing in Woburn as a start point, it was a 20 minute difference. Route 26 is the most boring drive in ski country. If they ever build that road in Gilead to Jordan, it would take 15-20 minutes off the drive from the west?

thebigo

Best I can find is maybe 1000' drop. With a lollapalooza style green on the skiers left, blind ambition type trees between the lift and green would hold snow well. Then maybe a short connector and some trees between lollapalooza and the lift. Looks like a short green would return from the top of the lift to Kansas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_160152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_160152_Gallery.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 31

Razor

Maine has made some major improvements to Rt 26 over the years, but it would be nice to have a 4 lane with limited access.
For sure! I can remember back in the old days you could get behind a truck and stay there all the way to the turnpike.

Andrew B.

so were these guys (who looked like bozos, not like guys who knew where they were going) likely just hiking to ski the untracked top 200 feet onto kansas? if so, lol.
Some folks do ski down and either skin out to the road or skin back up.

My bet is the guys you saw were looking for a quiet place to transition and enjoy a beer and a smoke.

machski

Some folks do ski down and either skin out to the road or skin back up.

My bet is the guys you saw were looking for a quiet place to transition and enjoy a beer and a smoke.
Most of what you describe that I'm aware of leaves off the back of Barker/Locke/Whitecap. Don't know many that have done so off back of Oz.