• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain...thoughts

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
would debt payments go away with a lease?

Good question...it depends upon how the lease is handled. In the very least, the debt payments would decrease as the bonds roll off the books. No new bonds would be needed, as further investment would come out of the pockets of the private sector operator (as was the case with the quad chairlifts and lodge at Sunapee).

It should also be noted that there is additional debt not included in that chart, as it was treated as a direct taxpayer back bond, rather than a Cannon Capital Account backed bond.

SIKSKIER

Sorry Threecy

I can't find anything online to back this up but my sister just came back from lunch and said she heard on NPR that the state had dropped the Cannon lease out of that bill.That's all I have right now but it looks like smarter heads prevailed in this round.I hope.

After further searching here is one article I found.This is the link and I won't make you search for it or pay for it.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/20...f-proposal-to-lease-cannon-mountain-ski-area/

New Hampshire Lawmakers Back Off Proposal to Lease Cannon Mountain Ski Area
June 15, 2011
By First Tracks!! Online Media
Concord, NH - New Hampshire state lawmakers on Wednesday passed a state budget that funds Cannon Mountain Ski Area through 2013, and in so doing removed a Senate proposal to lease the state-owned resort in Franconia Notch to a private operator.

Negotiators from both the state House and Senate agreed that the matter should be debated in a new bill to be introduced next year.

(photo: Cannon Mountain)
The issue of privatizing Cannon Mountain, part of Franconia Notch State Park has been discussed in hushed tones for years, but facing necessary budget cuts the legislature this year introduced a bill in an attempt to force the issue. While in years past the ski area consistently lost money, its operations have resulted in annual profits in recent years and by some accounts visitation in 2010-11 set a record. Advocates for privatization argue that while the ski area earned a $1 million profit this winter, the state can’t afford to shell out for necessary capital improvements to the resort. Proponents advocate pumping the proposed lease payments for Cannon Mountain back into the state’s park system. New Hampshire Governor John Lynch has previously voiced his opposition to privatizing Cannon.

The State of New Hampshire actually owns two ski areas. The second, Mount Sunapee in the southern town of Newbury, has been leased since 1998 to Triple Peaks LLC, the family owned conglomerate that owns and operates Okemo Mountain in Ludlow, Vt., and Crested Butte Mountain Resort in Colorado. Profits from that lease are reinvested into Cannon Mountain.

Related stories:

1.N.H. Lawmakers Propose Privatizing Cannon Mountain Ski Area
2.Second Death in a Week on New Hampshire’s Cannon Mountain
3.Cannon Mountain Breaks Ground for New Mittersill Double Chairlift
4.Cannon Mountain Opens Mittersill Lift
5.Mass. Man Killed While Skiing in New Hampshire
Leave a Reply Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.

Last edited:

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I can't find anything online to back this up but my sister just came back from lunch and said she heard on NPR that the state had dropped the Cannon lease out of that bill.That's all I have right now but it looks like smarter heads prevailed in this round.I hope.

The Cannon Mountain lease will likely be removed from HB1 and HB2 and instead be debated separately at a later time.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110615/NEWS06/110619956

SIKSKIER

While I was searching I saw this statement from John DeVivo.If it has been poted before I apologize.

News & Media
Email Newsletter
Cannon Cam Shot
Photo Gallery
Video
Press Releases
Proposed Cannon Lease

Proposed Cannon Lease
Proposed Leasing of Cannon Mountain Ski Operations - Updated June 10, 2011

The NH Senate recently introduced an amendment to the State's current budget bill - HB2. That amendment would require the State to lease the ski operations of Cannon Mountain, effective July 1, 2012.

The State Budget, which includes the amendment regarding the leasing of Cannon, is currently being deliberated by members of the House and Senate.

Below is a statement from Cannon's General Manager, regarding our position:

As the General Manager at Cannon Mountain Ski Area and Franconia Notch State Park, I think it's time for the general public to hear our official position on the leasing amendment that was attached to the State's 2012/13 budget currently under consideration by the Legislature.

Our mission since 2007 at Cannon has been very simple: rebuild the company from the inside out; establish and maintain a long-term plan for profitability while providing a value-based recreation experience for in-state and out-of-state visitors; and vigilantly protect the character and integrity of Franconia Notch.

We've made vast improvements upon our terrain diversity, our management and marketing, our snowmaking and grooming, our service and infrastructure, and our community relations and business partnerships. The public has responded very well, and the numbers don't lie. Our skier visits, season pass sales, total revenue and net profits have risen steadily, and we’ve turned a nearly $1.5 Million deficit into a nearly $1 Million surplus within just four years... a 250% improvement. We’ve also revitalized Mittersill and added 50% more terrain to the ski area. We’ve done all of this with value in mind, and have scored the top ranking in the East for value for four years running in the SKI Magazine Readers’ Poll.

We've been successful thus far, and we aim to continue. We have a lot to do over the next few years before we’ve maximized upon our potential, and we relish the challenge. Our goal is to attract 25% more visitors to the ‘Notch over the next several years while maintaining its pristine character. Many of us on the management team have either come to work in the ‘Notch or returned here for the same reason – we love it here, and we’re privileged to work in what we feel is “New Hampshire’s most beautiful office.” We operate Cannon Mountain and Franconia Notch State Park (FNSP) as a singular operating unit, with shared assets, resources, personnel, costs, maintenance and infrastructure. Cannon/FNSP operates unlike any other park within the State's Division of Parks and Recreation, and it generates nearly sixty percent of the annual revenue of the entire park system.

Cannon is the epicenter of New Hampshire's flagship State Park, and to separate the Ski Area from the State Park itself would have serious negative long-term operational, logistical and financial effects on both the Park and the Division. The Park’s headquarters, IT infrastructure, management team and primary maintenance facilities are located at Cannon. Additionally, the costs associated with freezing our rates, zeroing our budget and entering a lease may very quickly add up to nearly $2 Million during fiscal years 2012 and 2013. We’re also concerned over the millions in potential losses in discounts and philanthropy that may affect New Hampshire residents and organizations over several decades during a leasing agreement.

In short, we're a self-funded, self-managed, State-owned success story that has utilized all means available to reinvest in itself, revitalize the North Country economy, draw visitors from around the world, and make New Hampshire proud, and we've done so with no negative impact upon the State's general fund. Over the last four years, Cannon’s average annual net profit has exceeded the Mount Sunapee lease payment to the State, yet there are many who point to the leasing of Mount Sunapee as the business model of choice. We’ve shown that for a great many operational, logistical and financial reasons, a leasing model simply will not work at Cannon/FNSP.

With due respect and trust toward the effort and support offered to the State and its residents by the Legislature, we feel that the leasing of Cannon Mountain Ski Area is not what's best for the overall long-term health of Cannon/FNSP, the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, or Franconia Notch itself, and that it’s not what’s best for New Hampshire. We've made this position clear to the Legislature, and felt it’d best be made clear to the general public.

John DeVivo, General Manager
Cannon Mountain Ski Area and Franconia Notch State Park

I couldn't agree more JD

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Where did you see this? Edit, nevermind, they posted it using state funds on a state-owned web site: http://www.cannonmt.com/lease.html

In short, we're a self-funded, self-managed
We know this to be an incorrect statement, as millions have been poured into the mountain in recent years from non-Cannon-generated-funds.

Over the last four years, Cannon’s average annual net profit has exceeded the Mount Sunapee lease payment to the State, yet there are many who point to the leasing of Mount Sunapee as the business model of choice.
Amazing. Firstly, the Sunapee lease money is used within Cannon's results (sort of like someone saying that our two paychecks combined are more than your paycheck). Secondly, it's an interesting statement, even when using Cannon's incomplete operating numbers:
reportedrevenue.jpg

SIKSKIER

Where did you see this? Edit, nevermind, they posted it using state funds on a state-owned web site: http://www.cannonmt.com/lease.html

Well ya.And imagine the nerve of the guy that posted it was being paid by the state.Hey,while you at busting him for using state money funds,I'll say those legislature have the nerve to be wasting my money trying to backdoor this lease and piggyback on this bill.Give me a break will you.

Here's your link.I should tell you to go find it yourself like you tell other menmbers here.
http://www.cannonmt.com/lease.html

jack97

Well ya.And imagine the nerve of the guy that posted it was being paid by the state.Hey,while you at busting him for using state money funds,I'll say those legislature have the nerve to be wasting my money trying to backdoor this lease and piggyback on this bill.Give me a break will you.

+1... At least some in the state leg has some common sense in that they will bring up the Cannon lease as a seperate bill for future debate. Morse doing this backdoor trick was a big a money waste. Hope the voters have long memories.

Black Phantom

Here's your link.I should tell you to go find it yourself like you tell other menmbers here.
http://www.cannonmt.com/lease.html

NH State Legislature is not a full time paid position.

jack97

this is what I found.....

Senators are paid $100 a year, as stipulated by the New Hampshire Constitution. Senators also receive mileage reimbursement for officially related travel.

Factor in the housing for them to meet and debate such issues, the electricity and fuel bill to perform such debate. Hopefully these cost are are place in the proper summer/winter operations columns of the spread sheet.

Now we have to compare this cost to the cost of posting the FNSP's position on thier own web site..... sounds petty to me.

AdironRider

Theres more to the cost than just the 100 bucks a state legislator makes. This little backdoor attempt at a deal probably has cost the state thousands once you break it all down. Shit, just the paper it was printed on for all the state folks whove handled the thing probably cost more than that.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
this is what I found.....

Senators are paid $100 a year, as stipulated by the New Hampshire Constitution. Senators also receive mileage reimbursement for officially related travel.

Factor in the housing for them to meet and debate such issues

Housing? Which Senators get housing?

They do, however, get free skiing for themselves and a guest at Cannon.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
+1... At least some in the state leg has some common sense in that they will bring up the Cannon lease as a seperate bill for future debate. Morse doing this backdoor trick was a big a money waste. Hope the voters have long memories.

Backdoor trick? There's about $5 million per year in the budget for Cannon, not including the $500K or so they want draw from the Sunapee lease this year, or the $6.5 million they're requesting from the state capital budget...

hrstrat57

Wow, checking back in on my little pet here.

I guess I got what I asked for, opinions of NH residents......

(even tho I typo'd in my post #1)

Carry on:popcorn:

AdironRider

Backdoor trick? There's about $5 million per year in the budget for Cannon, not including the $500K or so they want draw from the Sunapee lease this year, or the $6.5 million they're requesting from the state capital budget...

Which breaks down to a grand total of $.66 per person. Your argument here is getting old. You lost. Boo hoo.

Just made a charitable donation to the state for 1.32. Covers mine and your share Threecy, even put your name on it. The state appreciates your enthusiasm for keeping Cannon the way it is.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Which breaks down to a grand total of $.66 per person. Your argument here is getting old. You lost. Boo hoo.

Just made a charitable donation to the state for 1.32. Covers mine and your share Threecy, even put your name on it. The state appreciates your enthusiasm for keeping Cannon the way it is.

You left out one of your trademark personal attacks.