• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock - 2/10

WinnChill

Gunstock
2/10/13
Powder/Packed Powder

The planets aligned--big storm, and then son's hockey games cancelled for the weekend! Busy shoveling out Saturday but we headed up early this morning. Our normal Dunkin stop didn't have any donuts--nuthin--the storm delayed DUNKIN DONUTS deliveries...now THAT's a bad storm!

Cold start--maybe 10 degrees with a few puffs of wind. About 15th or 20th chair and hit Gunsmoke and over to Pistol chair for a few runs on Pistol and Blundersmoke TP for some super smooth fresh cord. Flintlock had nice loose powder turns, then down Middle Trigger had a few pockets of frozen granular mixed in but still fun. On next trip up the Panorama, we saw a lot of new fresh tracks down the lift line from Hot Shot--it looked open! What a surprise that was that the rope was dropped--no base hardly and we were ripping up edges on rocks and tons of sprouting saplings (not sure if that's normal to open like that)--see pic. It certainly took us a while--both my son and I took a couple slow/soft tumbles each--no biggie but it was tough going until it leveled out midslope and you could sail through some nice powder--just that top portion was a mess...notice everyone mostly standing/evaluating rather than skiing. But after all of that, the expert trail Hot Shot was my son's favorite trail of the day! Atta Boy!

We could only spend half a day and had to leave just as temps were more comfortable under bluebird conditions. Lines were getting long anyways but still good progress...5-10minutes or so.

Another score on fresh pow.

Lift.jpg

Smith.jpg
Fresh Cord on Smith
Recoil.jpg
Flintlock
HotShot2.jpg
Hot Shot

Attachments

• HotShot1.jpg
    HotShot1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 80

xlr8r

I saw a bunch of that shwack at Ragged today too.

Pico typically has a ton of brush like that sticking up on their natural trails, I would almost consider it their trademark feature. Brush doesn't bother me as long as the cover is good, as it keeps a lot of other people off those runs.