• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

Have plans to drive up to BTV on Thursday and ski at Sugarbush on Friday & Saturday with the family. If it was just me, there wouldn't even be a question. Be honest, what do you think the conditions will be? I get that there's not going to be new snow and I'm cool with sticking to the groomers. What I'm nervous about is the potential for warm wet weather on Thursday and then it get cold overnight and I wake up to ski Friday on a sheet of ice across the entire mountain. 5.5 hours each direction in the car for marginal skiing is one thing, for miserable, dangerous skiing, that's a whole other story.
This looks more promising:
(3100’)

KustyTheKlown

Have plans to drive up to BTV on Thursday and ski at Sugarbush on Friday & Saturday with the family. If it was just me, there wouldn't even be a question. Be honest, what do you think the conditions will be? I get that there's not going to be new snow and I'm cool with sticking to the groomers. What I'm nervous about is the potential for warm wet weather on Thursday and then it get cold overnight and I wake up to ski Friday on a sheet of ice across the entire mountain. 5.5 hours each direction in the car for marginal skiing is one thing, for miserable, dangerous skiing, that's a whole other story.

i have essentially the same plan. i am going to go early tomorrow and try to grab a few hours at stratton before rain (i hope), and then on to btv. 1dog's forecast link is encouraging. i was also just considering pivoting back to maine because the most recent models show more chance for more snow there. but i think btv and sugabush stratton killington is the move.

Lotso

Gonna take a big hit before things get coldish on Friday. Hope things hold up. I hate the XMas week meltdown, but it happens just about every year, it seems.

JEEPSKIBUM

I bailed on VT and am enroute to Steamboat. Quebec was my original backup plan if we got a big melt bit they got hit too.

cdskier

Well I finally made it up to my condo. Hopefully I can get at least some sort of skiing in the next few days before I drive back to NJ likely on Sunday. Need to at least start to get the legs used to skiing again!

Lotso

Well...ski in the rain..at least it ain't ice..
Guess this is something we will have to get used to more and more..
Yep, though I am hard-pressed to recall a XMas week without a significant meltdown shortly before or during the holiday period. I feel for placeslike MRG and Magic, not to mention the little places like NE Slopes.

HowieT2

im no fan of skiing in the rain but at least the snow is soft and turns are fun. hopefully the colder temps arrive with some fresh snow.

cdskier

Got my first turns in...about 12K vert by 10:30 is good enough for me on the first day.

Snow conditions themselves were nice, although I was surprised how many thin/bare spots there were on some of the trails they made snow on. They have a long way to go with snowmaking once it gets cold again.

Lotso

Got my first turns in...about 12K vert by 10:30 is good enough for me on the first day.

Snow conditions themselves were nice, although I was surprised how many thin/bare spots there were on some of the trails they made snow on. They have a long way to go with snowmaking once it gets cold again.
Agreed. Fingers crossed the boney spots don't grow too much before freeze reappears Friday...

ducky

New seafood restaurant on Bridge St owned by Joey Nagy from Mad Taco. Here's the post:
We're excited to announce a new restaurant on Bridge Street in Waitsfield, in the former Peasant space. We're open Thursday through Monday 4-9pm and serve creative, shareable dishes inspired by cuisines from all over the world. We encourage our guests to bring friends, eat, imbibe, laugh and repeat. To see a sample menu go to scragandroe.com. No reservations.

Also, Mad Bush Falls is open 7 days a week and brunch on the weekends. He's s Stowe guy but other than that, pretty nice.

Last edited:

cdskier

New seafood restaurant on Bridge St owned by Joey Nagy from Mad Taco. Here's the post:
We're excited to announce a new restaurant on Bridge Street in Waitsfield, in the former Peasant space. We're open Thursday through Monday 4-9pm and serve creative, shareable dishes inspired by cuisines from all over the world. We encourage our guests to bring friends, eat, imbibe, laugh and repeat. To see a sample menu go to scragandroe.com. No reservations.

I don't understand not doing reservations in a small space like that...

drjeff

I don't understand not doing reservations in a small space like that...
I heard from a patient of mine, who owns a few restuarants, including 1 that is 10 tables at most (might even be more like 7 or 8 tables). He takes reservations at the larger places (all 30+ tables) but not at the small location, because the percentage of no shows on reservations is higher than one likely would think, and to loose a table or 2 at the small place because of a no show is something that he said would be noticed on the bottom line, let alone to the server expecting tip income from every table in a small place, especially if it happens a few times on a typically busy night. I can see that side of it if that is the reality

cdskier

I heard from a patient of mine, who owns a few restuarants, including 1 that is 10 tables at most (might even be more like 7 or 8 tables). He takes reservations at the larger places (all 30+ tables) but not at the small location, because the percentage of no shows on reservations is higher than one likely would think, and to loose a table or 2 at the small place because of a no show is something that he said would be noticed on the bottom line, let alone to the server expecting tip income from every table in a small place, especially if it happens a few times on a typically busy night. I can see that side of it if that is the reality

That's fine...but I'm not going to drive 20 minutes to go somewhere to eat and find out they have no tables available and I'm going to have to wait an hour before one will open up... That model works in a faster high turnover type restaurant (i.e. burgers, pub food, etc), but for a place that is aiming to be more high end, not knowing if I'll even be able to get a table is not relaxing or enoyable and I'd rather stay home and cook myself.

I know the former owner of this particular space and I know no shows pissed him off to no end when they did happen, but he also regularly still had all tables full and no shows were more of an exception.

Meanwhile I see 1824 House switched to accepting reservations this winter, so that's a plus and I'll put them on my list for this winter...

oldfartrider

I don’t know if it works in waitsfield but around where I live I’ll check google maps and it gives an idea of how busy a restaurant is real time

ducky

That's fine...but I'm not going to drive 20 minutes to go somewhere to eat and find out they have no tables available and I'm going to have to wait an hour before one will open up... That model works in a faster high turnover type restaurant (i.e. burgers, pub food, etc), but for a place that is aiming to be more high end, not knowing if I'll even be able to get a table is not relaxing or enoyable and I'd rather stay home and cook myself.

I know the former owner of this particular space and I know no shows pissed him off to no end when they did happen, but he also regularly still had all tables full and no shows were more of an exception.

Meanwhile I see 1824 House switched to accepting reservations this winter, so that's a plus and I'll put them on my list for this winter...
Gotta find a complaint in a new restaurant opening?

ducky

Sorry...I didn't get the memo that opinions weren't allowed about new restaurants...
You've been complaining there aren't enough places to eat and driving to Waterbury is too far. Perhaps an opinion after you try it and see what the wait's like?

I have to imagine many people here are actually happy there are two more restaurants in town.

Last edited: