• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain...thoughts

thetrailboss

Staff member
this is not a tactic.... just my opinion. Show me the data, maybe you can call me a splinter group since I'm not a mod but I would like to see the data, like the politcal group called the "birthers"

+ 1. I want to see all the data, including the footnotes and explanations as to why NH says that the expenses were recategorized rather than someone's own proffered explanations, with or without ulterior motives.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
+ 1. I want to see all the data, including the footnotes and explanations as to why NH says that the expenses were recategorized rather than someone's own proffered explanations, with or without ulterior motives.

No one's stopping you from getting the answers firsthand if you don't like what's been posted.

No one's stopping you from getting the answers firsthand if you don't like what's been posted.

But if you already have all the data why don't you just post it so we can see it and discuss it? You very well may not be spinning it, and if your not than what do you have to lose?

Cannonball

There are plenty of charts, as well as two PDFs, posted/linked on SnowJournal

Great. Thank you for that. That's all we've been asking for. I'm happy to pitch in my share of the per/page fee for this page if you like.

So this full balance sheet shows net profit for both years.

You've questioned some of the accounting. I agree it is weird how it's shown here. BUT, now that you've provided all of the numbers it's pretty clear that those costs didn't just get hidden in some random other part of the State budget (as you implied). It looks like they stayed in the overall FNSP statement. It's hard to tell if it was an error which column they are in, or some other reason. But the bottom line is the same...all costs are shown and FNSP is a profitable state run operation.

Puck it

Couple of things stick as rather wierd.

Zero cost for snowmaking and liability insurance and fuel for 09.

Insurance cost jumps by $130K in one year.

I think I am reading this right. I hope insurance costs do not do that.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
BUT, now that you've provided all of the numbers it's pretty clear that those costs didn't just get hidden in some random other part of the State budget (as you implied). It looks like they stayed in the overall FNSP statement.

Where do you see Depreciation and Interest? They are indeed in other accounts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, so assuming arguendo that the lease goes through, who would be waiting in the wings to lease it? I can't really think of anyone in good financial health ready to take it on.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
IF they are in different accounts they are likely to stay there. How will the lease change that?

They are in different accounts. Bond payments are recognized in a separate account and thus conveniently not included in published Cannon earnings. Depreciation is calculated on a statewide basis and thus also not figured into Cannon's published performance.

Going forward, there would be no new capital investments by the state. As such, depreciation and interest expenses would be sunset (as was the case with Sunapee).

Cannonball

They are in different accounts. Bond payments are recognized in a separate account and thus conveniently not included in published Cannon earnings. Depreciation is calculated on a statewide basis and thus also not figured into Cannon's published performance.

Going forward, there would be no new capital investments by the state. As such, depreciation and interest expenses would be sunset (as was the case with Sunapee).

Wait, I thought the Mittersill lift was overpric...... never mind, I give up Good luck with your mission, what ever that turns out to be.

Black Phantom

Veterans get special nod at Profile ceremony

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110613/NEWS/706139981

By SARA YOUNG-KNOX
Union Leader Correspondent

FRANCONIA NOTCH — Just before the 8th annual Profile Awards ceremony Sunday, the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund dedicated the Old Man of the Mountain Monument and Profiler Plaza in Franconia Notch State Park to the men and women who have served the country.

Later came the name of the winning organization — the Vietnam Veterans of America–New Hampshire State Council.

“It is fitting to recognize the Vietnam Veterans of America-New Hampshire State Council for this year's organization award,” said Union Leader Corp. President Joseph McQuaid, who serves on the Profile Awards' selection committee. “March 30, 2011 was declared ‘Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day,' 38 years after troops were withdrawn from Vietnam.”

McQuaid said the award also honors the 46,000 Vietnam-era veterans living in New Hampshire, he said, and remembers 227 New Hampshire soldiers who lost their lives during the Vietnam War.

This year's individual recipient was Rusty McLear of Meredith. The city of Rochester was the municipality honored with the award named after the Old Man of the Mountain.

The awards honor a person, organization, and municipality who work to preserve or conserve those elements that give the state its unique heritage, whether in the form of its scenic beauty and natural resources, or cultural, social or political history in the spirit of the state's icon.

Those at the event at Peabody Lodge at Cannon Mountain also witnessed the unveiling of the profilers that recreate a view of the Old Man up on his perch again.

Prior to handing out the awards, McQuaid noted the recent passing of former Gov. Walter Peterson, who was the first recipient of the individual award in 2004. He called Peterson “as durable as the Old Man himself,” saying he was “a benchmark against which all others are measured.”

Meredith businessman Rusty McLear was recognized for his work and dedication in revitalizing Meredith over the past 20 years.

“Rusty has been an outstanding leader in preservation and economic development in his community, turning vacant asbestos mills to premier hotels and helping to inspire others in preserving their own properties,” McQuaid said. “Rusty's ability to inspire others has brought state and local officials, non-profit and civic organizations, volunteers, and local businesses together in efforts to maintain and continually increase the preservation of historic buildings and land conservation.”

The city of Rochester, long known as the Lilac City, has become one of the fastest growing cities in New Hampshire, and the city has undertaken protection of its historic, scenic and cultural assets, while attracting high quality commercial, residential and industrial development.

“Rochester residents have a strong sense of volunteerism, supporting causes that make the city a livable and friendly place,” McQuaid said. “Keep a watch on Rochester. It is a special community with a bold vision for its future.”

Starting soon after noon, members of the American Legion Riders of Conway and Red Knights and Blue Knights strode into the memorial plaza, after having taken part in the Watching Over Us Motorcycle Ride from Laconia. The ride honored victims of 9/11, fallen police and firefighters.

Col. Richard Martell, commander of the NH Air National Guard, said that he had been to the park as a child and had seen the Old Man, but hadn't realized the park was dedicated to veterans in 1928.

To commemorate this, children from Lafayette Elementary School in Franconia sang “The Old Man of the Mountain,” first performed at that 1928 ceremony.

John DeVivo, emcee of the first event and general manager of Franconia State Park, said his brother had served two tours in Iraq, and asked people to thank servicemen and women whenever they see them.

Several spoke about the Old Man of the Mountain, and what New Hampshire's iconic symbol meant to state and area before it slid off the mountainside in 2003.

Legacy Fund Chairman Dick Hamilton noted the work on the plaza, with its granite pavers and profilers, was done without any state or federal funds, Hamilton added.

The plaza is laid with more than 250 engraved granite blocks purchased by people, companies and organizations who are now a part of the enduring legacy for future generations of the Old Man of the Mountain.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Col. Richard Martell, commander of the NH Air National Guard, said that he had been to the park as a child and had seen the Old Man, but hadn't realized the park was dedicated to veterans in 1928.

This is something I've found very interesting. Apart from a small plaque mounted on a rock that's sinking into Profile Lake (adjacent to the new Old Man memorial).

The park was dedicated as "Franconia Notch Forest Reservation and Memorial Park" in 1928.

It appears that, circa the late 1950s, the name was simplified to "Franconia Notch State Park."

Puck it

This is something I've found very interesting. Apart from a small plaque mounted on a rock that's sinking into Profile Lake (adjacent to the new Old Man memorial).

The park was dedicated as "Franconia Notch Forest Reservation and Memorial Park" in 1928.

It appears that, circa the late 1950s, the name was simplified to "Franconia Notch State Park."

Show me the proof! I want to see the data!!!:dontknow:

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
This is the extent of the honoring of veterans with the park:

monument.jpg