• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This season sucks

The Sneak

For those of us in the flatlands, no matter how 'core' we think we are...its hard to put a positive spin on this season. I have been skiing for 20 years now and this is truly the worst season I've had.

I plan on skiing deep into april if condition/life allows, but its really hard to get motivated to drive up north to ski boilerplate crap. I have too many other things going on like work, house projects etc to just go skiing for skiing's sake. This is an expensive sport. I'm not dropping $100 for gas and lift ticket for crap...I'll just go lap Wawa with my paid for season pass in that case.

It better f#cking snow soon.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
For those of us in the flatlands, no matter how 'core' we think we are...its hard to put a positive spin on this season. I have been skiing for 20 years now and this is truly the worst season I've had.

I plan on skiing deep into april if condition/life allows, but its really hard to get motivated to drive up north to ski boilerplate crap. I have too many other things going on like work, house projects etc to just go skiing for skiing's sake. This is an expensive sport. I'm not dropping $100 for gas and lift ticket for crap...I'll just go lap Wawa with my paid for season pass in that case.

There's a lot of truth to this, and it's troublesome for the ski industry as a whole.

bdfreetuna

I can rememeber worse seasons... but not many

At least there was that October snowstorm so people had a chance to get early skiing in up at Killington.

I have 7 days under my belt so far which is less than ideal... but could be worse. And I did enjoy every day even though I haven't got to ski 100% open terrains.

No woods skiing yet... which is my favorite skiing... but that will happen.

I am hoping for another long season up north like at Jay Peak and Sugarloaf so I will just keep trekking it up there until no longer possible.

And I suppose I will spend a bit more time on the Specialized Enduro this year compared to last :)

This season so far I have accepted it for what it is and used it to improve my skills mostly at multiple days at Killington and local mountains instead of exploring the vast possibilities of ski resorts like I did last year when conditions were great everywhere and I went on side/backcountry tour all season long.

Cornhead

Cheer up, we could all be snowmobilers. My biggest disappointment this year has been my first visit to Sugarbush. It was O.K., but I couldn't help thinking how amazing the place must be in a more "normal" season. From reading TR's, I guess I missed some good conditions there this year. I sure hope things turn around, I still have two vouchers for Sugarbush, and just bought four passes to Platty.

Maybe if I go to New Mexico it'll bring snow to the North East, I'm convinced it'll snow here if I go out there. I'm seriously considering just going to Florida and laying on the beach for a couple weeks, daydreaming of skiing.

4aprice

Agree. If I didn't have my Camelback pass I'd probably be in single digits this year. I do have some prepaid tickets for Vermont which I will use but I'm doubtful I will reach my preseason goals.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ALLSKIING

Staff member

Agree. If I didn't have my Camelback pass I'd probably be in single digits this year. I do have some prepaid tickets for Vermont which I will use but I'm doubtful I will reach my preseason goals.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There have been plenty of day without boilerplate...i skied the bush 3 days last week and it was soft and sweet....Other days at Killington as well. Pay attention to the trip reports and weather and go....If you dont the season will be over and you will be wishing for WROD.

drjeff

Cheer up, we could all be snowmobilers. .

This is so true! Not only are the suffering from the lack of snow, but the lack of consistant cold air has the ice conditions that make up a decent amount of so many trails at best sketchy and at worst non existant :eek:

I'd imagine that being an ice fisherman this year sucks too! :eek:

HowieT2

There have been plenty of day without boilerplate...i skied the bush 3 days last week and it was soft and sweet....Other days at Killington as well. Pay attention to the trip reports and weather and go....If you dont the season will be over and you will be wishing for WROD.

+1. we have had a pretty good season up north. a couple of great days and some good days. I wouldnt have bought a ticket last saturday but it turned out to be darned good. skied the upper mtn woods with a little fresh powder on top of a firm but edgeable crust.

fwiw-my recollection is that january '07 was much much worse than this year. and remember how that movie ended. v-day FTW. keep the faith.

steamboat1

Don't know what all the complaining is about. I've been having a decent year so far. Went to VT. 3 times during Jan. & had at least a few inches of fresh at least one day every time. This past Tues. at the Bush was one of the better powder days I've had in awhile. It snowed a few inches at Stratton on Mon. too. It did rain yesterday though.

ScottySkis

Im okay with waiting for snow to fall before i go spend money and time to not enjoy, when its good so much fun, and that always been east coast skiing way of life

kingslug

Well, this might be reasonable to some, others, not so much. Go west..yes with a family its big bucks I know, but for the single crowd or just with the GF..add up all the money you spend in a month or two going to the local hills..if its close to what a trip out west is..then go for it..this season a week out west would blow away a month of this crap here...I just got back from Alta, and while they still are only 40% open..it was a pretty good 40%. Steep chutes, powder, packed powder, huge mogul fields...I'm hitting Big Sky Montana the end of the month..and if it means only skiing a few times this month..so be it.

JimmyPete

Well I don't know what this means but four weeks ago I tripped over the snow blower which I had moved to the front of the garage to be ready for the winter that never came. Broke my ankle. I guess this was the best winter to do so , but can't go on my annual trip to Vail in mid March.

4aprice

Don't get me wrong. I will be skiing as long as there is skiing to do. My main point is that without my pass I would be doing much less. I have tickets to up north and will not let them go to waste, however, my ski dollars are not unlimited and I will be choosey much more so then if it were an better winter.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ