• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Case Mtn 4/19

C-Rex

Snuck out of work early yesterday to get some riding in before the rain coming in the next few days. One of my friends was off so we hit Line St. around 3. Neither of us had been up to Slickrock in quite a while so we made that our objective. Usually if we're going to climb the Fern we want to ride the new Tinty, but change of pace is good.. We rode up to the red, down to the washed out bridge, up the Fern to Slickrock. I forgot how fun and technical this section can be. I'd love to hike my DH bike out there from Birch Mountain Rd. sometime. Then followed the blue to the summit. We were ready to bomb back down the yellow/red but I broke my chain right at the bottom of the hill by the chimney. And guess what? Left my chain breaker in the car. Awesome. I guess I'm lucky I was close and uphill from the lot, so I coasted back to the car instead of getting to pin it. Sort of anti-climatic, but a good ride on a beautiful day for sure. 9.6 miles

The trails were ultra-dry. I think that's the first time I've ever seen the rooty section at the near the top of the Fern with no mud. I'm guessing the torrential rain we're supposed to be getting this weekend is going to cause some serious washouts.

bvibert

Staff member
Bummer about the chain! At least you didn't have to walk out though...

I gotta get myself up to Case at least once again this year.

o3jeff

Sounds like you had a good ride. Last summer was pretty dry too and you could pretty much ride thru the stream under the washed out bridge without the water being up to your knees!

Bummer about the chain! At least you didn't have to walk out though...

I gotta get myself up to Case at least once again this year.

Me too, and I only work about 2 miles from it! Hopefully next week I'll blow the dust off the mountain bike!

bvibert

Staff member
Me too, and I only work about 2 miles from it! Hopefully next week I'll blow the dust off the mountain bike!

If you had been riding it would have plenty of dust on it anyway. The trails are DRY. Hopefully this rain we're supposed to be getting this weekend packs it down a little!