• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whistler/Blackomb Begins Huge Expansion

millerm277

I can't wait for the Crystal Chair replacement, a lot of the skiing off there is great, but held back by it currently requiring a LONG traverse on Blackcomb Glacier Road + 2 lift rides to get back up.

Not sure I agree with such dramatic capacity increases up on the top of Blackcomb, and the 3rd leg of the Excalibur gondola seems unnecessary.

Over on the Whistler side, I like upgrading Emerald to a 6-pack and the new lift for the other terrain there, stuff in Symphony looks good as well. The rest looks very interesting.

deadheadskier

Staff member

deadheadskier

Staff member
Without scouring through all the webpages, does anyone know what the total skiable acreage will be when the build out is complete? Also, what is the timeline of the expansion?

jaytrem

Notice on the Whistler plan the new Harmony is listed as an 8 seater. I guess they wimped out of trying to get 8 people organized.

Interesting thing about BC ski areas, pretty much every one of them has a crazy huge master plan, even some of the smallest places. Whistler probably has a much better chance of actually building most of it though. If you enjoy looking all the crazy plans there are some links in this old skilifts.org thread....

http://www.skilifts.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9163

Newpylong

Wow things have changed since I was there in the early 90's. Just about the only lifts that were there at the time are the Castskinner and Crystal Triples at Blackcomb and the main gondola at Whistler.

When I was there there was still a centerpole double and an old 4 seat gondola out of Whistler village :-o
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbsteers/2386320353/

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Without scouring through all the webpages, does anyone know what the total skiable acreage will be when the build out is complete?

I think I saw somewhere that the expansion will put the acreage to over 10,000 acres which is big, but doesn't seem like too much when you take into account that the place already has 8,000 acres.

gregnye

In my opinion---too many lifts!!

But, I don't think it will overload the trails at all--having skiied there (i don't know how crowded it gets though as I went at the end of the season)

Like really, does Franz chair really need to be replaced? Its never running!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Also increasing vertical by 141 ft! Total vertical will now be 5421. But here's the catch: The extended vertical is on Whistler which is already 260ft behind in vertical to Blackomb. So you can't ski the advertised vertical drop in one run.

WWF-VT

Also increasing vertical by 141 ft! Total vertical will now be 5421. But here's the catch: The extended vertical is on Whistler which is already 260ft behind in vertical to Blackomb. So you can't ski the advertised vertical drop in one run.

If I can't get all that vertical drop in one run then there is no reason to go there.

SIKSKIER

I like the relocation of the Crystal chair.The Harmony definatety needed an upgrade on capacity.It really doesn't effect skier density that much as the real issue on powder days was the long line on that lift.

Newpylong

If I can't get all that vertical drop in one run then there is no reason to go there.

Ski from the top of Whistler (or even the Roundhouse) to the bottom of the Creek and then re-evaluate. You won't be able to feel your legs twice over.