• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

In Bounds at Jay

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Skiing Jay this Saturday but every time I go (usually once a year) I end up being dragged over to ski the Dip. Everyone just gravitates there and it gets tracked out so I'm not that thrilled by it. I'm not prepared to ski Big Jay - I don't have the mental inclination or the equipment (I'm working up to it albeit slowly).

I just need something different to suggest to my Dip addicted friends. What is your favorite inbounds glade - what do you suggest? Is the best choice the Bonny and Freezer chair? Not looking for any powder stashes here - just something fun to ski. Thanks.

crank

Often the best snow on the hill is down at Beaver Pond and Andre's. For steeper and longer, Everglades are my favorite.

snowmonster

Timbuktu, Expo, Noth Glade, Beaver Pond and Beyond Beaver Pond are very nice glades. Moderate pitch and good tree spacing. I can lap these all day. The only problem with the latter two is that there is a flat run-out at the end.

If you want tighter trees, have a go at Everglades, Staircase, Vertigo and KitzWoods. Everglades seem to go on forever and Kitz Woods has a way of kicking my butt.

I know you said you're not interested in Big Jay. But, if you change your mind, I'm coordinating with some AZers about that. PM me if interested. Anyway, hope to see you at Jay this Saturday.

crank

I have found that in Andre's everybody tends to go all the way out to the edge. If the boundry area is tracked out head back towards Beaver Pond and you may find more freshies

I find it hard to believe you can't find fresh tracks going OB off the Jet though. There is a lot of good skiing between Timbukto and where you commit to the dip.

Huck_It_Baby

I find it hard to believe you can't find fresh tracks going OB off the Jet though. There is a lot of good skiing between Timbukto and where you commit to the dip.

Agreed. I find fresh snow days after a storm in the Dip. Just gotta go out a little further.

I also find that while it's not very steep at all you can find fresh snow in Kokomo easily.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Seems the consensus is for skiing off the Freezer. They all sound really good and I don't mind a flat run out especially out once its tracked. My biggest problem there is that I'll be with two snow boarders.:wink: We'll see how it goes.

My problem with skiing the Dip is two-fold. It gets so much attention that finding fresh isn't a forgone conclusion. I don't know the area that well and maybe I don't go far enough to skiers right to find fresh. Second getting back to the lifts just sucks. Bring two cars - park one on 242 if you can find a space on a Saturday. Then park the first car back Stateside then ski to 242 - drive back and then what repeat? Too much driving for me - can't deal.:blink: I was already torched here for suggesting a shuttle so I won't go there. I might consider doing the same thing for Big Jay but really I'd almost rather take one car and skin up Big Jay rather than fuss with the two car tango. A third alternative is to have a free heel - tele or AT set up and ski back I suppose.

Thank you all for the suggestions and trail summaries. See you out there.:snow:

Huck_It_Baby

Seems the consensus is for skiing off the Freezer. They all sound really good and I don't mind a flat run out especially out once its tracked. My biggest problem there is that I'll be with two snow boarders.:wink: We'll see how it goes.

My problem with skiing the Dip is two-fold. It gets so much attention that finding fresh isn't a forgone conclusion. I don't know the area that well and maybe I don't go far enough to skiers right to find fresh. Second getting back to the lifts just sucks. Bring two cars - park one on 242 if you can find a space on a Saturday. Then park the first car back Stateside then ski to 242 - drive back and then what repeat? Too much driving for me - can't deal.:blink: I was already torched here for suggesting a shuttle so I won't go there. I might consider doing the same thing for Big Jay but really I'd almost rather take one car and skin up Big Jay rather than fuss with the two car tango. A third alternative is to have a free heel - tele or AT set up and ski back I suppose.

Thank you all for the suggestions and trail summaries. See you out there.:snow:

I don't find the run out that bad coming back to the Freezer but snowboarders may feel differently. They groom the trail anyway that brings you back to the lift.

I suggest pushing out a little further in the Dip each time you try it. Eventually you will figure out the furthest you can go skiers right and still have enough vertical to traverse back. I have found you can get pretty far out and still make it back to the Jet. I will typically ski a few Dip runs without going to 242 during the day but then at the end of the day for the final run ski to my car parked at the Long trail lot.

I'll be skinning up tmw from 242 if you want to get after it.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't find the run out that bad coming back to the Freezer but snowboarders may feel differently. They groom the trail anyway that brings you back to the lift.

I suggest pushing out a little further in the Dip each time you try it. Eventually you will figure out the furthest you can go skiers right and still have enough vertical to traverse back. I have found you can get pretty far out and still make it back to the Jet. I will typically ski a few Dip runs without going to 242 during the day but then at the end of the day for the final run ski to my car parked at the Long trail lot.

This is the way to do it.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

This is the way to do it.

I guess the trick is knowing the point of no return - knowing when its time to traverse left. I agree - that would be the best way. What the heck - I know damned well I end up out there anyway.:roll:

Oh that really does sound good but I'll have to pass this Saturday. I'm renting inbound demo's (Cham 87's) and I'm not even familiar enough to know what the tmw is - that's not part of the long trail? :dunce:

Huck_It_Baby

Oh that really does sound good but I'll have to pass this Saturday. I'm renting inbound demo's (Cham 87's) and I'm not even familiar enough to know what the tmw is - that's not part of the long trail? :dunce:

Sorry for confusion and lazy typing!

Tmw= tomorrow

I meant I'm skinning up from 242 on FRIDAY (tmw).

Huck_It_Baby

^ If I could get out of work, I'd be on that skin track with you tomorrow. Sigh.

Tell work you have the stomach flu. Co-workers get real nervous about that one and won't want you there.

Type an email to work around 5-6am explaining how you have been up all night puking and that you might be "a little late to work". Co-workers will be disgusted and scared and will likely tell you not to come in.

=)

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Sorry for confusion and lazy typing!

Tmw= tomorrow

I meant I'm skinning up from 242 on FRIDAY (tmw).

Ha ha! Too funny. I would so love to do that sometime though. I have work tomorrow too. And this time of year its tough to get a mid-week day off to ski. Just the same be warned: I am a SLOW hiker. Old, fat and asthmatic - still want me around?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Fresh tracks don't last as long as they used to. No one goes there any more, it's too crowded. Same with The Dip. Crazy busy last time I was there, hard to believe. But it still had some of the freshest snow on the mountain. Worth the effort? Barely. Definitely not as much as it used to be. When I first started skiing Jay, you could lap the deep all afternoon and still have fresh lines. It is what it is, but I feel you abubob that I generally don't gravitate towards that area... unless...

;)

Oops, sorry, I'm not supposed to do that am I? Keeping stuff to myself and all... that doesn't seem to be en vogue anymore...

As far as Jay proper, no on map trail is going to have as good of snow conditions as the Dip regardless of time of day. So if you are comparing on map to the Dip, I'd say go for the Dip whenever you can because any on map glades are going to be packed down within 2 hours of opening.