• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2009: Tim Boyd, Peak Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Tim Boyd, of President of Peak Resorts has agreed to participate in the 2009 AlpineZone Ski area Challenge! This is your opportunity to ask questions, offer suggestions, or say some praise to the men and women who are in charge of the Northeast's ski areas. Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official response.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. In order to get in all of the questions we MAY merge some questions but we'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the feedback threads.

As always, please be respectful of Mr. Boyd and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Tim obviously needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

Mount Snow Profile

Crotched Profile

Jack Frost Profile

Big Boulder Profile

midd

Any reason Attitash isn't included on the list?

Regarding Attitash, any plans to upgrade/update the Summit Triple?

drjeff

Mount Snow?? Now that Haystack is opening (or atleast attempting to) how will this affect (if at all) the water you're drawing from Haystack this year? (and down the road if approval for The West Lake project doesn't come through?) On a similar note, what's the state of the permitting process for West lake currently?? Thanks for taking the AZ challenge!

Puck it

Why is your fan card only good at Mt Snow? Okemo and Mt Sunapee Flex card can used at either. I sent an email last year asking this and got no response. This would be a great product to offer to people. Combined with Mt Snow, Attitash and Crotched, I would probably buy one.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I forget where I read it, perhaps here on a prior Challenge and also perhaps before your tenure at Attitash; that long term plans were to develop the terrain between Attishtash proper and Bear Creek.

Does the mountain have the permits to develop this terrain, is it still on the table and if so, what sort of time frame could we expect this project to begin in.

From aerial photos it would appear that there would be better advanced terrain than currently exists at Attitash and that the mountain could significantly increase it's vertical drop.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
jesse. Ken. Eliah... everyone I meet at mount snow is the most enthusiastic person about skiing and riding i've ever met. from the guys who are in upper management right down to the kid who made me a killer breakfast standwhich at Carinthia last April. Does that trickle down from the top? Do you / Have you seen or implimented a culture of pure winter stoke? care to share your favorite aspects?

tcharron

Any comments on the future of Crotched Mountain? Since the Mt Snow/Attitash purchase, I've really gotten the feeling that Crotched is kinda on their own now. There used to be allot of excitement over revving up THEIR snowguns, but now it's pretty half hazard. I have some pictures in my gallery of them blasting pretty much every single gun, and opening within 3 days.

Add to that the 'Future Expansion' trails up top which are now labeled 'Natural Trails'. Two years ago we thought we'd at least get a surface lift up to the top (the old surface lift from YEARS ago still had poles up).

Business there hurting that bad?

EPB

Are there any plans to develop beyond Saco at Attitash to open up more terrain for a potential summit high speed quad? Are there any plans to cut new runs or glades within the existing boundaries? There seems to be a lot of terrain between runs on Bear Peak that could produce nice lines. Why are there no glades at Attitash? Any plans to upgrade the double doubles? Are there plans to remove the old Top Notch Double (i hope not).

Thanks

tcharron

Any insight on the 'Long Range Plans' for Peak? Will you be going after additional acquisitions? Plans to increase your existing base?

MWV

At this years condo association meeting at Attitash, a marketing representative from Attitash opened his briefing by commenting: "I want to dispell the rumor that Attitash is for sale". Seemed to be a strange comment as no one at the meeting had heard that rumor, at least not this year. We are all hoping that it isn't true. Anyway, we want to thank you for the investment in snowmaking last year. The snow fans have made a huge difference on this mountain, but wonder, will there be future investment in the mountain (more fans, more trails, quad lifts) as we have seen at Mt Snow? A discussion that ofter comes up is did Peak buy Attitash as a viable business investment or was it necessary baggage in securing the Mt Snow deal. Is your strategy to improve Attitash like Mt Snow? What is the fate of Attitash under Peak?

Concerned property owner

Last edited:

vcunning

Tim, with your first anniversary approaching of the "All Park Mountain Face" at Carinthia as well as some of the earlier experience you've enjoyed at Big Boulder, can you comment on Peak's future plans in these areas?

Vinny

The changes at Corinthia are terrific for everyone. We definitely are going in the right direction, and the infrastructure improvements benefit everyone.

There still are many, albeit perhaps an aging "many", who don't hit the parks and stay on the main mountain. Are there any upgrades (both short and long term) in the works for us? It's a little unsettling being on the side of the slower growth end of the sport. You have to put your money where the growth is, but I'm hoping we don't get completely left behind.

Newpylong

Taking a step back and looking at Mount Snow, I think the two things need to happen next are:

1) new lift out of the Main Base to summit. The longest and worst lines are by far on the Summit and Canyon Quads, but once you get up there, the trails are usually not that crowded (outside of Long John/Deer Run). What, if any plans are there for this?

2) snowmaking expansion in the Sunbrook area and a new(er) lift to replace the horribly slow Quad. this is definitely an untapped trail pod due to poor snowmaking and lifts. Further development here would probably alleviate congestion in other areas. Are there any plans for this?

I personally rather see money spent on these issues than any lift on the North Face. When both triples are cranking on weekends, lines are non-existent and the slower ride up is a nice break. Plus, the wind is not so bad over there...

thank you!

ta&idaho

I'm only familiar with Mt Snow, where you guys seem to be doing a great job. One question about Carinthia (I love the concept, btw, and I'm not a park guy). Have you considered converting one of the trails into a boardercross-style course, with banked turns, rollers, etc.?

Vinny

Taking a step back and looking at Mount Snow, I think the two things need to happen next are:

1) new lift out of the Main Base to summit. The longest and worst lines are by far on the Summit and Canyon Quads, but once you get up there, the trails are usually not that crowded (outside of Long John/Deer Run). What, if any plans are there for this?

2) snowmaking expansion in the Sunbrook area and a new(er) lift to replace the horribly slow Quad. this is definitely an untapped trail pod due to poor snowmaking and lifts. Further development here would probably alleviate congestion in other areas. Are there any plans for this?

I personally rather see money spent on these issues than any lift on the North Face. When both triples are cranking on weekends, lines are non-existent and the slower ride up is a nice break. Plus, the wind is not so bad over there...

thank you!

I will second the Sunbrook comments. The area is underutilized and could be a nice addition to ski if it weren't for that agonizingly slow lift.

Last edited:

reefer

Hey Tim, thanks for participating. Great job with Mt. Snow so far! With daylight savings time coming up this weekend, it got me thinking about the "springing ahead" we now do in mid-march. I for one believe it is taking some real nice skiing away form us. Several times last year in March, with the warm days and refreeze at night, everything was bulletproof until 10:00 or 11:00 am, when in years past this really would have been 9:00 or 10:00 when things softened-up.
There are a couple areas in southern VT that extend/change the spring hours from 9:00am-5:00pm, even on weekends, when DST begins (on March 20 this year).
I for one would love to see Mt. Snow (as well as all other New England mountains) change to this policy.
Have you ever considered doing this at Mt. Snow?
Thanks,
Keith

reefer

Another topic Tim.
Skiing gladed terrain seems to be getting more popular in New England the last couple years, (pretty good snow years also). Several big mountains in the east are expanding tree skiing terrain. The tree skiing at Mt. Snow is a big factor why I continue to return. I have asked several people that work at the mountain about "cleaning" up the gladed areas a little, especially since that ice storm in December. There doesn't appear to be a lot of maintenance going on in this area, despite being told differently. Simply taking a day to clear some underbrush would help immensely. I have also asked about getting a "volunteer" crew together on a couple weekends, lead by a Mt. Snow expert of course, to cut and "regenerate" if necessary. I and my loppers would be first on the volunteer list.

1.) Do you plan to expand tree skiing at Mt. Snow?
2.) Is there really any maintenance done in the gladed areas?
3.) Would Mt. Snow ever consider a volunteer "brush-cutting" weekend? Maybe throwing in a lift ticket for the work.

Comment: I'm just concerned. Even though I like the new policy of Mt. Snow not marking your tree terrain with trail signs, and eliminating them in the trail count, I feel they will get more neglected in the future.

Not bitching here. Still had a great time in the trees the last couple years, and plan on it again this year.
Thanks again,
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.