• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Climbing (on a bike)

Bike Hill Climbs

• Love to climb

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Hate them

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • These poll options suck, so none of the above

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
I do get some sort of sick, masochistic pleasure from climbing.

I'm starting to get this. Smoothing out a long climb is oddly exhilarating.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm starting to get this. Smoothing out a long climb is oddly exhilarating.

I will get that stupid fat kid climb eventually, and when I do it's gonna be SWEET!

I keep getting stuck on that stupid rock, I'll get my front tire over it no problem, but then I hit a pedal on it trying to get the rest of the way over... :smash:

Greg

Staff member
I will get that stupid fat kid climb eventually, and when I do it's gonna be SWEET!

I keep getting stuck on that stupid rock, I'll get my front tire over it no problem, but then I hit a pedal on it trying to get the rest of the way over... :smash:

Stay towards the right third of it. Session it a bit next time.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You know what the irony is in my situation... I'm really not a born, gifted, talented or even 'half-decent' climber. And yet I still like it. The endorphin effect is still up in the air from what I last read, but something is making me like it.

It probably helps I ride alone and don't have the deflating effect of stronger riders blowing by me like I'm standing still.

bvibert

Staff member
It probably helps I ride alone and don't have the deflating effect of stronger riders blowing by me like I'm standing still.

That's just more incentive to ride even harder. :D

I'm no great climber, but I enjoy it just the same. :beer:

abc

I'm interested to hear the roadies take on this too...
Is this a roadies forum or what? Climb-lovers dominates!

I ENJOY climbing on a road bike. But not so much on mountain bike. Compare to climbing on smooth pavement, I can't seem to get into any sort of rithym off-road.

So for off-road, I climb to get to the top so I can go downhill. I suppose I enjoy the downhill on the road too. But that pales compare to technical downhills.

Though come to think of it, I do get a kick out of the challenging kind of off-road climbing. The more technical and steeper, the better. Fire road climbs, on the other hand, bores me.

So I guess I enjoy the two extremes, smooth long climb on road, or rough climb off-road. Just not the in-between climbs that doesn't get anywhere fast. Still, I'll happily do it just to get to the good downhills. Can't figure out what to vote...

AdironRider

Climbing blows. Car shuttling kicks ass. And to those who think that downhill is all balls and no skill, you're clearly not challenging yourself or riding hard lines on the downhill.

That being said it does keep my lungs relatively ready for the BC in the winter, and it keeps me functioning despite my nasty cig habit. So I dont really care either way.

Greg

Staff member
Ha! That's what I thought when I read Greg's post. :lol: Srsly.

Newsflash guys - I first started hiking/backpacking 23 years ago. Haven't done much of it the past few years, but I know all about the endorphin rush and whatnot. I totally get the appeal of turn earning and if I was positioned better geographically to do it, I'd probably be really into it. For now I prefer the descent most.

Climbing blows. Car shuttling kicks ass. And to those who think that downhill is all balls and no skill, you're clearly not challenging yourself or riding hard lines on the downhill.

That being said it does keep my lungs relatively ready for the BC in the winter, and it keeps me functioning despite my nasty cig habit. So I dont really care either way.

quit the cigs before you become a customer of mine..:lol:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
If you quit the cigs you might find you enjoy the up as much as the down. I like smokers though...they're easy to beat to the freshies...;)

Greg

Staff member
Did almost 5K' of climbing on today's MTB ride. It just keeps getting easier. Not easy, just easier. :lol:

mlctvt

My wife and I did a bit of climbing on Sunday's ride Tour De Kingdom organized ride
starting and ending in Newport VT
104 Miles, 5670 vertical.
Three sizable climbs; a 4 mile hill to Lowell, about 5 miles up Jay from the east side and a 7 mile climb west to east on Route 105.
This ride reviled the climbs we've done in Colorado! Eastern hills are a bit steeper but shorter than the Rockies.

Maybe we’ll try next months Climb to the Clouds Century that has a total of 7600 vertical feet of climbing

awf170

Did almost 5K' of climbing on today's MTB ride. It just keeps getting easier. Not easy, just easier. :lol:

Lets try to crack 10K barrier. I would make the trip down to Nass if you're willing to give that a shot.

I really want to crack the 10K barrier hiking next winter so it would be really cool to do a summer biking version then the winter skiing one.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
The J challenge used to be a 70 mile MtB with something crazy like 14,000 vert. Big J did it i think. Freaky. I think 5000 vert is a very respectable workout no matter what your gear is. Skis, Bike, Hike, that's a pretty good up. Greg, you're ready for the Vermont MTB fest.!