• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How'd they do over the big week?

Gilligan

Killington seemed to do very well this past week. For a few days they even had traffic jams leaving the resort at 4pm!

Was it a banner week all around? How crowded were the other Northeast resorts with so much fresh snow on the ground?

Masskier

Burke had a solid week. Friday seemed the busiest with 5 minute lift lines at times. The rest of the week if I didn't ski onto the chair it was only 2-3 minutes in line. Overall a great week.

kingslug

Hunter was a madhouse Friday..I didn't even try to get out until after 6pm..Sunday was pretty crowded as well but nowhere near...conditions where better Friday but the West side opened..no crowds back there..

goldsbar

Gore set a "record" on Friday. Not sure exactly what that means or what the time period was but there were tons of people in the lodge and parking lot. Trails and upper lifts were somehow not crowded.

skisheep

Whiteface was a zoo on the 28th and very busy the rest of the week. Busiest I’ve ever seen it, gondi had ~20 minute lines on 28th which is unheard of there, and the summit chair actually had a line!

EDIT: 28th, not 27th :)

Last edited:

gregnye

Mt snow was nuts (right after the 20 inches of snow)

They were cars parked blocking the roads and a few car crashes. The cars were parked so close that I could barely open my car door! All the lifts were spinning and had a line too!

First time there though so idk if its always like that...

millerm277

Gore set a "record" on Friday. Not sure exactly what that means or what the time period was but there were tons of people in the lodge and parking lot. Trails and upper lifts were somehow not crowded.

Every parking lot was full, and there was at least a mile or so of cars parked on the road.

Agreed with the lack of crowds. Gondi had a short line, nothing on any other lift.

SkiFanE

Sunday river was ultimate shit show Friday. Heard it was 3rd busiest ever. With some major lifts on windhokld. Talk about a downer day after pow day. Parking was insane. Somehow we always seemed to get bad intel on what was open/closed. Then had to return home at noon to drop a sick kid off and return for second round of parking hell. Rest of days were manageable but def busy. Good for the ski business all around !

The Sneak

We were at Sugarbush during the storm on the 27th. It dumped all day and it was crazy busy. Like 20 minute lift lines for Castlerock. I can't even imagine how busy Friday the 28th was.

Also there was a moose.

SIKSKIER

Friday,it seems was crazy everywhere.My business partner said SR was almost a record.Cannon was a zoo also with the Peabody lodge almost unable to get inside.Glad I could ski to the car and go home next door.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sugarbush reported record skier visits, in history.

http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-...igh-days-for-skier-visits-over-the-past-week/

For Christmas week, "The resort is reporting an increase of 14% over the busiest Christmas week ever recorded under the ownership of Summit Ventures."

For their busiest day, "
The resort experienced its busiest day ever this past Friday, December 28th, where visits were 9% higher than its previous record."

I'd say that's pretty significant.

arik

I was at Mount Snow on Sunday, 12/30.

I parked at the Carinthia section, it was not crowded when I got there at 10:30 am. I was able to get a great spot just a short walk from the lift.

In terms of crowding on the hill I thought it was perfect. Short lines for this lifts, was on the chair in 2 minutes at most and often no wait. The trails didn't seem crowded to me either, despite TNF being closed (not sure why).

I should mention I am a regular there and know where to go to avoid lines and crowds. Mount Snow is great in that sense, even on packed holiday weekends it's easy to avoid lines if you know where to go.

It was super windy so lifts stopped a lot but everyone seemed to be having fun in the great snow.

As much as I dislike crowds I am glad the northeast resorts are doing OK financially.

AdironRider

Due to pesky account regulations I cant comment officially,

but it sure was crowded! I had to wait like 5 minutes for a lift a couple times.

drjeff

I was at Mount Snow on Sunday, 12/30.

I parked at the Carinthia section, it was not crowded when I got there at 10:30 am. I was able to get a great spot just a short walk from the lift.

In terms of crowding on the hill I thought it was perfect. Short lines for this lifts, was on the chair in 2 minutes at most and often no wait. The trails didn't seem crowded to me either, despite TNF being closed (not sure why).

I should mention I am a regular there and know where to go to avoid lines and crowds. Mount Snow is great in that sense, even on packed holiday weekends it's easy to avoid lines if you know where to go.

It was super windy so lifts stopped a lot but everyone seemed to be having fun in the great snow.

As much as I dislike crowds I am glad the northeast resorts are doing OK financially.

The Northface on Sunday was the combo of the wind velocity and the wind angle :mad: I know that about 1:30PM when I went to the summit for my last time on Sunday that it was gusting enough to almost knock my 225lb frame over :eek: After that I just started lapping Ego Alley and was enjoying all the fresh soft blown in snow and the lack of crowds on it - just like yourself, being a regular has it's advantages to knowing where to go to both find an uncrowded lift and some good snow and good terrain on even the busiest of days! Now if I could of had as much luck with finding an uncrowded bar stool up in the Station Taproom after I was done skiing for the day! ;) :lol:

dmc

I was down in NYC partying with the person who runs Hunter's hotel...
She's was saying some big numbers for the week!!!

Which is awesome!!! Let everyone ski that week... Mothball week... Do it!!

4aprice

Love reading this thread. Great to see all the areas doing good business. Here at home Camelback did extremely well despite limited terrain. Know a record number of lessons were sold over the holidays (like to see more skiers/boarders come into the fold). The guns are blasting away and over 2/3 of the mountain should be open this weekend. I say build that base, get the crowds in till Presidents week (alot of schools are losing Pres week to Sandy so it may not be so bad). Tough it out till then and then really enjoy March and April.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ