• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface opens

Breakout12

I saw on the news this morning that Whiteface is open, six days earlier than last year. I take this as a good sign.

Smellytele

I saw on the news this morning that Whiteface is open, six days earlier than last year. I take this as a good sign.

It is only a sign of last years weather really. Ski areas are trying to show that they indeed care and what people to come back after last year's horrible weather. The weather still so far is not a good sign. cool enough to make snow yes but very dry. I see after a Thanksgiving warmup a chance of daytime R@#n may be in the forecast for next weekend at most ski areas.

agarefino

Has anyone been to whiteface? Never been and would like to get there this year. I usually ride killington and other Vermont resorts

Kerovick

I've been there several times. It is quite a nice mountain! I've never been in the glades as I always seem to ski alone there.

skiersleft

I concur. Whiteface is a great hill. Skis small, though, due to all runs funneling to the same place. It's got loads of vertical, but not a lot of horizontal. It's tougher than most hills in the East. Probably among the top 3 or 4 in terms of tough terrain.

BenedictGomez

Has anyone been to whiteface? Never been and would like to get there this year.

I absolutely love the town of Lake Placid; the restaurants, bars, and shopping alone make skiing Whiteface well worth the trip.

I've been there several times. It is quite a nice mountain! I've never been in the glades as I always seem to ski alone there.

What? You mean you're not a tailgater?

I highly recommend tailgating if you're alone and want to ski some glades. I am a tailgater, and get tailgated into the woods quite a bit by solo skiers and boarders over the course of the season. I don't mind it in the least bit. Safety first.

x10003q

WF is a great mountain if you are an advanced or expert skier. The Slides (rarely open) is the only scary section of WF. The upper mountain has long, constant grade black trails. They are not crazy steep, but they can be relentless and icy. If you are an intermediate there is very little for you. Pay close attention to the conditions and the weather as the wind can wipe the place clean. The place can be pretty cold as it is very exposed. The town of Lake Placid is a blast. It is worth the drive to try it as least once.

Warp Daddy

Whiteface IS an experience and provides ample thrills . Since it is only a couple of hrs we have been there several times and in Placid 3/4 times a year . If you call yourself a skier u need to go at least once and experience all of the 1980 Olympic venues . You will NOT be disappointed with the Lake Placid ambiance

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
It is only a sign of last years weather really. Ski areas are trying to show that they indeed care and what people to come back after last year's horrible weather. The weather still so far is not a good sign. cool enough to make snow yes but very dry. I see after a Thanksgiving warmup a chance of daytime R@#n may be in the forecast for next weekend at most ski areas.

They try to show they care unless their name is HUNTER!:angry: