• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are the AZ'ers on MLB Postseason?

Trekchick

I pop in from time to time and always love the banter on this site. I absolutely adore some of the members here, (Warpdaddy, this means you!)

But this year when I pop in to check on the baseball threads, there seems to be something missing......where are the baseball threads?

snowmonster

Random thoughts:

I am old soul so I'm hoping for a Detroit-St. Louis World Series like the one they had in 1968.

I'm a Red Sox fan so this post-season stings for me after my team could not fight its way out of a paper bag througout the season.

The ninth inning of last night's Tigers-Yankees game got me all wound up. I swear the Yankees are the undead. They just keep coming back at you.

As a baseball fan, I am sad that both Jeter and Mo Rivera are out of the post-season. It's not the same without them. That said, A Rod has solidified his claim to being Mr. April.

The Cardinals are the National League's version of the Yankees in the undead department. How they came back in the ninth inning in Game 5 against the Nationals was amazing. I'm glad I was a neutral observer watching that unfold. If the Sox were playing in that game, I would have chewed on my couch.

Tim Lincecum will start a game in the NLCS.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I sort of follow the red sox but I"m not really a huge fan. I actually fell of the radar for postseason once the Sox were out ... so like July :lol:

My brother in law works at Fenway and he is almost inconsolable with the performance from the Sox this year.

bigbog

.....I am old soul so I'm hoping for a Detroit-St. Louis World Series like the one they had in 1968.

I'm a Red Sox fan so this post-season stings for me after my team could not fight its way out of a paper bag througout the season.

The ninth inning of last night's Tigers-Yankees game got me all wound up. I swear the Yankees are the undead. They just keep coming back at you.

As a baseball fan, I am sad that both Jeter and Mo Rivera are out of the post-season. It's not the same without them. That said, A Rod has solidified his claim to being Mr. April.

The Cardinals are the National League's version of the Yankees in the undead department. How they came back in the ninth inning in Game 5 against the Nationals was amazing. I'm glad I was a neutral observer watching that unfold. If the Sox were playing in that game, I would have chewed on my couch.

Yeah...VERY surprising to see ARod sitting..

Last edited:

bigbog

I pop in from time to time and always love the banter on this site. I absolutely adore some of the members here, (Warpdaddy, this means you!)

But this year when I pop in to check on the baseball threads, there seems to be something missing......where are the baseball threads?

One can take the girl out of Tigerland, but you can't take the Tigers out of the girl!.....am I right Tricia...

4aprice

The Red Sox had a bad year. The Mets had a bad year. The Phillies had a bad year. The Yankees are toast without Derek Jeter (For probably the first time in my life I have sympathy for the Yankee fan) It's football season on the east coast. Replay of the 67 series would probably be the most interesting to me and I still doubt I'd watch it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickstand

Yeah...VERY surprising to see ARod sitting..
Only because of his salary. Let's face it, the Yankees have 3 guys who are seriously sucking ass right now - ARod, Cano and Granderson. Cano and Granderson at least bring something else to the table (they both play up the middle and can run, if they're on base). ARod is a corner infielder who isn't hitting. He has a serviceable replacement (Chavez), whereas Cano and Granderson don't. It's sink or swim with them. You have options with ARod.

JimG.

Staff member
Only because of his salary. Let's face it, the Yankees have 3 guys who are seriously sucking ass right now - ARod, Cano and Granderson. Cano and Granderson at least bring something else to the table (they both play up the middle and can run, if they're on base). ARod is a corner infielder who isn't hitting. He has a serviceable replacement (Chavez), whereas Cano and Granderson don't. It's sink or swim with them. You have options with ARod.

Let's not forget Nick Swisher who is 0-forever in the playoffs.

bigbog

Can't really disagree with anything you said kickstand. Kind of reminds me of my 69' Orioles JimG. Followed them from since 65', but did I ever take a lot of crap...living in upstate NY....in 69'.

Trekchick

Random thoughts:

I am old soul so I'm hoping for a Detroit-St. Louis World Series like the one they had in 1968.

Nice to see the Old Salt thoughts on this, and I have to say, I feel much the same.

One can take the girl out of Tigerland, but you can't take the Tigers out of the girl!.....am I right Tricia...
ROAR baby ROAR!!!

Go Tigers! The only team left I can tolerate.

Awe, such sentiment. :)

So here's my life in a baseball diamond.
I watched a few games with my grandpa when I was a kid, but mostly we listened on the transistor radio as Ernie's voice created images of Tiger stadium in our minds.
I even went to a Tiger game at Tiger stadium once, and watched Mark (the Bird) Fidrich pitch. He was a story all of his own.

I was pretty disappointed with the way the Tigers played early this season, considering the amazing team they have, but kept track of the standings and watched highlights,, catching the occasional game on the radio. But since we moved to Tahoe, its hard to catch Tigers and Phillies games without having satellite radio unless they're playing the A's

Now, with the Tigers in the playoffs, I'm tuned into the radio (don't have cable tv so can't get TBS) and listening to every detail.
The only thing missing is Ernie's voice.

On a side note, There are a lot of Giants fans out here, and my good friend's favorite team is the Cardinals.
I'm going to have some fun times when the Tigers go to the series no matter if its the Cardinals or Giants.

As for the Yankees, with an overpaid veteran staff, who's sitting the bench, I'd say the Tigers have a good chance of taking game 4 today.
However, I am usually cautious about being too haughty........Pride does cometh before the fall.

Hot dogs and hard cider at my house today as we listen to the game.
Come on over and join us. :D

Cornhead

The Cardinals are the National League's version of the Yankees in the undead department. How they came back in the ninth inning in Game 5 against the Nationals was amazing.

I happened to catch the end of this game, incredible. My heart went out to the Nats fans, the Cards were down to their last strike twice. I love MLB playoffs, regular season, not so much. I feel the same about the NBA. That's what makes the NFL so compelling, there a so few games, every one is important.

JimG.

Staff member
As for the Yankees, with an overpaid veteran staff, who's sitting the bench, I'd say the Tigers have a good chance of taking game 4 today.
However, I am usually cautious about being too haughty........Pride does cometh before the fall.

Huh? You need to put that radio away and get cable so you can watch.

Overpaid veteran staff? Nobody who has watched this series can say the Yankees pitching staff is to blame. In fact, they have been brilliant and deserve much better than they have gotten.

Now if you had said the hitters are overpaid I would agree. You can't win games if you don't hit the ball. Plenty of blame to go around here.

And as for the A-Rod/bench "drama", he is where he belongs. He is the classic example of the "steroid star" that baseball promoted for years. Now that he is off the dope, he is what he really is...ordinary. I'm wondering how the Yankess are going to get out from under his stupid contract.

Trekchick

Huh? You need to put that radio away and get cable so you can watch.

Overpaid veteran staff? Nobody who has watched this series can say the Yankees pitching staff is to blame. In fact, they have been brilliant and deserve much better than they have gotten.

Now if you had said the hitters are overpaid I would agree. You can't win games if you don't hit the ball. Plenty of blame to go around here.

And as for the A-Rod/bench "drama", he is where he belongs. He is the classic example of the "steroid star" that baseball promoted for years. Now that he is off the dope, he is what he really is...ordinary. I'm wondering how the Yankess are going to get out from under his stupid contract.
I agree with you 100%.
I probably miswrote what I meant, but I'm not harshing on the Yankees pitchers at all.
But when you have someone with A-Rod's contract who's sitting the bench..........there's a problem.
I hate the drama surrounding the steroid use and really don't want to get into the discussion board drama on that topic, but I believe you've hit the nail on the head.
Then there is Granderson, Swisher......(also benched)

As for pitching staff, you'd have to go a long way to find a pitching staff better than the Tigers have right now.

snowmonster

^ Speculation last night on ESPN is that, if A Rod does not play today, the Yankees may be shipping him out in the off-season. Florida is a likely candidate because A Rod is likely to waive his no trade clause for that since he lives there. If this happens, the question is how much the Yankees eat on his salary.

There's something delightful actually about listening to a baseball game on the radio. You really have to concentrate. It's the only way to catch a game at the beach or while driving. I also like the old-timey feel to it. Sometimes I even pull over the side of the road when the play is getting tense or when I'm about to enter a tunnel and I don't want to miss the action.

Funny how baseball's past resonates in the present. I guess that's what makes the game so special. The other night, they were comparing Justin Verlander to Mark Fidrych. I remember the Bird and that thought reference somehow connected my young self to me in the present. It's like what they said in that movie: "This game marks the passage of time." Then, of course, there's having the first Triple Crown winner in a generation. It's like the late sixties are coming back. That's why I'm hoping for a Tigers-Cards series. I will enjoy the symmetry.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree with you 100%.
I probably miswrote what I meant, but I'm not harshing on the Yankees pitchers at all.
But when you have someone with A-Rod's contract who's sitting the bench..........there's a problem.
I hate the drama surrounding the steroid use and really don't want to get into the discussion board drama on that topic, but I believe you've hit the nail on the head.
Then there is Granderson, Swisher......(also benched)

As for pitching staff, you'd have to go a long way to find a pitching staff better than the Tigers have right now.

Tigers have a fine staff and the best pitcher in MLB in Verlander.

I'll stop with the steroid stuff too because I also agree with you there...I give Girardi alot of credit for first pinch hitting for and then benching A-Rod. The guy is showing his true colors now...he acts like a child on TV and is quite frankly an embarrassment. I think he is happy the Yankees are going down in flames and thinks it is because he was benched. Still disrespects his teammate Derek Jeter who is the heart of the Yankees. I knew they were done when he broke his ankle.

JimG.

Staff member
^ Speculation last night on ESPN is that, if A Rod does not play today, the Yankees may be shipping him out in the off-season. Florida is a likely candidate because A Rod is likely to waive his no trade clause for that since he lives there. If this happens, the question is how much the Yankees eat on his salary.

Miami may be the only team stupid enough to take him. As for the money, the Yanks have plenty and would spend it well to get rid of him.

Trekchick

There's something delightful actually about listening to a baseball game on the radio. You really have to concentrate. It's the only way to catch a game at the beach or while driving. I also like the old-timey feel to it. Sometimes I even pull over the side of the road when the play is getting tense or when I'm about to enter a tunnel and I don't want to miss the action.

Funny how baseball's past resonates in the present. I guess that's what makes the game so special. The other night, they were comparing Justin Verlander to Mark Fidrych. I remember the Bird and that thought reference somehow connected my young self to me in the present. It's like what they said in that movie: "This game marks the passage of time." Then, of course, there's having the first Triple Crown winner in a generation. It's like the late sixties are coming back. That's why I'm hoping for a Tigers-Cards series. I will enjoy the symmetry.
Ahhhhh, there it is.
I thought I'd miss cable tv when the mlb post season came on, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the radio coverage. Only thing missing is Ernie's voice coming over the air.
Fidrych was fun to watch tho, wasn't he?

Tigers have a fine staff and the best pitcher in MLB in Verlander.

I'll stop with the steroid stuff too because I also agree with you there...I give Girardi alot of credit for first pinch hitting for and then benching A-Rod. The guy is showing his true colors now...he acts like a child on TV and is quite frankly an embarrassment. I think he is happy the Yankees are going down in flames and thinks it is because he was benched. Still disrespects his teammate Derek Jeter who is the heart of the Yankees. I knew they were done when he broke his ankle.
Jeter is a class act. I sincerely hope he heals well.