• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Champion at 17, American Wins in Slalom

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Warp, did you see her after her finish? She was, totally astounded (as were her parents!). She simply didn't know what to do with herself. She was crying and couldn't move, ended up getting down on her knees. Talk about a dream come true! This young lady has a hugely promising future. I don't think the US has had much success in SL. Our team is cranking it up.

BTW, did you see the photo of Lindsey's legs post-surgery? She posted it on her FB page. ewwww. Only the best of athletes could recover from that.

Masskier

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74450074/

Warp Daddy

Warp, did you see her after her finish? She was, totally astounded (as were her parents!). She simply didn't know what to do with herself. She was crying and couldn't move, ended up getting down on her knees. Talk about a dream come true! This young lady has a hugely promising future. I don't think the US has had much success in SL. Our team is cranking it up.

BTW, did you see the photo of Lindsey's legs post-surgery? She posted it on her FB page. ewwww. Only the best of athletes could recover from that.

Yeah Bill saw it , she is an impressive young lady . her zeal , work ethic , focus coupled with talent AND strong parental support should carry her far . The Canadians love her on TV rhey called her Vonn's successor and rave about her FOCUS and dedication as a real STUDENT of the sport . I agree she has a wonderful future . Go USA

SkiRaceParent

Wow. I did not realize that. Super congrats!

Yes. because in the US alpine skiing is covered as if it's a 3rd tier sport. Never anything on live TV unless you are one of the 20% of the population that has it available to them on DirecTV or DISH as your service provider. Also, if you are lucky like on Saturday, they will run 45 minutes of tape delay coverage somewhere between the snowmobile jumping and freestyle skiing competitions. In the meantime, three quarters of Europe are attending, tuning in and partying around these events like they are the Super Bowl.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm with you all the way. Which is why I had to go to lengths and $$ to watch the world cup races live.

I would love to pay for internet streaming video coverage. Without exposure, how else can I (and everyone else) learn? Imagine the NFL without television/cable/satellite!

Even during the Olympics, people get interested for about the half our they show of the "highlights", then it's gone.

I've paid good money in the past for Ski Racing magazine, but I really don't get much out of it without actually seeing what's going on. Selfishly, I'd rather be out skiing first, but I'm definitely a big fan of the Alpine teams and Bobsled (don't ask!) I don't even know anyone who races other than adult beer/club leagues and NASTAR. None of my kids ever had the urge to compete; that makes it difficult to engage. Hmmm.

SkiRaceParent

totally agree with everything you guys are saying. That's why I think that Mikaela will bring a lot of attention and exposure to ski racing

I agree in that next year will be the once every 4 year bump up in attention due to the Olympics. But with that said, in all due respect, what will be different with Mikaela than what we've seen with Lindsey Vonn, Bode Miller and Ted Ligety? I still feel like the USSA has de-emphasized alpine (or at least relative to other countries) for freestyle, etc. and this is leading to it being more difficult to find good coverage of alpine racing in the US unless you go through many, many extra measures. Unless something changes between Universal Sports and the Cable companies, this is unfortunately not going to attract many new eyes to the sport outside of the olympics bump, in my opinion.

ZYDECORICH

I agree in that next year will be the once every 4 year bump up in attention due to the Olympics. But with that said, in all due respect, what will be different with Mikaela than what we've seen with Lindsey Vonn, Bode Miller and Ted Ligety? I still feel like the USSA has de-emphasized alpine (or at least relative to other countries) for freestyle, etc. and this is leading to it being more difficult to find good coverage of alpine racing in the US unless you go through many, many extra measures. Unless something changes between Universal Sports and the Cable companies, this is unfortunately not going to attract many new eyes to the sport outside of the olympics bump, in my opinion.

Kinda have to agree with you. I work on Universal Sports Programming, and most of what I edit (as far as ski/snowboard events) are "Dew Tour" events that really don't embrace Alpine.You do see them now and then but not that often. :(

snoseek

Yes. because in the US alpine skiing is covered as if it's a 3rd tier sport. Never anything on live TV unless you are one of the 20% of the population that has it available to them on DirecTV or DISH as your service provider. Also, if you are lucky like on Saturday, they will run 45 minutes of tape delay coverage somewhere between the snowmobile jumping and freestyle skiing competitions. In the meantime, three quarters of Europe are attending, tuning in and partying around these events like they are the Super Bowl.

Ski racing is in their culture. Here in America people under 40 are not very interested in downhill racing for the most part. Freestyle skiing and off piste skiing are what we watch because for the most part thats what we do here. Not to take anything away from racing but I just don't see that trend happening here, especially considering how successful the us team has been over the last decade compared with when people actually cared about racing and the us team sucked.

Congrats, 17 though...lots of potential there for sure!!! She'll be a rockstar over in Europe maybe