• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need help planning trip

MrBones

New to this forum. My son goes to WPI in Worcester, MA. The first week in March, we want to take a week ski/board trip somewhere within 3-5 hours' drive. We are both intermediate-low expert skiers (well, he rides). We have been to Okemo (kinda bland/familyish) and Killington, and would like to try something new. Are considering Stratton, Mt. Snow, or Stowe. Love to have feedback RE: crowds/conditions/etc for first week of March. Thanks!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Your best bets for the possibility of mid-winter conditions are farther North. If I were going for a week, I'd look for a central spot and hit a bunch of different areas. Waterbury, VT would be a good base. You'd have Stowe, Sugarbush and MRG all within a half hour (Bolton too, but I'd pass on that) and you'd have Burke, Jay, Smuggs and Killington all within 1.5 hours. You'll pay more for individual tickets, but you'd get to experience more as well.

Having said all that, I'd probably get 3 day tickets to Sugarbush and Stowe and then hit Burke on the last day as it's an easy highway drive south back to Worcester.

mister moose

I would pick 3 out of the following 5 and do a circuit loop:

Burke, Jay, Stowe, Smuggs, Sugarbush.

If the snow is good the week you go I'd say stay more off the beaten path and take advantage of the week to go the farther distance and get less crowds- Burke, Jay, Smuggs. If the snow is "Machine groomed frozen granular" I'd do Stowe & Sugarbush

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only thing I would add to Moose's recommendation is to avoid Smuggs on weekends. Their lift capacity sucks. It makes for less crowded slopes, but I was there the first Saturday of March last season and the lines on Sterling were a half hour and 20 minutes or so on Madonna. The remaining lifts aren't really worth riding there.

MrBones

So Mt. Snow will be more crowded and less likely to have good conditions 3/6-3/13 than Stowe/Sugarbush?

deadheadskier

Staff member
crowds will be similar, but you really only need to worry about Saturdays. Mid-week will be fine anywhere you go.

I'm sure Mt. Snow will have a deep base and be near 100% open that week, almost every place is. Up north can be 10-20 degrees colder though, so you're much more likely to get more winter like conditions as opposed to spring. Last year this wasn't the case as March was a poor snowfall month. Most years, the Northern Greens see significant snowfall in March.

Greg

Staff member
So Mt. Snow will be more crowded and less likely to have good conditions 3/6-3/13 than Stowe/Sugarbush?

Nothing against Mount Snow, but I don't think it could entertain you for a week. I like the Northern New England circuit plan - hit Sugarbush, Stowe and Jay. Crowds midweek won't be an issue. Make the Saturdays your travel days. It's normally an excellent time of year to ski up there, but it is New England so you never know.

whitemtn27

Here's my .02 as someone who lives in Worcester:

-- Stratton is awkward to get to from Worcester, but if you're going for several days that isn't an issue. Honestly I doubt either there or Mt Snow will entertain you for a week, although as a strong blue/weak black skier you will feel like a hero at either place. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose Stratton for more plentiful lodging and reliable quality. They both get crowded on weekends, but Stratton lines will be less if you stick to the 6packs and avoid the gondola.

-- I think your best bet is to pick either Stowe or Sugarbush to stay at and get a multi-day ticket, then do a couple of side day trips if you want. Personally I prefer Sugarbush* (and it's cheaper), but either one will keep you happily occupied for at least 2-3 days, if not more.

-- From Stowe/SB, my recommended day trips would be Smuggs and/or Jay. Again, I prefer Jay for really awesome trees and reliable snow, but either is worth checking out.

-- I agree that Smuggs lifts are S.L.O.W., so absolutely don't go there on a weekend day.

-- Bolton Valley is very close too, but I've never been there so I won't comment.

* Note about getting to Sugarbush from Worcester: Google Maps by default sends you over Warren Mountain Road. If it has snowed recently and you do not have 4 wheel drive, do not do this. Stay on 89 until route 100B and go in that way. Trust me on this one. :wink:

SIKSKIER

Keep in mind MrBones is talking intermediate/low expert.Mt Snow would fit that description.you could also entertain the Lincoln/Franconia NH area and have Cannon,Loon, Waterville,and Bretton Woods all within a 1/2 hour drive.

xwhaler

In the spirit of suggesting multiple mtns to try over the course of a week, what about staying in Rangeley Maine on the lake and doing 3 days at Saddleback, 2 at Sugarloaf, and hit up SR on the way home? The Loaf is 45 mins from Rangeley and SR is prob 1:15

Perhaps a bit further than some of the Northern Green Mtns others have suggested but I'd argue snow quality will be similiar that time of year and perhaps less crowds.
Just an alternative viewpoint on this.

WWF-VT

New to this forum. My son goes to WPI in Worcester, MA. The first week in March, we want to take a week ski/board trip somewhere within 3-5 hours' drive. We are both intermediate-low expert skiers (well, he rides). We have been to Okemo (kinda bland/familyish) and Killington, and would like to try something new. Are considering Stratton, Mt. Snow, or Stowe. Love to have feedback RE: crowds/conditions/etc for first week of March. Thanks!

What are your plans for lodging ? Do you want to stay in a condo at one resort or are you looking at hotels and hitting multiple mountains ? Are you planning on skiing/riding every day or mixing in other activities ? Having no idea of your budget, it's usually more cost effective to rent a condo, eat meals in and buy multiple day tickets for a single resort. There are many options to consider.

MrBones

What are your plans for lodging ? Do you want to stay in a condo at one resort or are you looking at hotels and hitting multiple mountains ? Are you planning on skiing/riding every day or mixing in other activities ? Having no idea of your budget, it's usually more cost effective to rent a condo, eat meals in and buy multiple day tickets for a single resort. There are many options to consider.

We can afford whatever, but with just me and my son we don't go as nice as I have to do with my wife! We usually prefer to stay put at one place, so I'm thinking Stowe as it is big enough for 5-6 days of skiing. We have done Smuggs/Killington twice/Okemo/Sugarbush. Haven't ever done Stowe/Jay/Burke. Is Burke big enough for a ski week?

Riverskier

I haven't skied in Vermont, but based on conversations I have had and what I have read, if you find Okemo "kinda bland/familyish" you would probably find Stratton and Mt. Snow to be similar. Stowe or Sugarbush would probably be your best bets in Vermont. I would also recomend Sunday River (about 3.5 hours from Worcester) or Sugarloaf (about 4.5 hours from Worcester) in Maine. I can't speak for the Vermont mountains, but you can always escape the crowds at Sunday River no matter how busy it is. Sunday River's snowmaking and grooming is top notch too, so you are pretty much guarenteed good conditions. Of course, your best bet for abundant natural snow would be northern Vermont.

Are you looking to stay on mountain and ski one area, or try a number of areas? Personally I prefer to park the car, get to know one area well, and ski to my door at the end of the day. If that is the case with you, pretty much every mountain in New England would be an option. If you would like to hit a number of areas, northern Vermont is definitely the way to go.

vcunning

I'd recommend Stowe in a heartbeat for the skiing and classic New England experience. But if your son likes to hit the parks, Mount Snow seems to be the place to go.

I hope you son enjoys WPI. I certainly did!

vonski

I had my parents take me to Sugarbush for my Freshman year of college spring break in March 1986. I fell in love with the place and ski there all the time now and since then. Being that you are intermediate type skiers you should find that there is plenty of terrain and find plenty of woods that one can try which would be a new experience over Okemo. It also gives you the option to try Stowe as well. The problem I find with Stowe is that if your not in great shape then you will find the runs to be very long but there are great cruisers/groomers there that make Okemo look flat. I love Stowe as well, and don't mind the amount of verticle one gets off each run, but for the casual skier it can be long runs off the quad or Gondola. There are good eats in both Stowe and Sugarbush. I don't recommend Jay to anyone unless they ski woods. Also Boarders have long flat runs outs at Jay that can be no fun for a boarder not familiar with the mountain.

WWF-VT

We can afford whatever, but with just me and my son we don't go as nice as I have to do with my wife! We usually prefer to stay put at one place, so I'm thinking Stowe as it is big enough for 5-6 days of skiing. We have done Smuggs/Killington twice/Okemo/Sugarbush. Haven't ever done Stowe/Jay/Burke. Is Burke big enough for a ski week?

You can't go wrong at Stowe, Sugarbush or some combination of the two. I used to do a week at Stowe with my family and always had a good time. I am currently a Sugarbush season pass holder and may be a bit biased. With Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen, Sugarbush offers plenty of terrain to keep you occupied for 5-6 days. Stowe is less than an hour away and should have no issues with crowds midweek. Whichever place you chose, if your son is 21 make sure you buy him a beer at the Alchemist in Waterbury which is conveniently located about halfway between Sugarbush and Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
IMO, unless you like to spend a ton of time in the woods, Sugarbush has greater variety than Stowe. Stowe has the better parks though, which would be appealing to your son.

MrBones

Thanks!

Thank you all for the great tips! I settled on Stowe for a Sunday-Saturday trip (5 days of skiing midweek). Found a decent lodge I think (Northern Lights) for $98/night incl. hot breakfast located on Mountain Road. I must say this forum is awesome-fast and plentiful responses compared to others I've joined.