• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I looked at a topo map of the area and was hard pressed to find 2k of vertical. No one's driving to Dixville for another Boring Woods. He better have some steeps or it's a waste of $$.
NH has 48 4000+ ft. summits, and 22 5000+ ft. summits. Why can't someone build a ski area of one of those 5000 foot plus mountains?

Last edited:

machski

I looked at a topo map of the area and was hard pressed to find 2k of vertical. No one's driving to Dixville for another Boring Woods. He better have some steeps or it's a waste of $$.
NH has 48 4000+ ft. summits, and 22 5000+ ft. summits. Why can't someone build a ski area of one of those 5000 foot plus mountains?
Ever been up any of those in winter? Not very hospitable on many days and doubt many lifts could run all that often in the alpine on those. That is why.

KustyTheKlown

lol dumb post is dumb. not surprising considering the source.

thebigo

Ever been up any of those in winter? Not very hospitable on many days and doubt many lifts could run all that often in the alpine on those. That is why.
True but a late spring/summer surface lift on the east snowfields sure would be fun, an eastern beartooth.

Hawk

There are 6 peaks in NH that are above 5,000 Feet. Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Maddison, LaFayette and of course Washington. NY there is Mount Marcy and Algonquin Peak and there is Kahtadin in ME. That is it for the Northeast.

thebigo

There are 6 peaks in NH that are above 5,000 Feet. Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Maddison, LaFayette and of course Washington. NY there is Mount Marcy and Algonquin Peak and there is Kahtadin in ME. That is it for the Northeast.
you missed lincoln

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why I suggested the Pliny Range instead of the more extreme mountains is I assume less severe wind. It's a several mile long range of peaks between 3500 and 4k feet. It kinda reminds me of the range Sugarbush is on. Close proximity to Lancaster for services. It really would have been one of the better ranges in NH and all of New England for a ski resort.

hardscrabble

Why I suggested the Pliny Range instead of the more extreme mountains is I assume less severe wind. It's a several mile long range of peaks between 3500 and 4k feet. It kinda reminds me of the range Sugarbush is on. Close proximity to Lancaster for services. It really would have been one of the better ranges in NH and all of New England for a ski resort.

There were once some pretty ambitious plans for a ski resort on the north face of the Starr King/Waumbek ridge.

kbroderick

He's talking out his ass. No major ski area development in New England in 20+ years and Les thinks he can build a 1,000 acre mega resort. Gimmie a break.
I'm pretty sure S-K-I Ltd folks thought the same when he bought Sunday River.

True but a late spring/summer surface lift on the east snowfields sure would be fun, an eastern beartooth.
I don't think you could pull off a Beartooth Basin here, as much as I'd love to be able to lap the snowfields via surface lift. Things are a bit different at 10,000 feet in Wyoming than they are around here, and critically 212 gets cleared a lot more efficiently than the Auto Road.

Hawk

Why I suggested the Pliny Range instead of the more extreme mountains is I assume less severe wind. It's a several mile long range of peaks between 3500 and 4k feet. It kinda reminds me of the range Sugarbush is on. Close proximity to Lancaster for services. It really would have been one of the better ranges in NH and all of New England for a ski resort
You know every time I did the Route 2 shuffle from VT to Sunday River I looked at those mountains and thought they would be cool to explore. That whole ridge down into Kilkenny is North facing and has some very steep areas. That would have been a really great area. Too bad.

Newpylong

Yes, no one drives to Bretton Woods, except everyone from Massachusetts who doesn't get off 93 at Campton or Lincoln that is...

Hawk

So other that Mad River Glenn and Stowe, where do you find 2K of steeper skiing from a lift?
White Heat 1300 and the bottom/top 1/3 is prety flat.
Outer Limits 1200
Steins Run 1100
Superstar 1200
Anything at Sugarloaf......Fagetaboutit

There are 1200' sections of steeper skiing in that complex he is developing. the huttington falls area and the area near the existing wind mills is at least that.

2planks2coasts

Yes, no one drives to Bretton Woods, except everyone from Massachusetts who doesn't get off 93 at Campton or Lincoln that is...
Yep. Further, the clientele that Otten is targeting is all about the Bretton Woods type experience. Buffed and polished cruisers.

KustyTheKlown

So other that Mad River Glenn and Stowe, where do you find 2K of steeper skiing from a lift?
White Heat 1300 and the bottom/top 1/3 is prety flat.
Outer Limits 1200
Steins Run 1100
Superstar 1200
Anything at Sugarloaf......Fagetaboutit

There are 1200' sections of steeper skiing in that complex he is developing. the huttington falls area and the area near the existing wind mills is at least that.

DJs, Madonna liftline, top of jay chutes to quai or Valhalla into powerline